• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Releases iOS 5.0.1 with Battery Fix Promised


    Less than one month since iOS 5 was released to the masses, today Apple issued its first incremental update for the new iOS.

    On Thursday, Apple released iOS 5.0.1 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. What we know for certain is that this hotly anticipated update takes aim at a lingering bug that first became apparent as the iPhone 4S reached consumers last month.

    All told, the fixes in iOS 5.0.1 include:
    • Fixes bugs affecting battery life
    • Adds multitasking gestures for original iPad
    • Resolves bugs with Documents in the Cloud
    • Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation
    As you may recall, Apple had previously provided its developer community with two beta versions of iOS 5.0.1. The real deal is available now to all iDevice users via iTunes or as an an over-the-air update.

    Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Releases iOS 5.0.1 with Battery Fix Promised started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 64 Comments
    1. krosis's Avatar
      krosis -
      Hey just FYI to those of you still wanting to update to 5.0, Apple signs the old firmware for a short while after releasing a new one. I just updated my iPad2 to 5.0 a few minutes ago and it worked fine.

      Quote Originally Posted by pratt1503 View Post
      I have a question. I have a iPhone 4S and running 5.0. So we are advised to stay away from 5.0.1 at the moment. But let's say that a Jailbreak comes next week for the 4S on 5.0 and we all jailbreak then something goes wrong With the phone and we are forced to restore for some reason. Would we then be forced to go up to 5.0.1 as what I have been reading Tiny is not backing up blobs for 5.0.

      Could somebody provide some insight into this ?

      Thanks
      This is correct. If you're forced to restore for some reason in the future, it will be to the then-current version.
    1. Eagleye's Avatar
      Eagleye -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhoenix3g View Post
      Well I'm updating my battery life sucked on my 4S so hopefully this will fix it. I'm sure someone will come along with a jailbreak sooner or later but in the mean time least I will have hopefully better battery life. **fingers crossed**
      If you update and you do notice significantly better battery life, please let me know. My battery life on my 4S blows, but a jailbreak is more important to me and I'd rather not update right now.
    1. iYeow's Avatar
      iYeow -
      Quote Originally Posted by pratt1503 View Post
      I have a question. I have a iPhone 4S and running 5.0. So we are advised to stay away from 5.0.1 at the moment. But let's say that a Jailbreak comes next week for the 4S on 5.0 and we all jailbreak then something goes wrong With the phone and we are forced to restore for some reason. Would we then be forced to go up to 5.0.1 as what I have been reading Tiny is not backing up blobs for 5.0.

      Could somebody provide some insight into this ?

      Thanks
      That is correct, no more dowgrade starting from ios 5, you could easily lose your jailbreak if iphone crashes.
    1. V1cmlb's Avatar
      V1cmlb -
      Is there a jailbreak for the 4s
    1. krosis's Avatar
      krosis -
      Quote Originally Posted by V1cmlb View Post
      Is there a jailbreak for the 4s
      Not yet.
    1. keenpois0n's Avatar
      keenpois0n -
      you know..I'm sort of shocked how after 1 week of pod2g 'coming back' were all doing what he says (I am too lol, and I know he's done shatter and stuff) but I just reckon that musclenerd should confirm that millers exploit could provide untethered jb, cause theres a chance it's just a bug, and cant be turned into an untether...I would like to hear MN and what he has to say
    1. TheBaddestiPod's Avatar
      TheBaddestiPod -
      Could someone tell me what would happen if I went home and upgraded to iOS 5 MANUALLY, via the 5.0 IPSW that I have downloaded a couple days ago, now that they are no longer signing for iOS 5!? Any help!?
    1. tmokorn's Avatar
      tmokorn -
      Did this fix the poor sound quality problem on ipod touch?
    1. iPhoenix3g's Avatar
      iPhoenix3g -
      Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
      If you update and you do notice significantly better battery life, please let me know. My battery life on my 4S blows, but a jailbreak is more important to me and I'd rather not update right now.
      Yeah no worries, I'll post any findings I have over the next 24 hours, currently at 100% so lets see how long it lasts ....
    1. charliebee's Avatar
      charliebee -
      I've been sitting on my untethered 4.3.3 (both iPhone 4 and iPad 2) until now but from what I understand an untethered for 5.0 may be coming way sooner than one for 5.0.1 and when that comes I probably won't be able to update to 5.0.0. How is your experience with the current tethered 5.0 jailbreak? Is it stable, do you end up often with a useless phone on the go before it (or you had to) reboot? I don't know what to do!
    1. turbotec's Avatar
      turbotec -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheBaddestiPod View Post
      Could someone tell me what would happen if I went home and upgraded to iOS 5 MANUALLY, via the 5.0 IPSW that I have downloaded a couple days ago, now that they are no longer signing for iOS 5!? Any help!?


