Smoking iPhone 4 Frightens Passengers on Airplane
Apparently, an overheating, smoking, and slightly glowing iPhone 4 was enough to frighten the pants off of passengers on an Australian regional airline late last week, we're just now discovering.
Passengers on board the Regional Express (REX) say the flight crew had to extinguish a glowing red iPhone 4 that was the source of a creepy "dense smoke." Presumably, some on board thought the iPhone was an explosion risk or perhaps a bomb scare. But as it turns out, the device was just overheating. And, luckily, no one was harmed.
As we understand it, the entire incident was documented and subsequently reported to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) for investigation. As we all know, Apple has a history of battery issues with the iPhone 4, but the degree to which this particular device melted down is not common.
By no means should this story make anyone fearful of flying with their iPhones. But we'll keep you posted on the outcome of the ongoing investigation by aviation officials.