• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS 5.0.1 Apparently Not Fixing Battery Issue for Some

    Apple rolled out iOS 5.0.1 today to fix battery problems.

    This morning, Apple released iOS 5.0.1 to fix the battery issue that users had been complaining about since upgrading to iOS 5. The fix apparently didn't work for numerous people. Apple's support forums were flooded with complaints saying that the update did nothing to fix the battery problem. The volume of users reporting the problem is undeniable proof that the update didn't do much to fix the dilemma. As of this moment, iOS 5.0 is still being signed and I personally recommend downgrading back to iOS 5.0 so that you will be able to have the untethered jailbreak when it is out. iOS 5.0.1 fixed numerous exploits that jailbreakers could have taken advantage of. Earlier in the week we reported on how Pod2g warned us not to update because of those exploit fixes.

    Below is a screenshot of some consecutive complaints about iOS 5.0.1:



    So with iOS 5.0.1 having sketchy support for battery problems and plugging up many potential jailbreak exploits, why upgrade? I would say just stay on iOS 5.0 until the untethered jailbreak rides its way out of the garage. It's coming we just don't know when. iPhone 4S users who don't even have a jailbreak yet are also advised to stay on iOS 5.0 because if a jailbreak does surface, there are more exploits in iOS 5.0 than iOS 5.0.1 and anything that Apple will release in the future. If you don't plan on jailbreaking at all, then disregard iOS 5.0.1. It looks like this update was a failed attempt to update the battery problem and it would be a waste of time to install.

    Take a moment to answer the poll (only viewable in the forum version) and leave a comment below!

    Sources: 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 5.0.1 Apparently Not Fixing Battery Issue for Some started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 114 Comments
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Game2Freak View Post
      Anyone know if apple are still signing iOS 5?
      Na I tried this morning and nope.

      Quote Originally Posted by hel22 View Post
      on any thread i posted my question, nobody has answered. Now I heard on another forum (where pple actually reply) that Apple has stopped signing.....
      Thanks.
      I think they did I tried many times this morning and I kept getting a error. Trying to downgrade was a no go.

      Quote Originally Posted by BoostedEvoIX View Post
      Updated to ios 5.0.1 and my battery is drainning like crazy just playing music from the music app wtf! Need to downgrade to ios 5. Anyone know if apple is still signing iOS 5? thanks! This is rediculous!!
      Same here updated thinking battery life would be great. It blows even more now. N now apple is done signing so what the hell. Should have listened damn it.
    1. iKillYou's Avatar
      iKillYou -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      You have no idea how wrong you are; and using Wikipedia for a source, you should be ashamed. In order to write to the hard disk drive from the RAM, the hard disk drive must be spinning and the RAM must be powered. So it will continue to use power as long as it needs to dump that memory. To back up my point, that is post-clicking hibernation mode. So it's all part of the process.
      I was only using Wiki as a reference for YOU! I know from personal experience that you are wrong. I know 100% for a fact that I can take my laptop right now, put it in hibernation mode, remove the battery and all other power sources, leave it sit for however long, reattach power, boot it back up and VOILA still in the same spot where I left off!

      And by the way, since the Wiki link wasn't good enough for you, here are a few more sources for you to back up my information as well....

      What is hibernate mode? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia Computer Dictionary
      Hibernation mode Definition from PC Magazine Encyclopedia

      And here is a direct quote from the PC Mag website...

      "Since the power is off in hibernation mode, it does not drain the battery."

      But I guess all those sources are wrong too right? Typical Crapple fanboy trying to brainwash everyone into thinking that the sky is purple when in reality all the non fanboys really know it's blue. This is exactly why Crapple users get labeled as SIMPLE PEOPLE because that's exactly what you are. Too simple to know how to use something as advanced as a PC, too simple to understand how Crapple's multitasking works, and apparently too simple to understand how hibernation mode works
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
      I was only using Wiki as a reference for YOU! I know from personal experience that you are wrong. I know 100% for a fact that I can take my laptop right now, put it in hibernation mode, remove the battery and all other power sources, leave it sit for however long, reattach power, boot it back up and VOILA still in the same spot where I left off!

      And by the way, since the Wiki link wasn't good enough for you, here are a few more sources for you to back up my information as well....

      What is hibernate mode? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia Computer Dictionary
      Hibernation mode Definition from PC Magazine Encyclopedia

      And here is a direct quote from the PC Mag website...

      "Since the power is off in hibernation mode, it does not drain the battery."

      But I guess all those sources are wrong too right? Typical Crapple fanboy trying to brainwash everyone into thinking that the sky is purple when in reality all the non fanboys really know it's blue. This is exactly why Crapple users get labeled as SIMPLE PEOPLE because that's exactly what you are. Too simple to know how to use something as advanced as a PC, too simple to understand how Crapple's multitasking works, and apparently too simple to understand how hibernation mode works
      I guess you missed what I said completely. lol

      EDIT: By the way, are you finished slandering everyone yet? I'll talk to you when you are.
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      Hibernation mode saves all RAM to the disk and then you can remove all power. Standby keeps things running on RAM but stops all inessential like peripherals.

      But, Anthony there's no point feeding the troll. Any reasoned logic means nothing to them. Just treat them like a bad smell, ignore them and they will go away.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
      Hibernation mode saves all RAM to the disk and then you can remove all power. Standby keeps things running on RAM but stops all inessential like peripherals.
      This is true. But after you click hibernation the computer will stay running until the RAM is fully dumped to the hard disk. So it will still use battery life until that process is finished. It happens post-clicking hibernate, so it's all part of hibernation.
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      Yeah but that process doesn't take too long.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
      Yeah but that process doesn't take too long.
      That doesn't evaporate the use of power from the equation though.
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      Very true -

      On a completely unrelated note, when using the MMi app is there a way to remove the 'open advanced options' button above the keyboard as it covers what I'm typing and I can't see! Lol.
    1. spooneditr's Avatar
      spooneditr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      That was fast lol. Unfortunate to those stuck on iOS 5.0.1. MuscleNerd confirmed that the untether will only be for iOS 5.0 for now.
      What error message would u get if they aren't signing anymore I get error 3002 or 3194 from clicking restore or update.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by spooneditr View Post
      What error message would u get if they aren't signing anymore I get error 3002 or 3194 from clicking restore or update.
      Those are the errors you get
    1. spooneditr's Avatar
      spooneditr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Those are the errors you get
      Damn! Guess I'm stuck on 4.3.3 then till an untethered comes out on 5.0.1
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Even when your Windows computer is in hibernation, you will lose battery life. This is because the RAM needs constant power to keep what it's holding inside of itself. If the computer dies you will lose everything and need to start over.
      No.
      NONONONONONO.

      iKillYou tried to explain how you were wrong, but you brushed him off by quibbling over the start, middle and end phases of hibernation.

      When a computer is in SLEEP, everything gets powered down except for RAM, so pulling the plug means you lose. When a computer is in HIBERNATION, everything gets powered down and saved to disk, including RAM. Pulling the plug makes no difference. When the hibernation trigger is first activated, it takes several seconds before hibernation is complete. Until then it's not hibernating.

      Please stop attacking MMi users for pointing out factual errors in your statements,
      or at least try to show a little more grace and humility.
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      Quote Originally Posted by spooneditr View Post
      Damn! Guess I'm stuck on 4.3.3 then till an untethered comes out on 5.0.1
      Those were the exact errors I was getting. I went to my host file, and deleted the line pointing to Apple (I only had one). After doing that I was able to update to 5.0 from 4.3.3. A half an hour later though (last night) I was unable to save my SHSH Blobs....so I'm assuming it's to late. But it is worth a shot.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      No.
      NONONONONONO.

      iKillYou tried to explain how you were wrong, but you brushed him off by quibbling over the start, middle and end phases of hibernation.