      just did this as we speak. looks as if they are signing 5.0 for a little while longer. If you are gonna do it, you better hurry
    1. Tario70's Avatar
      Tario70 -
      Again, all this warning of not to update to 5.0.1 is useless. As soon as the signing Window closes we're all out of luck should your iPhone crash & need to be restored. The most logical course of action would have been to get the SHSH blob situation taken care of first, then work on the jailbreak. As I posted itn he pog2g post, without a way to restore to a jailbreakable firmware, a jailbreak will become useless in a short time. At this point, I'm on 4.3.3 on my 3GS old bootrom, debating about getting the 4S, but still not sure. With no iBooks fix & no way to back up SHSH files, there is little point in going to 5.0 at this time. (Just my opinion)
    1. santaf's Avatar
      santaf -
      I haven't had problems with the 4s at all what was supposedly causing the battery problems?
    1. krosis's Avatar
      krosis -
      Quote Originally Posted by charliebee View Post
      I've been sitting on my untethered 4.3.3 (both iPhone 4 and iPad 2) until now but from what I understand an untethered for 5.0 may be coming way sooner than one for 5.0.1 and when that comes I probably won't be able to update to 5.0.0. How is your experience with the current tethered 5.0 jailbreak? Is it stable, do you end up often with a useless phone on the go before it (or you had to) reboot? I don't know what to do!
      I have the same hardware as you, and I updated my iP4 to iOS5 about a week ago, and just did my iPad today. This is the first time I've used a tethered JB but I just looked at it from the perspective of "how many times in the last year have I actually had to power-cycle my phone?" My answer was none, so might as well go for it. I obviously haven't run into a problem with it yet, and if I do I might revert, but it just seemed a waste to miss out on all of the iOS5 stuff because there's still an incredibly small chance of a power-cycle while I'm out. Remember you can still respring, so you'd need a full on hard crash or a dead battery to really cause a problem.
    1. lkailburn's Avatar
      lkailburn -
      4s users --- if you have updated to 5.0.1 pleas roost up your battery usage results!!!! I'm holding off for a few days.

      Thanks,

      -Luke
    1. x_IMMORTAL_x's Avatar
      x_IMMORTAL_x -
      UGH I need this update cuz my battery is having a really crappy performence. But COM said do not update for jailbreaking purposes. Stuck between a rock and a hard place
    1. Kevin8677's Avatar
      Kevin8677 -
      If anyone with a 3GS that updates to 5.0.1 and jailbreaks with redsnow 0.9.9b8 please let us know the results! As far as I know the beta 8 works fine on the ios 5.0.1 beta version but not sure about the actual public release. I'd like to know if this works before I do it. Using Redsnow beta 3 & it works flawlessly on 4.3.5. And yes I know they're both tethered. That's fine. The sooner they come out with untethered the better !
    1. z3r01's Avatar
      z3r01 -
      the game never ends...i know apple does this intentionally! on a major release , they have an intentional bug to then seal off the potential JB. i mean come on, they had iOS thru beta tests...battery was never an issue and now after public release they issue a fix...only thing is the jailbreak community is up on it too
    1. krosis's Avatar
      krosis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
      Again, all this warning of not to update to 5.0.1 is useless. As soon as the signing Window closes we're all out of luck should your iPhone crash & need to be restored. The most logical course of action would have been to get the SHSH blob situation taken care of first, then work on the jailbreak. As I posted itn he pog2g post, without a way to restore to a jailbreakable firmware, a jailbreak will become useless in a short time. At this point, I'm on 4.3.3 on my 3GS old bootrom, debating about getting the 4S, but still not sure. With no iBooks fix & no way to back up SHSH files, there is little point in going to 5.0 at this time. (Just my opinion)
      And what about all of us who don't need to regularly restore their OS? Seriously, I havn't had to do that in over 2 years; it's hardly something that makes staying on 5.0 "useless".

      I noticed in the other thread how you kept emphasizing a need to focus on the shsh problem instead of a jailbreak, and I respectfully disagree. There seems to be a common misconception among non-programers that all tasks are equivalent, doing X is just as easy as doing Y, and that anyone is just as good at doing any task. Two things I'd point out:
      • The "SHSH problem" isn't something that just needs raw hours of programing to fix. Previously, Apple created a unique signature on a per-device, per-firmware basis. This allowed us to cache and re-use a signature for a given device-firmware combination. With their new system, a unique signature is created on a per-device per-instal basis, so caching it does not help next time you go to do an install. This isn't a programing problem, it's a security problem. If anyone has an idea to work around it, the community is all ears. A workaround may be discovered at some point, or it may never be found. Refocusing all resources on resolving this situation (whatever that actually means) would not only be illogical, it would possibly be entirely futile.
      • Not all developers focus on the same things, and not all development work is interchangeable. I see this misconception all the time with ongoing game development in the form of "why did they add X when they still haven't fixed Y". The most common reason is that different people do X and Y. Developing cydia and the jailbreaks themselves, trying to boot untethered, evaluating the usability of the recent memory bug, and many other things can all be done by people who lack a profound talent for hacking the type of signing mechanism used by Apple.
    1. scroogelives's Avatar
      scroogelives -
      Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
      Can it automatically update your iphone to 5.0.1 if you're on 5.0 right now?
      No u need to select it and agree to the terms!