• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Untethered Jailbreak by Christmas?


    A now-you-see-it, now-you-don't tweet from @MuscleNerd has again raised hopes that we'll see an untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak by Christmas. Having responded to someone asking about the JB that Christmas was "an achievable deadline," he then deleted the tweet, leaving open questions as to whether he thought that was too confident a statement.

    Earlier this month, @comex had promised a untethered jailbreak by Christmas in a tweet. Soon thereafter, @MuscleNerd showed off a video of just such a jailbreak that used "mysterious 4.2b3 hashes Cydia kept for you." In a tweet announcing the video, @MuscleNerd called it a "backup plan" to the more extensible jailbreak @comex is working on.

    In any case, it looks like the Dev-Team guys are feeling confident about their progress, so chances are good that we'll see an untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1 in our stocking sometime in the week to come.

    Source: Redmond Pie
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Untethered Jailbreak by Christmas? started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 122 Comments
    1. shabz_de_don's Avatar
      shabz_de_don -
      Great christmas present can't wait, I don't need a unlock so I'm fine as my iPhone 4 is officially unlocked, but y sister is well annoyed as he requires a unlock lol still at 4.0.1


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sofaxkingxhi View Post
      If u updated to 4.2.1 then u deserve the tethered jailbreak. Ur a idiot for updating in the 1st place. ( and before you say I accidentally updated , I call u a lying p.o.s u were Asked a few times to verify and then watch the update. So there is no accidents) 4.2.1 only offers air print is that really worth updating. And losing a untethered jailbreak.

      I'm just ranting. Tired of hearing of people cry over tethered jailbreaks!!!!
      Member since September? Yeah, you know nothing about jailbreak complaints.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      They may be waiting to see what Apple does with iOS 4.3...
      I would.
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      That's great news! Also, wth I can delete tweets? I didn't know that...
    1. mtb29er's Avatar
      mtb29er -
      Quote Originally Posted by braunsys View Post
      I,m not from Missouri, but I will believe it when I see it, and hopefully sooner than later.
      Thanks to those who make jailbreaking possible for the rest of us!
      Easy there buddy I'm from the great state of misery !
    1. mtb29er's Avatar
      mtb29er -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sofaxkingxhi View Post
      If u updated to 4.2.1 then u deserve the tethered jailbreak. Ur a idiot for updating in the 1st place. ( and before you say I accidentally updated , I call u a lying p.o.s u were Asked a few times to verify and then watch the update. So there is no accidents) 4.2.1 only offers air print is that really worth updating. And losing a untethered jailbreak.

