• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS 5.1 to Bring New Features to Siri

    Expect a round of updates in the next few weeks.

    Apple has a couple of updates to bring to us in the near future. First of all, iOS 5.0.1 was released recently which was supposed to fix battery issues for some users. In almost all cases like this it didn't work for everyone. But it did work for some; that's what counts, right?

    For those of you still having battery problems, you can expect an update from Apple in the very near future dubbed iOS 5.0.2 which will fix the rest of your problems. But aside from that, there's an even bigger update coming; it targets iPhone 4S users who run Siri.

    Remember at the iPhone 4S unveiling when the announcer said that Siri was still in beta? Well it is. And for that purpose, Siri hasn't been perfect and there have been outages of the service at the most random times. Apple is working on it. By all means, they intend to keep their promise and roll out some updates that will add features to the infinite possibilities of Siri. How do they intend to do that? By giving it better speech recognition, adding more languages, and of course the big one; adding more functionality.

    Albeit Siri does do a lot already, it hardly has any hardware functionality. All you can do is have Siri do things within the iOS software nix just a couple of hardware settings (like powering the device off). The update, as 9to5Mac reports, hopes to bring Siri the ability to toggle Wi-Fi on and off, as well as Bluetooth. As well as toggles, you will also be able to tell Siri to take a photo. At this point in time, Siri will yield no useful results when you ask it to toggle Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or ask it to take a photo:



    That's probably not the only upside to iOS 5.1. It's still far off in the horizon, but expect Apple to implement some more nifty new Siri features and stability improvements as well. Jailbreakers, stay away!

    Are you excited for iOS 5.1's new Siri features? Share below!

    Sources: 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 5.1 to Bring New Features to Siri started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 35 Comments
    1. thumper_net's Avatar
      thumper_net -
      Hope apple fix the uk siri as from ios 5.01 the sound and voice are distorted , would be nice for apple to one day produce a firmware upgrade without so many bugs ,
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      Quote Originally Posted by ipony View Post
      i miss my Jb
      I miss my BJ
    1. PoEtikly's Avatar
      PoEtikly -
      I agree to an earlier comment stating NO JB in the near future. These "updates" being rumored to release is also a good tactic by Apple because why would the devs release a JB with a big update on the way? It was thought that an untethered iOS 5 JB would be released after this initial update, but I haven't even remotely heard of a whisper about one besides pod2g's claim of finding an exploit, but that is as far as its went. I have a feeling that untethered JB's just might become a part of the past. I mean by the time one is going to be thought of being released it'll be out of date with 2-3 Apple updates. Granted I'd rather one be released for 5.0 right now or when 5.1 launches than none at all. I would have to imagine that at some point Apple will completely find a way to close off any chance of exploiting or making it so difficult that just a standalone program will not be able to do the job. Look at SHSH Blobs now, they're pointless (at this time). Now we have no way to downgrade IF an untethered JB is released and it doesn't patch over a tethered exploit or if we just have an issue with a JB and have to restore, then our only option is to restore to whatever fw Apple is signing atm. That alone sucks! It just doesn't look very promising...

      That's my opinion, but maybe its just because of the length of time it's been without any real updates on progress. I hope I'm completely wrong because the fact is there is no other device as great as a Jailbroken iDevice.
    1. matt3948's Avatar
      matt3948 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Saliola View Post
      Siri: Go Thermonuclear Global War, please.
      I was thinking the same thing!
      Would you like to play a game?
    1. sirbebe's Avatar
      sirbebe -
      Damn nearly half of these jail breaker's and devs will be on apples payroll soon!!!! as we have heard already of some major players being invited to apples hq. I would just imagine all the cool toys that where showed to them and promises of being able to play wit them I'f they jumped ship.. Just a thought
    1. swifty7's Avatar
      swifty7 -
      maybe I shouldn't have bought the 4s, all this time I was under the impression that the imminent release of the ios5 jailbreak was going to apply for the 4s as well but I guess I was dead wrong.....GOD I MISS my JB!!!!!!! I really wish we had GeoHot and musclenerd around to work on the problem. I guess Apple won in the end after all. This probably means that we won't be seeing any JB for the 4s anytime soon or ever and I'm guessing iphone 5 will be JB proof. and if we do get a JB for the 4s, it's probably going to be some tethered crap. Oh! well!! I guess it was nice while it lasted......DAMN APPLE!!!!
    1. rayzah_blade's Avatar
      rayzah_blade -
      T-mobile in the states aren't enabled for 3G iPhones.
    1. Notangel74's Avatar
      Notangel74 -
      Ok for some it counts right no I don't think it's right
    1. cypherstream's Avatar
      cypherstream -
      Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
      I agree to an earlier comment stating NO JB in the near future. These "updates" being rumored to release is also a good tactic by Apple because why would the devs release a JB with a big update on the way? It was thought that an untethered iOS 5 JB would be released after this initial update, but I haven't even remotely heard of a whisper about one besides pod2g's claim of finding an exploit, but that is as far as its went. I have a feeling that untethered JB's just might become a part of the past. I mean by the time one is going to be thought of being released it'll be out of date with 2-3 Apple updates. Granted I'd rather one be released for 5.0 right now or when 5.1 launches than none at all. I would have to imagine that at some point Apple will completely find a way to close off any chance of exploiting or making it so difficult that just a standalone program will not be able to do the job. Look at SHSH Blobs now, they're pointless (at this time). Now we have no way to downgrade IF an untethered JB is released and it doesn't patch over a tethered exploit or if we just have an issue with a JB and have to restore, then our only option is to restore to whatever fw Apple is signing atm. That alone sucks! It just doesn't look very promising...

