Small things amuse small minds.
Terminal is a powerful tool. But it can be used for fun things too! You can watch Star Wars in Terminal, and now you can open the Nyan Cat on Terminal. The possibilities are endless! To show the Nyan Cat in your Terminal window, you will need to enter a command. There are two different commands for two separate systems:
nc -v miku.acm.uiuc.edu 23
nc -T miku.acm.uiuc.edu 23
Nyan Cat works for all of the following Terminals:
- Gnome Terminal
- Linux framebuffers (software, run as is; hardware terminals use TERM=fallback telnet miku.acm.uiuc.edu)
- Terminal.app on 10.7 (10.6 and before, run TERM=ansi telnet miku.acm.uiuc.edu)
- Windows Terminal: (Command Prompt) Run as telnet -t vtnt miku.acm.uiuc.edu
- VT220 with TERM=vt220 telnet miku.acm.uiuc.edu
- Shell in a Box (web terminal) with TERM=linux telnet miku.acm.uiuc.edu
When the mail server is down, you can check out the mirrors which are basically backup servers:
- telnet thefinn93.com
- telnet nyan.howes.net.nz
- telnet baud.org.uk
- telnet ebal.ee 666
This kind of stuff is basically great for pranks and making people laugh. You will definitely get some weird looks if you start doing this on computers in a public area. How funny would it be if you set all of your school's computers to show the Nyan Cat? Unfortunately, there is no sound. Only animations. But nonetheless, it's funny.
Will you be trying this out on your computer or iDevice? Share in the comments below!
Sources: Nyancat Telnet Server