• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple's iTunes Match Service Released Along With iTunes 10.5.1


    The much anticipated iTunes Match Service has finally been released alongside a public roll out for iTunes 10.5.1. The updated version of iTunes should appear in Software Update and it is now also available for download from Apple’s site.

    Apple made the following announcement on their iTunes page, which confirmed the availability of iTunes Match (see below). For those of you who don’t already know, iTunes Match syncs your music that is already available on iTunes to iCloud as well as completing data for songs that are not fully optimized for iTunes for an annual fee of $24.99.



    The iTunes Match service has finally arrived after Apple missed their end of October deadline and wiped iTunes Match developer libraries several times. This past weekend, Apple wiped the libraries one last time and rolled out iTunes 10.5.1 beta 3. It looks like beta 3 and this past library wipe helped Apple finalize the release of the service.



    Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple's iTunes Match Service Released Along With iTunes 10.5.1 started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 43 Comments
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Okay I don't have a lot of songs but this thing is telling me I have 1 song and not the 600 to 700 I have in my library and I've tried turning it off and also updating the iTunes match and nothing.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Any jb problems with 10.5.1?
    1. dboone21's Avatar
      dboone21 -
      Couple of things on Apple's support site are starting to show up...iTunes Match: Understanding the iCloud Status icons
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
      That's another thing I am not fond of. If your using the cloud you can not have music on your device. Doesn't make sense.



      Fail? The service just started today. Grow up!

      READ the rest of the comments dummy.
    1. charliebee's Avatar
      charliebee -
      For people that want more control over their librairy available in the cloud, their tags and so on, I suggest Audiogalaxy.

      It's a mini server that makes you whole librairy available in the cloud, from their web app but also a lot of mobile devices, including iPhones and iPads. It's currently entirely free (both server and app)! I expect it to be a paid service eventually but it's been free for the past 6 months I've been using it.

      Of course it has the drawback of being streamed from your home connection but at least you don't have to upload your whole librairy to the cloud. It also optimizes the stream whether you are on 3G or Wi-Fi. It's really well made and stable. I love it!

      I really want to give iTunes Match a go but I'm also expecting it not to be able to match most of my librairy. If it doesn't cut it, I'll happily stay with Audiogalaxy.

      PS: Not affiliated with them in any way!
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Anyone considering this should just go ahead and get google music. It is VERY similar, and it's FREE. There are two main ways that service differs from this one (aside from price): 1. 20,000 song limit 2. You actually have to upload ALL of your songs
    1. teej1410's Avatar
      teej1410 -
      From reading the comments, I'm still debating if this service is worth it. I get my songs from iTunes and other websites. Will iTunes Match match those songs from CD's and other websites? Is it worth it if my Mac is still running Snow Leopard?
    1. annihil8tion's Avatar
      annihil8tion -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      Anyone considering this should just go ahead and get google music. It is VERY similar, and it's FREE. There are two main ways that service differs from this one (aside from price): 1. 20,000 song limit 2. You actually have to upload ALL of your songs
      gmusic is awesome but any cloud based service other than this will always be inferior due to the fact iTunes match works with the iPod.

      audiogalaxy, streamtome, etc.. are inferior to music because they are server based - not cloud

      Also gmusic cannot create playlists on the fly

      Anything designed for iPod can see this collection (car radio, docks, etc...)
    1. fudu's Avatar
      fudu -
      is this available for Canada yet????
    1. stevelucky's Avatar
      stevelucky -
      Quote Originally Posted by alirz View Post
      is it true that enabling itunes match on the iphone/ipod disables itunes music syncing? if so, then what the hell, am i supposed to listen to my music only from the cloud hogging up my data? Plus what about those times when im in the under ground subway and there is no access to the cellular network?
      Yes, it disables syncing, but it's really not that big of a deal. You just download the music you want on your device via iTunes Match on your iPhone or iPod Touch (preferably via Wifi) and now that music lives locally on your device. You don't need to stream it at all. Just the one-time download.
    1. TooSlo's Avatar
      TooSlo -
      Quote Originally Posted by annihil8tion View Post
      audiogalaxy, streamtome, etc.. are inferior to music because they are server based - not cloud
      Assuming I have no issues with connectivity with my home server, is there really a need for this service? I'm leaning toward no.
    1. linuxnoob's Avatar
      linuxnoob -
      wondering if it will update ratings, etc
    1. teej1410's Avatar
      teej1410 -
      Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
      Yes, it disables syncing, but it's really not that big of a deal. You just download the music you want on your device via iTunes Match on your iPhone or iPod Touch (preferably via Wifi) and now that music lives locally on your device. You don't need to stream it at all. Just the one-time download.
      When you say it disables syncing, what you mean is it just won't let you sync at all?
    1. Windmeel's Avatar
      Windmeel -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
      That's another thing I am not fond of. If your using the cloud you can not have music on your device. Doesn't make sense.
      I would agree. I listen to a downloaded local radio show at work where I'm lucky to get 1 bar. If I breathe on it, I lose that bar. I would not have gone with 64GB had I known I couldn't sync my playlists while using iTunes Match. I anticipate many complaints and the options to Match what you don't have in your Playlists. I'll be calling tomorrow to see about cancelling until there in an update to this. It just seems like an obvious "look over" on their part. By the way, of my 12,000 tracks, iTunes found 3,000 of them. All are properly tagged as well.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by annihil8tion View Post
      gmusic is awesome but any cloud based service other than this will always be inferior due to the fact iTunes match works with the iPod.

      audiogalaxy, streamtome, etc.. are inferior to music because they are server based - not cloud

      Also gmusic cannot create playlists on the fly

      Anything designed for iPod can see this collection (car radio, docks, etc...)
      I can agree with the playlist statement (although who is to say that won't change once fe service is out of beta) but I get perfectly fine functionality in both cars we drive both plugged in and over Bluetooth with the $1.99 gmusic app on the AppStore. AND if there is no mobile Internet I can fall back on the music I have synced to my phone which apparently cannot be done with iTunes match (which I find to be a little ridiculous I must say)

      Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
      Assuming I have no issues with connectivity with my home server, is there really a need for this service? I'm leaning toward no.
      No there isn't. But unless you are running something else on that server to have it constantly running you will likely save more than. The $25 a ear this service costs in electricity alone.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Is iTunes failing to save anyone else's password after updating today? Every time I select to update apps it asks for my password even though I select remember password each time.
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by fudu View Post
      is this available for Canada yet????
      Go search google it's out there, I found it 1 day early
    1. edwardk448's Avatar
      edwardk448 -
      I just would like to make sure if Itunes 10.5.1 is jailbreak safe. Can i safely update if my iphone is jailbroken
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by edwardk448 View Post
      I just would like to make sure if Itunes 10.5.1 is jailbreak safe. Can i safely update if my iphone is jailbroken
      Yes it is jailbreak safe.
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      Go search google it's out there, I found it 1 day early
      Your gunna want to look for the beta that came out around November 14 but it's actually the final copy