Another iPhone Ignites, This Time in Brazil
Another iPhone exploded, this time in Brazil.
According to Blog Do iPhone
—a Brazillian website—Ayla Mota woke up because of a bad smell. Mota then claims she saw sparks flying from the screen of her iPhone 4 and the room was filled with smoke. Mota unplugged the iPhone from the wall, opened a window, and left the premises unhurt.
This self combusting iPhone isn’t the first one reported this week. Another user’s iPhone self combusted shortly after landing in Sydney Australia. Unfortunately for Mota she purchased her iPhone 4 while in France and her carrier warranty only covers devices bought in Brazil.
Comparing the two devices both share similar damage profiles with the burning in question occurring in the center of the battery. However, this second one seems much worse, most likely because Mota was asleep while it burned for an extended period of time. The Sydney iPhone on the other hand was put out quickly after combusting.
With millions and millions of iPhone 4s and 4Ss in the wild these two reports could be explained away as anomalies. For the sake of every iPhone owners’ safety hopefully these are isolated incidents, otherwise Apple could have a messy recall on their hands.
, Blog Do iPhone