      I'm just ranting. Tired of hearing of people cry over tethered jailbreaks!!!!
      Wow.mayb should look in the mirror. Not sure it need all that. This is a forum not a bash this person. I myself am on 4.2 because I went to apple for a repair and they updated me. Would u like there number so u can call them and repeat your post. I usually keep my mouth shut on these forums but that was not necessary.
    1. Nest's Avatar
      Nest -
      Wait a second... I'm still confused.
      I just bought my iphone 4 about 2 weeks ago that came with 4.2.1.
      I have yet to even give it a tethered JB because I was waiting for untethered.
      Will I be able to even jailbreak my iphone once this untethered JB comes out or not?
      I keep reading that you need something in order to do so but I have no idea what you need =[
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
      Wait a second... I'm still confused.
      I just bought my iphone 4 about 2 weeks ago that came with 4.2.1.
      I have yet to even give it a tethered JB because I was waiting for untethered.
      Will I be able to even jailbreak my iphone once this untethered JB comes out or not?
      I keep reading that you need something in order to do so but I have no idea what you need =[
      You might not be able to. The thing is SHSH blobs (don't worry, I still have no idea where the name came from). They're used by iTunes in restores for verification (Apple doesn't want people on old firmwares). If you download these while your firmware is the latest (the only time they're available), you can use them later to trick iTunes into restoring your iDevice. They also somehow help in jailbreaks. The next jailbreak for 4.2 might require SHSH from 4.1 (which you can't get because it is no longer available and each SHSH is unique to a device). So, you might be left out
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      You are still able to do a tethered jailbreak though.
    1. ckgurr's Avatar
      ckgurr -
      The dev team are my Heroes! THANKS
    1. Nest's Avatar
      Nest -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      You might not be able to. The thing is SHSH blobs (don't worry, I still have no idea where the name came from). They're used by iTunes in restores for verification (Apple doesn't want people on old firmwares). If you download these while your firmware is the latest (the only time they're available), you can use them later to trick iTunes into restoring your iDevice. They also somehow help in jailbreaks. The next jailbreak for 4.2 might require SHSH from 4.1 (which you can't get because it is no longer available and each SHSH is unique to a device). So, you might be left out
      Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
      You are still able to do a tethered jailbreak though.
      Thanks for the info. Little upset but I guess its alright
      If and when the untethered JB does come out and it doesnt work for my phone... will I be able to get the tethered JB still or will it no longer exist once untethered releases lol.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
      Thanks for the info. Little upset but I guess its alright
      If and when the untethered JB does come out and it doesnt work for my phone... will I be able to get the tethered JB still or will it no longer exist once untethered releases lol.
      I'm sure if all people in your situation won't be able to jailbreak it'll still be around. Maybe you should download it just in case.
    1. twalsh's Avatar
      twalsh -
      I was under the impression that 2 jailbreaks would be coming out. One by musclenerd which needs shsh blobs and another by comex which presumably would jailbreak any device on iOS 4.2.1. Have I got the wrong end of the stick here, can someone clarify or are we all just speculating?
    1. sephiroth726's Avatar
      sephiroth726 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      You might not be able to. The thing is SHSH blobs (don't worry, I still have no idea where the name came from). They're used by iTunes in restores for verification (Apple doesn't want people on old firmwares). If you download these while your firmware is the latest (the only time they're available), you can use them later to trick iTunes into restoring your iDevice. They also somehow help in jailbreaks. The next jailbreak for 4.2 might require SHSH from 4.1 (which you can't get because it is no longer available and each SHSH is unique to a device). So, you might be left out
      Hopefully dev team will cook up an untethered JB for people buying new devices otherwise we are all screwed!
    1. Retrolock's Avatar
      Retrolock -
      Tethered jailbreak really drains my phone really fast. Probably because of all of that reboot and re-jailbreak every time a Cydia app is installed/updated. I removed it a few weeks ago and now I'm tempted to do a tethered jailbreak again. I'm bored lol can't wait for the untethered one.
    1. ninthchamber99's Avatar
      ninthchamber99 -
      Ok, maybe I am missing something here but I just read a post that mentioned the possible need of having the SHSH blob for 4.2B3, is this true? On my iPad I noticed that Cydia does have the 4.2B3 blob saved but on my 3GS it does not. I didn't think I needed that particular blob for the possible untethered JB that was upcoming. I am currently still on 4.0on my phone and Cydia does have my blobs up to 4.1.

      After reading everyone's posts, now I'm even wondering if I need to upgrade/mess with my phone. I would probably never print from my phone, only my iPad so I may just leave my phone as is and only worry about my iPad since I would actually print from it rather than my phone.
    1. Madman604x's Avatar
      Madman604x -
      Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
      Does 4.2 seem to fix the "..having to push the home button multiple times for it wake" situation? thinking of doing a complete restore maybe that would help
      thats a hardware issue.after multiple FW upgrades, i exchanged my phone for a new one. no problems since.
    1. stevemaho's Avatar
      stevemaho -
      Thanks in advance dev team for your christmas gift
    1. ugshotgun's Avatar
      ugshotgun -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sofaxkingxhi View Post
      If u updated to 4.2.1 then u deserve the tethered jailbreak. Ur a idiot for updating in the 1st place. ( and before you say I accidentally updated , I call u a lying p.o.s u were Asked a few times to verify and then watch the update. So there is no accidents) 4.2.1 only offers air print is that really worth updating. And losing a untethered jailbreak.

      I'm just ranting. Tired of hearing of people cry over tethered jailbreaks!!!!
      Its okay to rant bro....just as its ok for me to call you an idiot!!! Pun intended!

      I received my iPad with 4.2.1.....and there are many other like me that are on here "complaining"...and we, who have been members here for ALLOT longer than you, retain that right to do so!

      So in conclusion.....Did I mention you're an idiot?

      Merry Christmas to all!! including you, I guess!

      Chris
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by ugshotgun View Post
      Its okay to rant bro....just as its ok for me to call you an idiot!!! Pun intended!

      I received my iPad with 4.2.1.....and there are many other like me that are on here "complaining"...and we, who have been members here for ALLOT longer than you, retain that right to do so!

      So in conclusion.....Did I mention you're an idiot?

      Merry Christmas to all!! including you, I guess!

      Chris
      Grammar issues, much?

      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi