This OS X and Windows guide will teach you how to jailbreak various devices using redsn0w 0.9.6. The current version of redsn0w 0.9.6 is 0.9.6rc19. Note this is an UNTETHERED JAILBREAK, meaning your phone will be able to restart just like a normal phone.
This guide should be used with the following device/firmware combinations (if you're not sure, here's how to find your iOS firmware version and how to find your iOS device type):
- iPhone 2G | 4.1
- iPhone 2G | 4.2.1
- iPhone 3G | 4.1
- iPhone 3G | 4.2.1
- iPhone 3GS | 4.1
- iPhone 3GS | 4.2.1
- iPhone 3GS | 4.3
- iPhone 3GS | 4.3.1
- iPhone 3GS | 4.3.2
- iPhone 3GS | 4.3.3
- iPad 1 | 4.2.1
- iPad 1 | 4.3
- iPad 1 | 4.3.1
- iPad 1 | 4.3.2
- iPad 1 | 4.3.3
- iPod touch 2G | 4.1
- iPod touch 2G | 4.2.1
- iPod touch 3G | 4.2.1
- iPod touch 3G | 4.3
- iPod touch 3G | 4.3.1
- iPod touch 3G | 4.3.2
- iPod touch 3G | 4.3.3
- iPod touch 4G | 4.1
- iPod touch 4G | 4.2.1
- iPod touch 4G | 4.3
- iPod touch 4G | 4.3.1
- iPod touch 4G | 4.3.2
- iPod touch 4G | 4.3.3
If you prefer the fuller version of this guide with pictures, click here for OS X or here for Windows.
Alright, let's get started. First thing you'll need to do is download the correct version of redsn0w 0.9.6rc19 for your OS: OS X version is at mod.my/redsn0wmac096rc19 and the Windows version is at mod.my/redsn0wwin096rc19. Double-click the zip file to unzip it, and open the redsn0w folder to see the redsn0w icon.
- Making sure your device is connected, double-click redns0w to launch it. You will see the redsn0w home screen. In order to jailbreak your device, you'll need to download the firmware file that matches it, and place it on your desktop (or anywhere on your computer, but Desktop is easy). You can download the firmwares from here - we recommend you do not use Safari for downloading them as it usually uncompresses the file without asking, which we do not want. If you're not sure, here's how to find your iOS firmware version and how to find your iOS device type). Once you have that file downloaded, press the Browse button in redsn0w.
- Browse to the .ipsw file you just downloaded (your device's current firmware).
- redsn0w will tell you it is processing your firmware file.
- IF (and only if) you have a 3GS you are attempting to jailbreak, redsn0w will ask you if you have the newer (fixed) model. It will give you instructions how to check using the week of the device's build (the 4th and 5th digit of your serial number). Devices with weeks BEFORE 45 are NOT fixed models, so you would click No. Devices week 45 or lates ARE fixed, so you would click Yes. If you are unable to view the device's serial number on the device (Settings > General > About) due to the device not being activated, you can download and open the iPhone Configuration Utility from Apple and see the serial number next to the device.
- Assuming you have pointed redsn0w to the correct .ipsw file, it will now tell you it has the IPSW successfully identified.
- Before you do anything on the next screen, power off your device by pressing and holding the sleep button (the button on the top) until the slide to power off screen comes up. Slide to power off.
- Alright, NOW you can press Next on the redsn0w page which tells you to power off your device. NOTE: redsn0w will IMMEDIATELY ask you to press and hold the sleep button on the device, then continue holding it while pressing the home button, then continue holding the home button while letting go of the sleep button. Make sure your device is in your hands before pressing Next in redsn0w.
- After successfully following the prompts of holding buttons down (this is entering DFU mode for the device), redsn0w will tell you it is Exploiting with limera1n. You can now let go of the home button on your device.
- redsn0w will go through a few screens, telling you it is waiting for a reboot, then popping up a new window with various status messages as it jailbreaks your device.
- Once that is done, you'll be shown a screen asking you to select your options. The default action (which we'll be doing in this guide) is to Install Cydia. You're welcome to check any other boxes you'd like, but please only do so if you know what you're doing. Press Next when you've selected your choices.
- redsn0w will now tell you it is Waiting for reboot, then Uploading ramdisk, which will take a few seconds, and then say Done! Once it says Done! it is safe to close redsn0w, as the rest of the jailbreak process will happen on the device itself.
- Your device will now scroll a bunch of command line messages as the jailbreak completes. After a minute or so of the scrolling text, you will see the pwnapple logo with some more status updates (the final step before your jailbreak is complete).
That's it! You're now holding a jailbroken device. Not too bad, eh?