• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Bloomberg: Verizon iPhone by Valentine's Day


    Bloomberg broke the story on Wednesday evening that Apple will hold one of its grand media events "very soon" - likely on or before Valentine's Day 2011 - to announce a new partnership with Verizon. According to the report, Apple will use this occasion to reveal a new CDMA version of the popular Apple handset - one that is compatible with Verizon's network.

    Customers are expected to stampede to the new pairing, leaving AT&T (T), until now the exclusive U.S. distributor of the iPhone, with an enormous problem.
    It is clear, however, that Apple will not be ending its relationship with AT&T. Instead, Apple will simply be ending its exclusive relationship with AT&T - an agreement that has been in place since the iPhone's 2007 debut. Bloomberg's coverage asserts that Apple's introduction of the Verizon iPhone will not take place at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next week as initially thought. This information comes "a person familiar with Apple's plans who is not authorized to discuss them publicly."

    While many prospective iPhone buyers and current owners are dubious about the carrier expansion, AT&T has not taken any chances during the past twelve months. Like at no time before in the carrier's history, AT&T has been rolling out one promotion after the next to convince subscribers to extend their contracts for another two years. And, for the most part, it's worked. "In part by easing the cost of upgrading to Apple's new iPhone 4," Bloomberg reports, "it enticed 15 million of its 23 million iPhone subscribers to sign new two-year contracts."

    Bloomberg/Businessweek
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Bloomberg: Verizon iPhone by Valentine's Day started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 108 Comments
    1. saunupe1911's Avatar
      saunupe1911 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      I don't want a CDMA phone...what are the benefits?? Every time i want to make a change to my physical phone, I would have to bring it to an authorized Verizon dealer....NO THANKS!! Thats why i'll stick with the GSM or next the UMTS technology, as it is easier to manipulate and change. If i want to go out of the country and use a prepaid chip...gee wiz i can...hahahaha but not with CDMA it's very limited in my eyes :]
      Yeah, I see the Verizon iphone being big, but it won't be as big as people think. I don't think millions of people are going to switch off top and I don't think they will gain millions of new customers either. This would have happened during the introduction of a new generation iPhone, but the luster of the iPhone 4 and 3G models have passed.
    1. rayzeur22's Avatar
      rayzeur22 -
      Quote Originally Posted by buzios View Post
      In all countries where iPhone is unlocked have multiple GSM carriers selling iPhones.

      In the US AT&T will continue to be the only GSM carrier with iPhone.
      I don't think AT&T will want the iPhone to be unlocked.
      ...unless a possible dual-band GSM/CDMA iPhone?
    1. saunupe1911's Avatar
      saunupe1911 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rayzeur22 View Post
      I really don't see CDMA data as an issue, mostly because the only time I will be using internet is with wifi, and even if I do have to use the 3G Internet during a call ill just say "call you right back". It's not a big deal, people
      That's your opinion. I can't live without that feature. I hate when people say I just use "wi-fi". Are you really surrounded constantly by wi-fi. I live in Dallas and I'm a software engineer. I'm never around wi-fi all the time. The barbershop doesn't have wi-fi. Clubs and bars don't have wi-fi, the interstate doesn't have wi-fi. These are all places were I consistently us both data and voice. I don't want to hang up just because I want to Google an address or find something on GPS.

      You obviously don't realize how big of a change it will be. The iPhone will not be the same in CDMA form. To each his own.
    1. daytonaviolet's Avatar
      daytonaviolet -
      but if ATT and Veriozon will both be having LTE soon, then why switch?
    1. unlvsac's Avatar
      unlvsac -
      Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
      No seriously everyone go to Verizon and I'll send you a Thank You for the extra bandwidth !!!
      Thinking the same thing. How many MMI people think they would switch if this happens? Just wondering.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
      They'll all gonna run back once they figure out that they can't place calls and access data at the same time! lol
      Yeah...
    1. ty22's Avatar
      ty22 -
      To everyone who is talking about no data/voice on CDMA, this isn't a limitation of CDMA. It's a limitation of EVDO (3G). Years ago they were going to pass EVDV to use for 3G, which means data and voice at the same time. It was too expensive, however. Recently, Verizon has been talking about a fix called SVDO, which allows data and voice at the same time.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      People he's messany with our heads.
    1. NSXrebel's Avatar
      NSXrebel -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
      I'm telling you, Verizon is such a better company than AT&T. Everything except the CDMA.
      yeah, VCast, and all the other crap is SO much better. Do they still cripple bluetooth and other features on their phones so they force you to buy from their services?



      Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
      I hope sprint gets the iPhone. I have at&t and I will switch to sprint if it ever gets an iPhone. Verizon has crappy service where I live. And verizon is over priced IMO.


      And sprints network is way way faster.

      I just hope carriers don't start branding the iPhone. No damn carrier logo on the back or on start up.
      Quote Originally Posted by fulcrom View Post
      This should mean it will unlock for a CDMA sprint network out here in the stick we only have sprint well it been rumor for years not wait and see i guess
      That's not gonna happen. Sprint is going their own way for their 4G using WiMax. Totally different than LTE. I don't see Apple making a WiMax iPhone for such a small market. Besides Sprint, I don't know of any other markets that use WiMax.

      Don't hold your breath for a Sprint iPhone.





      Quote Originally Posted by Nickaroni22 View Post
      So when Verizon finally lands the iPhone. What in gods name is Mr. Essany going to report on? What's the next iPhone rumor gonna be? I'm just glad this rumor will be ending, everyone knew Verizon would get the iPhone eventually. There's just so much money for Apple to make!
      No kidding, I'm sure something will come along..




      Quote Originally Posted by wirimi View Post
      in Mexico already this sale with iusacell is CDMA

      Can you say spam?
    1. chrisj979's Avatar
      chrisj979 -
      All this talk about network speeds and WiFi availability and the ability to talk and do data. Seriously how often do you do that? I have an iPhone & iPad and a lot of people I work with everyday do also and we are IT people. I see the convenience of it, but aside from Pandora, I know NO ONE using their phone and data that much. Oh yeah I'm at a bar or club looking up directions for what?? I'm at the bar. Oh I'm on the phone at the bar or whatever and I'm on the phone and suddenly need to use Google to help out the person on the other end who is at home by a computer. LOL and why am I out on a Friday night in a bar on the phone?

      As for CDMA with Verizon you can change your phone by logging into the Verizon site web no need to go to the store. Also Verizon has CDMA/GSM phones which use a SIM they call them World phones.

      Data usage slowing down the network, well considering Verizon is the number 1 Droid phone seller and DROIDS use just as much data, also having the Galaxy Tab, I think they'll be just fine. Just because AT&T made that mistake does not mean others didn't learn from it.

      For Sprint fans, sorry to tell you this but Sprint's financial outlook is looking real shady. They are already running to TMobile asking them for a bail out. Sprint may not make it through 2011. Don't believe me read up on your financial news.

      I'm glad it's happening more competition needs to ramp up because these phone prices are ridiculous, I can buy a netbook for $200, shoot I can even buy a decent laptop for $500.
    1. JerseyScottie's Avatar
      JerseyScottie -
      How many times is this rumor going to change.It's rather pathetic.Everytime a rumor drops it's "omg splat this is amazing!!" people need to realize this just isn't gonna happen! Just stop with the verizon iPhone rumors
    1. rayzeur22's Avatar
      rayzeur22 -
      Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
      That's your opinion. I can't live without that feature. I hate when people say I just use "wi-fi". Are you really surrounded constantly by wi-fi. I live in Dallas and I'm a software engineer. I'm never around wi-fi all the time. The barbershop doesn't have wi-fi. Clubs and bars don't have wi-fi, the interstate doesn't have wi-fi. These are all places were I consistently us both data and voice. I don't want to hang up just because I want to Google an address or find something on GPS.

      You obviously don't realize how big of a change it will be. The iPhone will not be the same in CDMA form. To each his own.
      I do realize how this could be a huge inconvenience for many people, but if they dont like it, they can stick with at&t. It's quality versus quantity. Quality or quantity of simultaneous uses on your phone?
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
      That's your opinion. I can't live without that feature. I hate when people say I just use "wi-fi". Are you really surrounded constantly by wi-fi. I live in Dallas and I'm a software engineer. I'm never around wi-fi all the time. The barbershop doesn't have wi-fi. Clubs and bars don't have wi-fi, the interstate doesn't have wi-fi. These are all places were I consistently us both data and voice. I don't want to hang up just because I want to Google an address or find something on GPS.

      You obviously don't realize how big of a change it will be. The iPhone will not be the same in CDMA form. To each his own.
      I agree. Until Verizon can use a technology that allows voice and data, their version of the iPhone is fail.
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      I actually look up stuff when on a call, so this is important to me. That and the fact that I get great AT&T service up and down the California coast means I'm sticking with my carrier. Of course, we'd all like cheaper service, but I'll believe that is in our futures when I see it. Fewer carriers equals less competition equals they charge what they want. I don't see Verizon getting the iPhone as bringing prices down, merely as opening up a bit of bandwidth as some users switch carriers. Oh, and of course less posts here about an unlock.
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      I check my email and twitter all the time while on speaker phone.
    1. skj8100's Avatar
      skj8100 -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post

      BTW, I've been on MMI for a while and still don't know why so many people hate Essany. What'd he do?
      It's because until the last couple months after he changed his name from messany, 98% of his posts were verizon iPhone rumors. It was always just one after another, after another, after another.....you get the picture.

      Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
      Get off messany back he reports the stuff people want to know just because it hasn't happened yet don't mean it won't. He isn't the only writer covering the verizon iPhone a lot of other outlets are writing about it. If u don't like it don't read the article.

      I for one will be glad when people jump ship to verizon I want the extra bandwidth so I have lightening fast speeds. Also it will give AT&T more reason to crank out faster 3G and their version of 4G


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
      Messany is that you from another login?
      You're right he isn't the only writer doing iPhone verizon rumors. But he is the writer who pretty much nonstop, until people gave him so much crap about it, wrote unspeculated rumors over and over again. By farrrrr more than any other writer I, and most of us, have ever seen.
    1. NSXrebel's Avatar
      NSXrebel -
      Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
      It's because until the last couple months after he changed his name from messany, 98% of his posts were verizon iPhone rumors. It was always just one after another, after another, after another.....you get the picture.



      Messany is that you from another login?
      You're right he isn't the only writer doing iPhone verizon rumors. But he is the writer who pretty much nonstop, until people gave him so much crap about it, wrote unspeculated rumors over and over again. By farrrrr more than any other writer I, and most of us, have ever seen.
      Thank you
    1. Team Infecti0n's Avatar
      Team Infecti0n -
      Bloomberg? Finally a credible source huh?
    1. skj8100's Avatar
      skj8100 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post

      I just hope carriers don't start branding the iPhone. No damn carrier logo on the back or on start up.
      Don't you worry....Apple will NEVER let that happen.
    1. Team Infecti0n's Avatar
      Team Infecti0n -
      Lol. The iPhone 5 booting up and has an AT&T animation. Hell no they won't let that happen lol. Or even put the Verizon or AT&T logos on the iPhone itself, like around the speaker!