• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Custom Commands Revealed To Work With Siri


    Popular iOS developer Grant Paul (more widely known as @chpwn) recently revealed via a tweet, that he was able to concoct custom commands in Siri. You can see the screenshot of a test command below:



    What this discovery really does is prove that Siri can prove to be a more complex and more useful tool than it already is. The ability to create custom commands that function with Siri can open an endless array of possibilities. The commands can lead to a slew of new jailbreak tweaks and packages that could provide further convenience to a number of iPhone 4S users (possibly iPhone 4 users and maybe iPhone 3GS users, if the port comes to fruition). The Siri port wonít be publicly released until further notice due to the whole legality of the issue though, so don't get too excited if you are still using older iOS devices.

    As of right now, it hasnít been made clear whether the custom commands will see the light of day but chances are they might upon the release of the iPhone 4S (and iPad 2) jailbreak. MuscleNerd of the iPhone Dev Team recently showed proof of preliminary jailbreak for the A5 chip based iOS devices but has not provided an ETA, so weíll continue to have to be patient.

    In the meantime, we canít help but be excited about the plethora of innovative ideas that custom commands in Siri could lead to. What custom commands would you like to see? Are you excited? Share any thoughts and ideas below!

    Source: @chpwn
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Custom Commands Revealed To Work With Siri started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 36 Comments
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
      Because 4s users already have Siri and won't need it ported! The iPhone 4 users would love to see it ported! You really made yourself look a little dense here....
      I believe you either quoted the wrong person, or failed to understand what was said here...
    1. Doc Rock's Avatar
      Doc Rock -
      I'd be happy to just be able to launch apps or checkin via foursquare via Siri. That would be great. Right now we really cannot do anything with apps that were not included by default on the iPhone. Give me access to my other apps and I'm a happy camper.
    1. akipal's Avatar
      akipal -
      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      What I'd rather see is the ability to say "call dad" and it not say there is no contact listed as dad for "Shane"

      But if u say call father it works

      I said to Siri "Steve" is my dad" it replies "got it do you want me to remember that Steve is your father?"
      I said yes my say call dad again with still no luck
      Edit your information in contact
      Add relations like mother, spause, father, brother or sister fields
      Then siri knows when you say dad or wife...
    1. d_animality's Avatar
      d_animality -
      I would be happy if Siri can be ported to 3GS...
    1. PoEtikly's Avatar
      PoEtikly -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      I believe you either quoted the wrong person, or failed to understand what was said here...
      No I didn't quote the wrong person I just must've been a little dense myself and misunderstood the meaning. My apologies.
    1. CrzAzn's Avatar
      CrzAzn -
      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      What I'd rather see is the ability to say "call dad" and it not say there is no contact listed as dad for "Shane"

      But if u say call father it works

      I said to Siri "Steve" is my dad" it replies "got it do you want me to remember that Steve is your father?"
      I said yes my say call dad again with still no luck
      You can list his nickname as "dad" and it should work.
    1. Hillefied's Avatar
      Hillefied -
      Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
      No I didn't quote the wrong person I just must've been a little dense myself and misunderstood the meaning. My apologies.
      It's okay, the guy who developed custom commands for Siri is using a jailbroken i4S. It is possible to jailbreak the i4S but the results are currently varied and unstable thus a jailbreak release hasn't been published. Custom commands for Siri will likely be for the i4S and not a ported Siri i4.

      It is still my belief that Siri will likely be updated to older devices by Apple once all is well with the Beta currently on i4S. Having said that, porting Siri through the jailbreak community may be a moot point .. IMHO.
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by akipal View Post
      Edit your information in contact
      Add relations like mother, spause, father, brother or sister fields
      Then siri knows when you say dad or wife...
      That doesn't work
    1. Beastly L92's Avatar
      Beastly L92 -
      I'd like to see Siri work proficiently first. Then we can talk about tweaks.
    1. mikerlx's Avatar
      mikerlx -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc Rock View Post
      I'd be happy to just be able to launch apps or checkin via foursquare via Siri. That would be great. Right now we really cannot do anything with apps that were not included by default on the iPhone. Give me access to my other apps and I'm a happy camper.
      Agreed, that's the way Siri should be IMHO
    1. iBwizzle's Avatar
      iBwizzle -
      It saddens me to see how the average Joe/Jane can easily become a slave to technology! It's clear to see y'all want something that requires little effort. No real reason to think. Oh well, less competition for me!
    1. ZXMustang's Avatar
      ZXMustang -
      Video, or this is just a photochop.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by ZXMustang View Post
      Video, or this is just a photochop.
      You are kidding, aren't you?
    1. scroogelives's Avatar
      scroogelives -
      But it's only cause of the "tweaks" that we will get a great version of Siri!! After all look almost everything added to the current iOS and it's thanks to the dev's for the tweaks they made in the past!
    1. pichito's Avatar
      pichito -
      Quote Originally Posted by iJunkie68 View Post
      Just change the contact name to dad....but I know what you mean. Would be nice if Siri knew dad and father were the same.
      all you need to do is add the name DAD in the nickname field in your contact (this is an extra field you need to add... add field)
      this works great for me... use it for mom, dad bro. and i still have there full names listed in contacts.
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by pichito View Post
      all you need to do is add the name DAD in the nickname field in your contact (this is an extra field you need to add... add field)
      this works great for me... use it for mom, dad bro. and i still have there full names listed in contacts.
      It works better to use a nickname as Dad like someone else said earlier that works