• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone 4/4S Mod a Beautiful Tribute to Steve Jobs


    Steve Jobs' death inspired an incredible amount of creativity as fans, graphic designers, and publications scrambled to produce tributes to Jobs. Perhaps the most iconic tribute is that of Jobs silhouette etched into the traditional Apple logo instead of the bite.

    This simple, yet profound tribute now has an iPhone 4 and 4S mod thanks to a 19-year-old Apple fan from Hong Kong. The mod replaces the Apple logo on the back of the device with the silhouette of Jobs. The mod involves installing a new back plate on the iPhone 4/4S.

    The back plates come in either black or white, but are noticeably thicker than the standard back plates. This means most cases and accessories wont fit the newly modified iPhone 4/4S. However, this along with the $23.90 price tag are reasonable concessions to have a fairly unique and well made mod.

    For those interested in purchasing the mod do so now as stock is extremely limited and there is no guarantee Apple and their lawyers will find the design as beautiful, or more importantly legal. Hopefully the cease and desist order likely to be administered is delayed or altogether dropped. Who knows, maybe Apple will be inspired to release a limited edition iPhone 4/4S tribute edition?

    Will any MMi members be making a purchase?

    Source: iDownloadBlog
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone 4/4S Mod a Beautiful Tribute to Steve Jobs started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Not going to lie... Still makes me sad. ..
    1. boxxa's Avatar
      boxxa -
      In before Apple takedown notice.
    1. Melech518's Avatar
      Melech518 -
      These are being sold by hundreds of suppliers out of china and are being produced by several factories. Our stores have been solicited to purchase these for $7 for the past two weeks and I have several samples on hand. We chose not to sell these because they are clear trademark infringement and Apple will eventually take action for selling these in the US.
    1. DaLsim's Avatar
      DaLsim -
      A steve jobs theme of this would look nice...
    1. Nefarious's Avatar
      Nefarious -
      I like it, but I wouldn't remove my case to have one.
    1. raptorjr's Avatar
      raptorjr -
      If some money would have gone to cancer research i could have bought one. Now they only try to make money for them self.
    1. rblancarte's Avatar
      rblancarte -
      Beautiful? Or just plain tacky? I mean, the guy died, and people are profiting in some way off it. That pretty morbid.
    1. EddieLeonard's Avatar
      EddieLeonard -
      does this use the same glass as the OEM back? so like scratch resistant?
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
      These are being sold by hundreds
      You're still alive? I wasn't sure
    1. DuRoLuRo's Avatar
      DuRoLuRo -
      I ordered it
    1. toymachine2009's Avatar
      toymachine2009 -
      Where do you purchase one? and does it look good in black? I have a black iphone if I had white I would get this one.
    1. Madman604x's Avatar
      Madman604x -
      unless the $ goes to steve's family, i won't buy it. just bad taste to profit off someone else's name.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
      unless the $ goes to steve's family, i won't buy it. just bad taste to profit off someone else's name.
      You don't have to - others will and they will profit. That's the way of the world, like it or not. The image is iconic - makes me think.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
      unless the $ goes to steve's family, i won't buy it. just bad taste to profit off someone else's name.
      I doubt steve's needs any more money....
      But even if others will buy it, it will still be bad taste.
      If bad taste should be the "way of the world" its still bad taste.

      If you're going to get angry at other people for buying something lame, unfortunate for you

      But if you want to smile faintly to yourself and think "that's lame", I for one, am not going to stop you.
    1. Madman604x's Avatar
      Madman604x -
      the thing is it isnt a tribute, its a blatent money grab. its your money, do as you wish. I am just saying that i will not partake.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      I don't see anything wrong with buying one of these just because Apple doesn't profit directly. They also don't profit from many of the cases, screen protectors, and accessories sold for their products, yet people still buy them. I remember making a custom decal when Steve Irwin died at a local mall kiosk. Didn't sell it or anything, but technically the guy making the decal made a couple bucks off "his death". People have different ways of remembering Steve. If your way is buying a custom backplate for your phone, what's the big deal?

      By the way, eBay has them for $13 shipped to your door. I'd get one, but I always have a case on my phone so it wouldn't ever see the light of day.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      I don't see anything wrong with buying one of these just because Apple doesn't profit directly. They also don't profit from many of the cases, screen protectors, and accessories sold for their products, yet people still buy them. I remember making a custom decal when Steve Irwin died at a local mall kiosk. Didn't sell it or anything, but technically the guy making the decal made a couple bucks off "his death". People have different ways of remembering Steve. If your way is buying a custom backplate for your phone, what's the big deal?
      difference is that "bad taste" and "tacky" are no insult to Steve Irwin
      and he died due to stingray making a "power grab" at his heart
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      difference is that "bad taste" and "tacky" are no insult to Steve Irwin
      and he died due to stingray making a "power grab" at his spleen
      It was actually his heart LOL!

      I guess I disagree here. I neither see this as bad taste or tacky. Looks pretty well done from the pictures... as good as a factory made iPhone 4/4S back.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      It was actually his heart LOL!

      I guess I disagree here. I neither see this as bad taste or tacky. Looks pretty well done from the pictures... as good as a factory made iPhone 4/4S back.
      fixed <3
    1. mutethoughts's Avatar
      mutethoughts -
      I wish they would make a good back plate with the pwnapple logo, I have seen the metal ones but I think they look ugly.