• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • HP CEO Says Apple to Likely Take Away PC Leadership Position in 2012


    Meg Whitman, HP’s new CEO recently told journalists that Apple was doing “a great job” and that her company’s rival (which was once smaller) is likely to pass HP to become the world’s leading PC maker next year. When asked by Le Figaro, a French newspaper, Whitman agreed with the Canalays' prediction that Apple’s sales of Macs and iPads would make it the leading PC vendor in 2012.

    Whitman continued to add that she thinks “it’s possible if you integrate the shelves. Apple makes a great job. We need to improve our game and our products to take over the leadership position. Apple could go past HP in 2012. We will try to become the champion in 2013. It takes time for the products on which I have come to influence the market." (via Google Translation)

    It was also noted that as CEO, Whitman devoted two teams of 100 employees each to study whether or not to spin off or sell HP’s Personal Systems Group that builds PC. This decision resulted in HP announcing that it would keep the PSG in place. What consumers are still waiting for is the fate of HP’s webOS, which is to be released within the next two weeks. Whitman added that HP still has a team of 600 employees “in limbo” waiting for an answer to the decision.

    When asked if tablet computers were comparable to PCs, Whitman answered that they weren’t yet and continued by noting that tablets are mainly used for the consumption of media and emails. According to her, tablets are not effective for productivity software. “Our studies show that this is an additional purchase that does not encroach on the PC market,” Whitman said, as she refuted the iPad’s non-controversial impact on the PC market. "This is an important area on which we want to go," she added.

    An interesting thing to take note of here is that HP beat Apple’s iPad to market last year with its slate PC running Windows 7, a device that could run Microsoft’s Office suite. However, the market largely ignored the HP Slate PC (and other Windows 7 tablets) and HP as a company abandoned the product as it shifted its developer resources toward building this year’s webOS powered TouchPad, which also failed to find interest in the market.

    As of right now, Whitman indicated that HP’s future tablet strategy will return to using Microsoft’s Windows 8, which is expected to be available at the end of next year. It’s also rumored that Microsoft will be bringing its Office suite to the iPad, where Apple’s own iWork apps exist as the top selling productivity software in the App Store currently. It is a bit interesting to see the CEO of such a large corporation admit that they will be passed up and acknowledge their faults.

    Source: Le Figaro
    This article was originally published in forum thread: HP CEO Says Apple to Likely Take Away PC Leadership Position in 2012 started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 41 Comments
    1. lkailburn's Avatar
      lkailburn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      This is slightly underestimated. Should be about 20%-25%.

      Wiki says in march 2011 osx market share tipped 14%

      -Luke
    1. anekin007's Avatar
      anekin007 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
      They hired a REALIST! She knows that in some areas HP aren't competing how they could be and should be. HP no they have to start moving in a different direction so I'm looking forward to seeing the out come in 2012-2013. On a side note hopefully they will keep webOS and improve on it.
      What kind of leader does not have the confidence in the company you are running? HP was at 28.9% market share and apple was at 12.9% in 2011 Q3. She put eBay down to the grown then left and went into politics which she failed. I hope HP get rid of her quick before she makes another mistake.
    1. Moreno53's Avatar
      Moreno53 -
      Lol at the morons saying the iPad isn't a PC....keep thinking that while the rest of the world moves on from that antiquated thinking.

      Good on this CEO for being a realist and realizing that markets and consumer tastes have changed, and that she needs to get her company up to speed.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
      Lol at the morons saying the iPad isn't a PC....keep thinking that while the rest of the world moves on from that antiquated thinking.
      Yeah we sure will keep thinking that......especially as I stare at the GoToMyPC app that's sitting right there in the APP STORE for users to connect their iPhone or iPad to a REAL computer to do the things that they can't do on their TABLET.

      The CEO of HP herself even agrees with that fact.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
      Wiki says in march 2011 osx market share tipped 14%

      -Luke
      Wiki says a lot of things. I made Wiki say that a box jellyfish was made from cardboard.
    1. lkailburn's Avatar
      lkailburn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Wiki says a lot of things. I made Wiki say that a box jellyfish was made from cardboard.
      Well they are aren't they?

      I purposely posted up that I pulled it from wiki. I would have thought you would have already read this. http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1821731

      Sigh


      -Luke
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Didn't she just tried to run for governor of California? executive to ebay I think? I feel bad for HP hiring such uneducated CEO.
    1. amyking's Avatar
      amyking -
      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      Highly doubtful especially since Mac is only about 15%-20% of the market
      15%-20% ,,is it the accurately data?
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by amyking View Post
      15%-20% ,,is it the accurately data?
      No, that's not accurate. It is actually more like 6-7% I believe.
    1. Xenthis's Avatar
      Xenthis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
      Lol at the morons saying the iPad isn't a PC....keep thinking that while the rest of the world moves on from that antiquated thinking.

      Good on this CEO for being a realist and realizing that markets and consumer tastes have changed, and that she needs to get her company up to speed.
      Are you a moron? You obviously don't use your iPad for anything other than checking your email and browsing the web.

      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      No, that's not accurate. It is actually more like 6-7% I believe.
      Seeing is believing so: iOS and Mac OS X market shares hit record highs
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      No, that's not accurate. It is actually more like 6-7% I believe.
      Wordwide, yes. In the U.S., refer to my picture.

      Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
      Are you a moron? You obviously don't use your iPad for anything other than checking your email and browsing the web.
      A jailbroken iOS 4.3.3 iPad has ALL yes, all of the software features of a full-blown PC. You have an open filesystem, the ability to upload/download, and applications that can mimic PC programs. iWork for office, Garageband and iMovie for media editing, and games. I mean... nothing is really missing. The keyboard and mouse have been around since the 80's. This is what the PC is becoming. Like the cassette player, the mouse will die. Macs are now using multi-touch pads instead of mice now. It's becoming the standard on many PC's too. The iPad just takes the multi-touch pad and overlays it on top of the screen.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Wordwide, yes. In the U.S., refer to my picture.
      I am not in the US so I like world figures better
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      The keyboard and mouse have been around since the 80's. This is what the PC is becoming. Like the cassette player, the mouse will die. Macs are now using multi-touch pads instead of mice now. It's becoming the standard on many PC's too. The iPad just takes the multi-touch pad and overlays it on top of the screen.
      Yeah I heard that Apple did trials of a new Mac laptop where the whole screen was touchable(not the iPad an actual Mac OSX) but users couldn't use it with ease, more so I think the testers are retards and Apple should produce that product
    1. lkailburn's Avatar
      lkailburn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Wordwide, yes. In the U.S., refer to my picture.



      A jailbroken iOS 4.3.3 iPad has ALL yes, all of the software features of a full-blown PC. You have an open filesystem, the ability to upload/download, and applications that can mimic PC programs. iWork for office, Garageband and iMovie for media editing, and games. I mean... nothing is really missing. The keyboard and mouse have been around since the 80's. This is what the PC is becoming. Like the cassette player, the mouse will die. Macs are now using multi-touch pads instead of mice now. It's becoming the standard on many PC's too. The iPad just takes the multi-touch pad and overlays it on top of the screen.
      Keyword there was "software" features. And I would even debate that. I'm an IT professional and I do not own a tablet for business because it would just be dead weight in my bag, can't do everything I need on a day to day basis so I carry my laptop.

      -Luke
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
      Keyword there was "software" features. And I would even debate that. I'm an IT professional and I do not own a tablet for business because it would just be dead weight in my bag, can't do everything I need on a day to day basis so I carry my laptop.

      -Luke
      Give it time, tablets will be as customizable as desktop PC's.

      Remember the 8track cassette player? You couldn't modify it. Now we have iPods and smartphones which can have upgraded memory and storage and basically every part that a computer uses. I have no doubt that in the near future we will be buying RAM, processor, and storage upgrades for our smartphones and tablets.

      I think you're just judging too early in its time. I would say modern tablets are still the Beta of what tablets will be in the future.
    1. Xenthis's Avatar
      Xenthis -
      It is impossible to type as fast on a digital keyboard than a regular one. Current tablets do not have the processing power to even come to compete with computers. The only people using major multi-touch tech are Apple, and having a trackpad for a desktop machine makes absolutely no sense to me. The mouse cannot die. It is a much more powerful tool than a touchscreen. You only have 5 fingers. Some mice (Razer Naga) have more than 10 buttons.
      I am sure that someday in the future, tablets can compete with computers, but that day has not happened yet.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
      It is impossible to type as fast on a digital keyboard than a regular one. Current tablets do not have the processing power to even come to compete with computers. The only people using major multi-touch tech are Apple, and having a trackpad for a desktop machine makes absolutely no sense to me. The mouse cannot die. It is a much more powerful tool than a touchscreen. You only have 5 fingers. Some mice (Razer Naga) have more than 10 buttons.
      I am sure that someday in the future, tablets can compete with computers, but that day has not happened yet.
      The mouse can indeed die. This is because it's becoming an extraneous device and companies are realizing that touch technology can be integrated into the devices themselves which makes it both more expensive and also more portable. Consumers want portability, and as the iPad has shown, people will pay expensive costs for portability. Companies will take advantage of more expensive things whenever they can to make more money.

      Additionally, Apple is thinking in the future. That is why they, "re-invented" the tablet. Remember those old Tablet PC's that had keyboards and track-pads and the ability to use mice? They, "crashed and burned." Today's operating systems are built so well with touch controls that the mouse simply will not be able to compete as time moves forward. Windows 8 will be touch-based. There will be the option to use a mouse but it just won't feel right. Every company will soon work with touch controls one way or another.

      If there is anything I see the mouse living for, it's gaming. Companies might sell high-end mice for PC game controllers, however everything else can be done with the touch controls.

      As far as keyboarding speeds. Well, it's been proven that the old fashioned abacus can beat a calculator at math speeds. But the convenient calculator is dominant. Technology always buys out primitive ways. That is why I think the keyboard and mouse will simply die in favor of touch computers.

      That's not to say that you won't be able to continue to buy them. You can still buy an abacus, right?
    1. lkailburn's Avatar
      lkailburn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Give it time, tablets will be as customizable as desktop PC's.

      Remember the 8track cassette player? You couldn't modify it. Now we have iPods and smartphones which can have upgraded memory and storage and basically every part that a computer uses. I have no doubt that in the near future we will be buying RAM, processor, and storage upgrades for our smartphones and tablets.

      I think you're just judging too early in its time. I would say modern tablets are still the Beta of what tablets will be in the future.

      I agree with you there. It is early yet in the life of touch and tablets. But that doesn't count as a handicap in the comparison of power,features,usability,functionality desktop/laptop vs tablet today.

      -Luke
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
      I agree with you there. It is early yet in the life of touch and tablets. But that doesn't count as a handicap in the comparison of power,features,usability,functionality desktop/laptop vs tablet today.

      -Luke
      True and then there's the fact that the mouse actually hinders user experience and

      there's nothing u can do with a mouse that u can't do with touch technology
    1. quidam_brujah's Avatar
      quidam_brujah -
      Ha... Whitman...she bought Skype for 4.1billion and sold it for 2.75billion. She paid 200K for shoving a subordinate. She got sweet pre-public IPO deals from Goldman Sachs. She couldn't beat Jerry Brown for governor even after spending record dollars of her own money.If she blows it at HP, it may be that HP is cursed by female CEOs.