• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • TinyUmbrella Updated for iOS 5.0.1

    The firmware umbrella now works with iOS 5.0.1 blobs.

    iOS 5.0.1 is the newest release from Apple which is said to fix battery problems for some users. Some however, claim that it does not do anything to fix the battery problem, some claim that it made the problems worse. Users were advised within minutes of the iOS 5.0.1 release to downgrade back to iOS 5.0 so that they can get their untethered jailbreak when it is released. As of this time, there is no way to downgrade back to iOS 5.0 if you are on iOS 5.0.1. This is because Apple is no longer signing the iOS 5.0 firmware. Only those who are on it still will be the happy ones.

    In case you are still wondering how to save your SHSH blobs though, you can do so through the new update of TinyUmbrella. iPhone 4S users cannot use the SHSH blobs for anything special at all; but you will still be able to save your SHSH blobs locally if your heart still intends it. Who knows maybe they will be useful in the future?

    Originally Posted by TinyUmbrella:
    Tentative iOS 5.0.1 Support
    Even though there is still no working solution for restoring 5.x on iPhone 4S I have released a 5.01.00 so you can at least save 5.0.1 SHSH. I have added tentative support for at least saving 5.0.1 SHSHs for iPhone 4S but as of now we are unable to use them fully.
    As soon as more information is available I will update.
    You can download TinyUmbrella for Mac OS X here.
    You can download TinyUmbrella for Windows here.

    Sources: Cult of Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: TinyUmbrella Updated for iOS 5.0.1 started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 58 Comments
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      I wish he had updated it earlier so that we could save the 5.0 SHSH for 4S. Not that we can do much with them right now but wouldn't of hurt to have them.
    1. Netherscourge's Avatar
      Netherscourge -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      I wish he had updated it earlier so that we could save the 5.0 SHSH for 4S. Not that we can do much with them right now but wouldn't of hurt to have them.
      Can't you just RESTORE your 4S back to 5.0.0 and then use Tiny Umbrella?

      iOS 5.0.0 is the factory OS for the 4S, is it not?
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
      Can't you just RESTORE your 4S back to 5.0.0 and then use Tiny Umbrella?

      iOS 5.0.0 is the factory OS for the 4S, is it not?
      I think he's saying he accidently updated when everyone on here said to wait
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
      Can't you just RESTORE your 4S back to 5.0.0 and then use Tiny Umbrella?

      iOS 5.0.0 is the factory OS for the 4S, is it not?
      No you can't. Apple has stopped signing 5.0 now so no one can restore to it anymore, regardless of if it came with 5.0 on it.

      Also saving SHSH has nothing to do with what firmware is actually on the device. All about what firmware Apple is currently signing. So someone on 4.3.3 could save 5.0.1 SHSH with tiny umbrella now without having to go to 5.0.1.

      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      I think he's saying he accidently updated when everyone on here said to wait
      Nope. Soon as I saw 5.0.1 official come out I downgraded back to 5.0 while Apple was still signing it
      It does mean I will have to be very careful once a jailbreak is released though as any need to restore will put me up to 5.0.1.

      I just meant it would have been nice to be able to save the 5.0 SHSH before 5.0.1 came out, just in case a method is found that allows the use of them.
    1. CrAzYiaN's Avatar
      CrAzYiaN -
      Can this be used to save 5.0.1 shsh for the iPhone 4 sprint?
    1. Eligos's Avatar
      Eligos -
      So, to be clear, if we are on 5.0 (iPhone 3gs here) right now, we can save the SHSH blob for 5.0? It seems to only mention 5.01.
    1. mikerlx's Avatar
      mikerlx -
      Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
      Can't you just RESTORE your 4S back to 5.0.0 and then use Tiny Umbrella?

      iOS 5.0.0 is the factory OS for the 4S, is it not?
      No firmware is special lol
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Eligos View Post
      So, to be clear, if we are on 5.0 (iPhone 3gs here) right now, we can save the SHSH blob for 5.0? It seems to only mention 5.01.
      Correct. You cannot save 5.0 SHSH anymore with tiny umbrella.

      Quote Originally Posted by CrAzYiaN View Post
      Can this be used to save 5.0.1 shsh for the iPhone 4 sprint?
      Yes it can.
    1. iYeow's Avatar
      iYeow -
      Somehow i have 5.0 shsh blob saved on all my devices including ipad 2 even before this version comes out.

      Attachment 553284
    1. Eligos's Avatar
      Eligos -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Correct. You cannot save 5.0 SHSH anymore with tiny umbrella.



      Yes it can.
      Well, "You cannot save 5.0 SHSH anymore with tiny umbrella" sounds contradictory.
      If I'm on 5.0, I can save it with TU.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Eligos View Post
      Well, "You cannot save 5.0 SHSH anymore with tiny umbrella" sounds contradictory.
      If I'm on 5.0, I can save it with TU.
      If you didnt save 5.0 SHSH with tiny umbrella before 5.0.1 came out then you cannot save them now. Doesn't matter if you are still on 5.0.

      Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
      Somehow i have 5.0 shsh blob saved on all my devices including ipad 2 even before this version comes out.
      The previous version of tiny umbrella could save 5.0 SHSH for all devices except iPhone 4S.
    1. Eligos's Avatar
      Eligos -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      If you didnt save 5.0 SHSH with tiny umbrella before 5.0.1 came out then you cannot save them now. Doesn't matter if you are still on 5.0.
      OIC, not that I want to debate you on this since I don't really know, saving blobs for 4.xx was different. While you were on a specific firmware, you could save it's blob regardless if it was still signed by Apple or not.
    1. iYeow's Avatar
      iYeow -
      Unfortunately I haven't updated my ipad 2 GSM model to 5.0 yet. The reason being i am still at 4.3.3 and not sure iwhen untethered jailbreak for 5.0 will be out.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Eligos View Post
      OIC, not that I want to debate you on this since I don't really know, saving blobs for 4.xx was different. While you were on a specific firmware, you could save it's blob regardless if it was still signed by Apple or not.
      With tiny umbrella saving SHSH has always been the same. You can only save SHSH when Apple is signing a firmware regardless of what firmware the device is on. You are probably thinking of iFaith which allowed devices on 4.X to have their SHSH extracted from the device itself, even after Apple had stopped signing that firmware.
    1. iYeow's Avatar
      iYeow -
      Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
      Unfortunately I haven't updated my ipad 2 GSM model to 5.0 yet. The reason being i am still at 4.3.3 and not sure iwhen untethered jailbreak for 5.0 will be out.
      No, it is the same principle. Once apple stops signing you can't save anymore. Maybe you are talking about ifaith, it is a different thing, you are dumping it from your current firmware.
    1. brab's Avatar
      brab -
      I though SHSH doesn't matter anymore since iOS5 came out because they use different method of verifying firmware upon restore?

      Now I am definitely confused.
    1. iYeow's Avatar
      iYeow -
      If you have the blob saved, there is a chance that you can restore when there is a workaround. Without it, there is no chance at all.
    1. rwin84's Avatar
      rwin84 -
      "no JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE or download JRE from www.java.com" When I attempt to run it this is what I get. Any help would be appreciated.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
      "no JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE or download JRE from www.java.com" When I attempt to run it this is what I get. Any help would be appreciated.
      Do what the error tells you. Go to java.com and install java on your computer.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
      I though SHSH doesn't matter anymore since iOS5 came out because they use different method of verifying firmware upon restore?

      Now I am definitely confused.
      They have additional security in place. It is still worth saving any Blobs you can.
      Partial success has been made in killing the Blob Monster but only for devices susceptible to LimeRa1n.