• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • [How To] Submit Your Crash Reports to the Chronic Dev Team: Help With Untether!

    In this guide, we will show you how to submit your crash reports to help the Chronic Dev Team find exploits for the iOS 5 untethered jailbreak. Please help them, by submitting your crash reports; it's quick and painless and goes to a good cause.

    The picture above is the Chronic Dev Team crash reporter. It was announced last night. This tool will submit your crash reports to the Chronic Dev Team. It will require your Mac OS X administrator password to run after you install it because it will change the server of your iTunes crash reports from Apple to the Chronic Dev Team instead. Please enter your password and allow the application to run. The server change is reversible. Allowing this tool to run will send the Chronic Dev Team information about everyone's crash reports. This will give the Chronic Dev Team a ton of situations to look at and hopefully offer them enough data to find more untethered jailbreak exploits. You can read more about it on the Chronic Dev Team blog, here.

    Right now, the Chronic Dev Team crash reporter is available for Mac OS X and Windows. This guide will work the same on Windows as it will for Mac OS X. Users can download the Chronic Dev Team crash reporter right now:
    Chronic Dev Team crash reporter for Mac.
    Chronic Dev Team crash reporter for Windows.

    After you open the application, the window will look like the picture above. It will ask you to plug an iDevice in. If you plug your iDevice in and you have a pass code set, you will get the following error message:



    To get rid of the error message, simply unlock your iDevice, enter the pass code, and once you are on the SpringBoard, you will notice that the error message is now gone. Go ahead and click the, "Do it!" button so that your crash reports will be submitted to the Chronic Dev Team. When you do this, it will begin uploading. The process takes about 20 seconds, give or take, depending on your internet speed as shown below:



    After it finishes, you can unplug your iDevice and submit crash reports for another iDevice or you can delete the tool. When it's finished, it will give you a, "SUCCESS" message as shown below:



    You are now finished. If you have uploaded your crash reports, then thank you for the generosity to the Chronic Dev Team. They will use your crash reports to gather data in trying to find more exploits for the untethered iOS 5 jailbreak.

    You can follow me on Twitter and I will keep you up to date on Chronic Dev Team news.

    How did the submission go for you? Share in the comments below!

    Sources Chronic Dev Team Blog
    This article was originally published in forum thread: [How To] Submit Your Crash Reports to the Chronic Dev Team: Help With Untether! started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 73 Comments
    1. CustomSS1's Avatar
      CustomSS1 -
      At first (when I read josh article) I thought this program was a little suspicious, but now it seems legit thanks to all the members who gave their feedback about this program.

      Though, I'm still not quite sure how these crash reports will help the development of an untethered jailbreak.
      But then again, I am a noob (or am I )
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post

      Though, I'm still not quite sure how these crash reports will help the development of an untethered jailbreak.
      Crashes are generally the result of poorly written or implemented code. This may be on Apple's side, or it may be on the dev's side who's app you are using (I'd get crashes all the time with various cydia apps). This may expose some holes that the team were previously unaware of.
    1. DnBKiD521's Avatar
      DnBKiD521 -
      I had 252 but It keeps failing around 35% .... :scratch head:
    1. DaLsim's Avatar
      DaLsim -
      Hope they can find an untether soon, with all this crash reports sent to them, included mine...
    1. lespaul79's Avatar
      lespaul79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by DnBKiD521 View Post
      I had 252 but It keeps failing around 35% .... :scratch head:

      Mine was failing at 35% too but I opened my phone to the springboard and then it successfully completed. Hope that helps.
    1. celeron's Avatar
      celeron -
      Iw will help Chronic Dev Team members find exploits with the crash reports. I've seen numerous times when devs have find crash to develop exploits. An example would be the DSi.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post
      At first (when I read josh article) I thought this program was a little suspicious, but now it seems legit thanks to all the members who gave their feedback about this program.

      Though, I'm still not quite sure how these crash reports will help the development of an untethered jailbreak.
      But then again, I am a noob (or am I )
      Which members? Where? What makes you think it is something to use?

      I have yet to be convinced that I should use it.
    1. Liveitlive's Avatar
      Liveitlive -
      I get a "ERROR: could not upload crash reports!" wtd now?
    1. iYeow's Avatar
      iYeow -
      Done > iphone 4 at 5.0.1 and 3gs at 5.0
    1. Liveitlive's Avatar
      Liveitlive -
      Oh... And I got 3,773 before the errors & 3,779 after lol. Seems far more than most others I've seen, guess that's a good thing. Once I can UL anyways.
    1. harmycl's Avatar
      harmycl -
      UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED

    1. xTorch's Avatar
      xTorch -
      Wow, I got only 18 reports. Weird.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      Which members? Where? What makes you think it is something to use?

      I have yet to be convinced that I should use it.
      There is a certain level of trust that goes into allowing a program developed by a third party group of people to jailbreak your phone, and then install apps from a third party source not warranted by Apple. I don't see this sort of application as any different, in terms of risk. (If risk/security is not what you were getting at then please expound because I certainly missed it).
    1. DnBKiD521's Avatar
      DnBKiD521 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      There is a certain level of trust that goes into allowing a program developed by a third party group of people to jailbreak your phone, and then install apps from a third party source not warranted by Apple. I don't see this sort of application as any different, in terms of risk. (If risk/security is not what you were getting at then please expound because I certainly missed it).
      ^^^pwned
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      There is a certain level of trust that goes into allowing a program developed by a third party group of people to jailbreak your phone, and then install apps from a third party source not warranted by Apple. I don't see this sort of application as any different, in terms of risk. (If risk/security is not what you were getting at then please expound because I certainly missed it).
      Now you've got me. I wont install anything unless my friends tell me it's safe. I say you should not install ANYTHING from any repo that is not installed by default. Anything else is beta or wrong - if it's beta then talk to the dev and find out why.
    1. Darkspell's Avatar
      Darkspell -
      It tripped my AVG threat, had to disable it to use it. Worked fine after that.
    1. SnowLeo's Avatar
      SnowLeo -
      So if I do this with my unjailbroken 5.0.1 ipad 2 it will help them make a jailbreak for it? Guess I gotta start getting some apps to crash for the cause because I only just accidently updated (because i wanted to use airplay mirroring with the apple tv i just bought)
    1. DnBKiD521's Avatar
      DnBKiD521 -
      Worked fine with bitdefender... No viruses found. Threat free people !
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      Now you've got me. I wont install anything unless my friends tell me it's safe. I say you should not install ANYTHING from any repo that is not installed by default. Anything else is beta or wrong - if it's beta then talk to the dev and find out why.
      That wasn't my point. My point is, who's to say installing from repos that are installed by default is safe? For all we know it may very well not be. Or if it is now, it may not continue to be.

      This is from the same people that have brought us various jailbreak tweaks, is it not? Why should one trust a jailbreak software, but not this software?

      Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
      So if I do this with my unjailbroken 5.0.1 ipad 2 it will help them make a jailbreak for it?
      It may, or it may not. Can't hurt.

      Quote Originally Posted by DnBKiD521 View Post
      Worked fine with bitdefender... No viruses found. Threat free people !
      The potential risk here isn't just viruses. It could be pulling your private information and phoning home. There is a very really risk of that, I'll admit. There is a very real risk of plenty of other stuff people freely install to do the very same thing.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      I really wouldn't worry too much about it. The Chronic Dev Team is a legitimate name. You can trust them; they brought us the Greenpois0n jailbreak back in the iOS 4.2.1 days.