This OS X and Windows guide will teach you how to jailbreak various devices using limera1n. Note this is an UNTETHERED JAILBREAK, meaning your device will be able to restart and operate just like an unjailbroken phone.
This guide should be used with the following device/firmware combinations (if you're not sure, here's how to find your iOS firmware version and how to find your iOS device type):
- iPhone 2G | 4.0
- iPhone 2G | 4.0.2
- iPhone 3G | 4.0
- iPhone 3G | 4.0.2
- iPhone 3GS | 4.0
- iPhone 3GS | 4.0.2
- iPad 1 | 4.0
- iPod touch 2G | 4.0
- iPod touch 2G | 4.0.2
- iPod touch 3G | 4.0
- iPod touch 3G | 4.0.2
- iPod touch 4G | 4.0
- iPod touch 4G | 4.0.2
If you prefer the fuller version of this guide with pictures, click here for the OS X version or here for the Windows version.
Alright, let's get started. First thing you'll need to do is download the correct version of limera1n for your OS: mod.my/limera1nosx for OS X, or mod.my/limera1nwin for Windows. Making sure your device is connected (and no other iDevices are connected in iTunes), double-click limera1n to launch it.
- limera1n will tell you it is waiting for the device (which you already have plugged in), and will then display the make it ra1n button. Click make it ra1n.
- limera1n will say it is entering recovery... and give you some steps to follow to put your phone in recovery mode (holding the home and power button for a few seconds, releasing the power button, then finally releasing the home button once limera1n lets you know you're in DFU mode).
- Once you're in DFU mode, limera1n will take a short bit to finish jailbreaking your device, and then say done while a new popup window appears with a congratulation from geohot on your newly jailbroken device!
- That's it! You're now holding a jailbroken device. Not too bad, eh?
- NOTE: You'll want to tap the ilmera1n icon on your homescreen now and install Cydia. You can then reopen the limera1n app from your iDevice and press remove limera1n if you'd like.