      When a computer is in SLEEP, everything gets powered down except for RAM, so pulling the plug means you lose. When a computer is in HIBERNATION, everything gets powered down and saved to disk, including RAM. Pulling the plug makes no difference. When the hibernation trigger is first activated, it takes several seconds before hibernation is complete. Until then it's not hibernating.

      Please stop attacking MMi users for pointing out factual errors in your statements,
      or at least try to show a little more grace and humility.
      I'm sorry I haven't attacked anyone. However humility is shown where humility is earned and I feel I explained well enough.

      By the way, in hibernation, things have to be sent to the hard disk drive BEFORE the computer hibernates. This is what I was pointing out. Why does everyone keep missing that?

      Before stepping in Raduga, trying to mediate as if you know exactly what is going on every time, you should read everything that is being said before you pre-assume what is going on. Or at least let IKilYou get back to me himself.
    1. ChSchuldiner's Avatar
      ChSchuldiner -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      When a computer is in SLEEP, everything gets powered down except for RAM, so pulling the plug means you lose. When a computer is in HIBERNATION, everything gets powered down and saved to disk, including RAM. Pulling the plug makes no difference. When the hibernation trigger is first activated, it takes several seconds before hibernation is complete. Until then it's not hibernating.
      So basically you're just repeating what iKilYou said completely ignoring the fact that Anthony pointed out that there are phases to hibernation. I don't recall Anthony saying that during the full span of hibernation power is used. So..
    1. krosis's Avatar
      krosis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      I guess you missed what I said completely. lol

      EDIT: By the way, are you finished slandering everyone yet? I'll talk to you when you are.
      What you said described standby, but you claimed it was hibernation. He didn't miss what you said, you were just wrong. A computer writing data to disk after you clicked a button on the start menu is not in hibernation, it is powered on and running. Once it has written the data and powered off, it is in hibernation. If you are unsatisfied with the quality of a Wikipedia summary, you should check the Microsoft docs listed as the cited sources. You might want to check up on Apple's iOS docs on App States as well. Background apps prepare to be terminated, then are frozen in-RAM. If they are opened again before they are purged from RAM, they can resume where they left off.

      (Also, slander is generally considered spoken, not written comments. And they have to be factually incorrect.)

      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      Please stop attacking MMi users for pointing out factual errors in your statements,
      or at least try to show a little more grace and humility.
      This.
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      Guy's why are you dragging this out? That Ikillyou guy is a troll and a douche. Who cares if he's right or wrong. Move on.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
      (Also, slander is generally considered spoken, not written comments. And they have to be factually incorrect.)
      This is incorrect. Slander exists on more forms than speech. The phrase internet slander exists because people can communicate online just as they can in person. If I hadn't been asked to research this topic by my professor for an assignment a while back I might have agreed with you. But I hold my stand there.
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      To the AUTHOR of this post....Anthony....

      You have hi-jacked your own post. I like the fact that you communicate with the users of this forum, and generally enjoy your articles.....But constantly arguing with them and saying you are right and they are wrong, even going as far as correcting someone's opinion of what they believe the definition of slander is...is going a bit overboard.

      I don't think it should be mine, or anyone else's place to tell a contributing author of this site, especially on his own post.....To PLEASE stay on topic!

      This thread sucks now!
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
      To the AUTHOR of this post....Anthony....

      You have hi-jacked your own post. I like the fact that you communicate with the users of this forum, and generally enjoy your articles.....But constantly arguing with them and saying you are right and they are wrong, even going as far as correcting someone's opinion of what they believe the definition of slander is...is going a bit overboard.

      I don't think it should be mine, or anyone else's place to tell a contributing author of this site, especially on his own post.....To PLEASE stay on topic!

      This thread sucks now!
      Lol it's fine I will never hold a grudge. If it stays in this thread and doesn't elevate to others then I'm not too worried!