      That's my opinion, but maybe its just because of the length of time it's been without any real updates on progress. I hope I'm completely wrong because the fact is there is no other device as great as a Jailbroken iDevice.
      All Apple needs to do is implement some sort of Jailbreak detection method at boot, similar to the jailbreak detection routines some iOS apps are now using.

      For example, on a jailbroken ipad if you try to launch certain applications like DirecTV, DirecTV Nomad, Time Warner Cable, Optimum, BrightHouse, LoveFilm, etc... you will get a message saying that they do not support Jailbroken devices. The only option is to quit the app.

      This simple detection routine can easily be put into the boot process. Apple itself could proclaim "Apple does not support jailbroken devices. Please connect to iTunes and restore". This effectively would turn any iOS device into a paperweight once jailbroken.

      We need to mitigate this risk by developing a low level driver that can interpret all JB detection routines and respond to the app with normal non-jailbroken expected responses. It's only a few apps today, but some day Apple might make JB Detection mandatory or as part of the OS or every individual app launch process one day. Maybe in a future xcode update it will be automatically compiled into your app. Let's figure this out before it goes TOO FAR.
    1. DnBKiD521's Avatar
      DnBKiD521 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post
      All Apple needs to do is implement some sort of Jailbreak detection method at boot, similar to the jailbreak detection routines some iOS apps are now using.

      For example, on a jailbroken ipad if you try to launch certain applications like DirecTV, DirecTV Nomad, Time Warner Cable, Optimum, BrightHouse, LoveFilm, etc... you will get a message saying that they do not support Jailbroken devices. The only option is to quit the app.

      This simple detection routine can easily be put into the boot process. Apple itself could proclaim "Apple does not support jailbroken devices. Please connect to iTunes and restore". This effectively would turn any iOS device into a paperweight once jailbroken.

      We need to mitigate this risk by developing a low level driver that can interpret all JB detection routines and respond to the app with normal non-jailbroken expected responses. It's only a few apps today, but some day Apple might make JB Detection mandatory or as part of the OS or every individual app launch process one day. Maybe in a future xcode update it will be automatically compiled into your app. Let's figure this out before it goes TOO FAR.
      Holy crap batman... Say it isn't so!!! I never thought about that but yeah it's very possible and likely that crapple will do something like this in the very near future. I mean they've already circumvented our shsh firmware jumping for the new iOS .. So what's next for apple? They hate us jailbreakers and we hate them for trying to stop us(or at least making our lives difficult) they're products are golden .. Just hope us devs and hackers can stay one step ahead of their game!
    1. cypherstream's Avatar
      cypherstream -
      Yeah, I mean I just might have to get an android phone the next time around. Not so sure I enjoy a closed ecosystem with such a dictatorship level of control.

      Hate to say it...

      Hope we don't have to go that far.
    1. rabbit_'s Avatar
      rabbit_ -
      We will get a jailbreak soon they have never let us down yet be patient it will come soon
    1. PoEtikly's Avatar
      PoEtikly -
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbit_ View Post
      We will get a jailbreak soon they have never let us down yet be patient it will come soon
      It's not about letting us down. If it can't be done then it just cannot be done. Honestly, as long as tethered JB's are available, especially with semi tether, I'm happy. But the fact is even if jailbreaks keep coming out they can be taken away in a second. If your device needs a restore and there's no ability to downgrade (and no JB for current fw) then you're stuck with a stock device. I'd like to see the ability to downgrade with iOS 5.x fw's before ANY untethered JB's. That way we know we can keep them and all the hard work the devs are doing isn't gone with an issue of a restore.

      Really the only thing I miss about untethered is boot logos. If something happens to my device now at least I can reboot and use my phone and SMS (semi tether). Boot tethering is not that big of a deal for me because I usually have a laptop/pc around me. I know it's very inconvenient for a lot of people and I really do hope to see an untethered exploit be released (hopefully greenp0ison. I think the 4.2.1 JB by GP was the best).

      Let me ask a question. If we are currently on a 5.x fw and we are jb'n via tethered or untethered (when the time comes) and we have to restore but apple is no longer signing the fw that has an exploit can we still use TU to downgrade to say 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 so we can at least be able to jailbreak our device on an earlier fw/exploit?
    1. DnBKiD521's Avatar
      DnBKiD521 -
      Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post

      Let me ask a question. If we are currently on a 5.x fw and we are jb'n via tethered or untethered (when the time comes) and we have to restore but apple is no longer signing the fw that has an exploit can we still use TU to downgrade to say 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 so we can at least be able to jailbreak our device on an earlier fw/exploit?
      Yes. I tried it from 5.0 and jumped back down to 4.3.3 and it is confirmed to work but I jumped back to 5.0 only because at that time apple was still signing that firmware... As of right now it's impossible to jump to 5.0, like you said. Because apple isn't signing it anymore.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      If your device is susceptible to limra1n then there is a high probability the Blob Monster will be slaughtered soon.
      It is more of a problem on newer devices but it is being worked on.