• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • AT&T Call International App More Expensive Than Skype and Other VOIP Options


    AT&Ts is marketing their Call International app as a cheap way for subscribers to make calls internationally. In reality, it's a Voice Over IP app with an added layer of complex obsolescence.

    The Call International app isnít a cheap way to make cell phone calls internationally over a cellular networks. Rather itís an expensive way to make VOIP phone calls anywhere. Skype or any other VOIP application give users more functionality at cheaper prices. The service isnít tied to an AT&T account either. Since the userís credit card is billed and VOIP calls are sent over WiFi networks there is no reason Verizon, Sprint, and iPhone owners on other networks can't use the application.

    Honestly, the only reason to use this app is if you donít know what Skype is and your current long distance plan is insanely over priced, which it probably is. T-Mobile offers a similar service that allows phone owners to make and receive calls over WiFi anywhere a signal isnít available. T-Mobileís solution is integrated seamlessly into the phone and is free.

    AT&Tís app has a long way to go in terms of features, ease of use, and upside compared to competing apps. Call International brings nothing new to the table and is likely aimed at those inexperienced in the ways of VOIP who travel internationally. Which hopefully is a smaller market than I imagine.

    Iím looking at you aging transcontinental workforce.

    Source: iTunes [via 9to5Mac]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: AT&T Call International App Does What Skype and Other VOIP Apps Do More Expensively started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
    1. daytonaviolet's Avatar
      daytonaviolet -
      i thought if you have the international plan, its already $0.23 to call most cell phones world wide? also, apps like Viber make voip calling free. so why bother with this?
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      I'd love VOIP option to take free calls (not use minutes). Outside of that I can use skype to call Hungary. Most of the time my relatives hop on for a video chat anyway, making it completely free. Better late than never though, I guess.
    1. anmiller07's Avatar
      anmiller07 -
      Just wanted to say the wording for the title of this article is a little confusing. I read it like AT&T was actually the cheaper option (THAT'S what got me in here; b/c THAT would be news.....)
    1. VITICO171's Avatar
      VITICO171 -
      Quote Originally Posted by anmiller07 View Post
      Just wanted to say the wording for the title of this article is a little confusing. I read it like AT&T was actually the cheaper option (THAT'S what got me in here; b/c THAT would be news.....)
      I understood it...
    1. zeroGsti's Avatar
      zeroGsti -
      Just get your relatives or friends a Magic Jack or NetTalk Duo and have them port it to their Iphones (That's if they have Iphones) with the apps they have free for download on the Itunes store. Then you would just have to pay for the device that comes with one year service included. I make calls from my Iphone and Ipad all the time with these apps with unlimited minutes.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
      i thought if you have the international plan, its already $0.23 to call most cell phones world wide? also, apps like Viber make voip calling free. so why bother with this?
      Well, you have to pay for said international plan PLUS minutes if I am not mistaken. That fact would make that plan inferior to this one.
    1. rogerinnyc's Avatar
      rogerinnyc -
      Quote Originally Posted by anmiller07 View Post
      Just wanted to say the wording for the title of this article is a little confusing. I read it like AT&T was actually the cheaper option (THAT'S what got me in here; b/c THAT would be news.....)
      Agreed. The words "More Expensively" should be earlier, immediately after "Does." But good article!
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by zeroGsti View Post
      Just get your relatives or friends a Magic Jack or NetTalk Duo and have them port it to their Iphones (That's if they have Iphones) with the apps they have free for download on the Itunes store. Then you would just have to pay for the device that comes with one year service included. I make calls from my Iphone and Ipad all the time with these apps with unlimited minutes.
      I don't believe magic jack does free international calls, does it? Or are you referring to getting every single person you would talk to internationally a magic jack? That could get expensive if you are talking to more than one household. Far more expensive than just hopping on skype lol!
    1. SirTimothy1's Avatar
      SirTimothy1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
      Agreed. The words "More Expensively" should be earlier, immediately after "Does." But good article!
      I had the same problem. Just change More to Less or make it But More Expensively.
    1. Phillip Swanson's Avatar
      Phillip Swanson -
      Quote Originally Posted by SirTimothy1 View Post
      I had the same problem. Just change More to Less or make it But More Expensively.
      After re-reading it, definitely too wordy. New one cuts right to the chase.