• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • The iPhone Camera App's Hidden Panorama Mode Feature Revealed


    It has been known for quite some time that Apple has been working on bringing the panorama camera mode to the iPhone. Recently, iOS developer/jailbreaker Conrad Kramer (@conradev) figured out how to enable the panorama mode within the original Camera app. Popular iOS developer, Grant Paul (@chpwn) has packaged the feature in a jailbreak tweak called “Firebreak” which according to him should be released by tomorrow on Cydia.



    As of right now, the interface for the panorama feature is simplistic and not very appealing, but it gets the job done. To use the feature, you simply turn the panorama mode on by clicking the panorama button in the camera options menu, then move the iPhone in the air as shown in the on-screen diagram (seen in the first picture).

    The final product will show you a picture with a panoramic view, as seen below:



    How many of you are excited for the feature? Do you plan to get the jailbreak tweak "Firebreak" upon its release tomorrow? Share any thoughts below!

    Source: Twitter (@conradev) (@chpwn)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: The iPhone Camera App's Hidden Panorama Mode Feature Revealed started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 31 Comments
    1. broncosi's Avatar
      broncosi -
      Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
      It isn't all that. I have it activated. Apple NEEDS to fix the bugs and yes I know there is a reason they didn't activate it in the first place.
      tell me about it. Quite frankly, the pictures suck.
    1. javiert30's Avatar
      javiert30 -
      It works better with a tripod otherwise you need to have real good nerves to take that panoramic picture with Firebreak.
    1. broncosi's Avatar
      broncosi -
      Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
      It works better with a tripod otherwise you need to have real good nerves to take that panoramic picture with Firebreak.
      a tripod and a case that has an attachment for a tripod. I wonder how apple is going to improve this enough for release.
    1. Charblee's Avatar
      Charblee -
      Ok You guys aren't seeing the point of this...it's to enable panoramic pictures in the NATIVE camera.app so users aren't required to download another app to do it. I just downloaded Firebreak and tried it out and there's a clear reason why this hasn't been released officially by Apple, the panoramic mode, for lack of a better word, sucks. You guys shouldn't be QQ'ing all over the place and saying "There's an app for that"....The whole point is for native integration.
    1. Chasemeifyoucan's Avatar
      Chasemeifyoucan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Charblee View Post
      Ok You guys aren't seeing the point of this...it's to enable panoramic pictures in the NATIVE camera.app so users aren't required to download another app to do it. I just downloaded Firebreak and tried it out and there's a clear reason why this hasn't been released officially by Apple, the panoramic mode, for lack of a better word, sucks. You guys shouldn't be QQ'ing all over the place and saying "There's an app for that"....The whole point is for native integration.
      I completely agree with you, it's awesome to have features built in that having to download a whole other app!
    1. santaf's Avatar
      santaf -
      Quote Originally Posted by broncosi View Post
      a tripod and a case that has an attachment for a tripod. I wonder how apple is going to improve this enough for release.
      You don't need a tripod you can do it without a tripod and you just use either photoshop app for free on the iPhone or upload it to your computer and just crop it so that it is just a solid photo. The photoshop app will automatically do a crop making it as big as you can with no black border
    1. javiert30's Avatar
      javiert30 -
      Quote Originally Posted by santaf View Post
      You don't need a tripod you can do it without a tripod and you just use either photoshop app for free on the iPhone or upload it to your computer and just crop it so that it is just a solid photo. The photoshop app will automatically do a crop making it as big as you can with no black border
      Thats a lot of work, in that case just take some pictures edit them on photoshop, you dont need firebreak in that case then. Thats why it is an exclusive app so you can do everything automated without the help of something else.
    1. santaf's Avatar
      santaf -
      How is it too much work to open the image up in photoshop app and click on crop image it does it automatically for you you have to touch like 4 buttons :P the panoramic setting all it does is take a bunch of picture and automatically stitches them together trying to not create seams so the picture looks like one big picture, you will always get that black border because it's impossible to keep it perfectly aligned when you capture the image. you will always have to crop it
    1. qumahlin's Avatar
      qumahlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by santaf View Post
      How is it too much work to open the image up in photoshop app and click on crop image it does it automatically for you you have to touch like 4 buttons :P the panoramic setting all it does is take a bunch of picture and automatically stitches them together trying to not create seams so the picture looks like one big picture, you will always get that black border because it's impossible to keep it perfectly aligned when you capture the image. you will always have to crop it
      It's too much work because you've now required me to leave my current app, open another app, open the photo, edit, save back to camera roll...

      I have an iPhone 4S for personal use and I have an HTC Thunderbolt for work running custom firmware.

      The custom firmware on my thunderbolt includes the newest "sense" camera which when it comes to panorama blows away every app in the iphone app store. Doesn't require me to edit it on a computer, doesn't give me any black borders and quite frankly stitches so perfect that typically when I show people it in action they are shocked at the resulting image quality.

      I love my iPhone and the camera on it produces overall better image quality, but the camera app on my thunderbolt blows it out of the water 10 times over when it comes to features especially panorama

      Here is an example of a panorama shot using my thunderbolt with no 3rd party apps or editing whatsoever - http://i.imgur.com/QXWyK.jpg
    1. javiert30's Avatar
      javiert30 -
      Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post
      It's too much work because you've now required me to leave my current app, open another app, open the photo, edit, save back to camera roll...

      I have an iPhone 4S for personal use and I have an HTC Thunderbolt for work running custom firmware.

      The custom firmware on my thunderbolt includes the newest "sense" camera which when it comes to panorama blows away every app in the iphone app store. Doesn't require me to edit it on a computer, doesn't give me any black borders and quite frankly stitches so perfect that typically when I show people it in action they are shocked at the resulting image quality.

      I love my iPhone and the camera on it produces overall better image quality, but the camera app on my thunderbolt blows it out of the water 10 times over when it comes to features especially panorama

      Here is an example of a panorama shot using my thunderbolt with no 3rd party apps or editing whatsoever - http://i.imgur.com/QXWyK.jpg
      That's what I mean
    1. ChSchuldiner's Avatar
      ChSchuldiner -
      I like this feature!