Change how much text is shown as well as how the Clear button behaves in the Notification Center
Over the past few days, we've seen a huge growth in Notification Center widgets that have been released, as documented in Widget Round-Up 1 and 2. But, at this point, there have been few people who've tackled trying to change the behavior of the Notification Center itself. A developer by the name of skram is trying to change how you utilize the Notification Center for the better. His recently released tweak NotificationCenter Enhancer is his first step to reaching his goal.
With NotificationCenter Enhancer, you can change one of two things at the moment:
- One tap clear
- Number of lines shown
Number of lines shown allows you to customize how many lines of a respective notification is shown. The Notification Center defines the amount of content that is shown by default, without any input from NotificationCenter Enhancer. However if you tinker with the NotificationCenter Enhancer settings (Settings -> NotificationCenter Enhancer), you can change the number of text lines that are shown (ranges from 2 - 11). This means you can, for example, read almost an entire email right from the Notification Center without having to go into the Mail.app. Some applications truncate the amount of content that is shown by automatically (i.e. Tweetbot), but for the most part, you're able to use this feature with all notifications.
At this point, NotificationCenter Enhancer is limited in features, however the developer has plans to expand it to a higher extent in upcoming updates. Below is a video showcasing what he has in store for us coming soon.
If NotificationCenter Enhancer continues to add new and interesting features and later updates, as described in the video, it's bound to be a good fit with Intelliborn's upcoming IntelliscreenX.
Here are my pros and cons.
- The features it has now and is planning on having will change how you experience the Notification Center. It will make it more useful and user-intuitive in the long run, allowing the user to customize it how they wish
- It lacks a lot of features at this point. However if the features displayed in the video are added, NotificationCenter Enhancer will be taken to a whole new level
Name: NotificationCenter Enhancer
Courtesy of skram, you can win a copy of NotificationCenter Enhancer by following the instructions below:
- Like ModMyi on Facebook
- Share the post off of ModMyi's timeline with "Win a copy of NC Enhancer." It must include the link to the article
- Follow @ModMyi
- Follow @joshmtucker
- Tweet from the site or retweet off of ModMyi's Twitter feed with "Win a copy of NC Enhancer." You must include your Cydia Account number as well as the link to this article
- Add Joshua Tucker to your circles
- Share the article
- Post on my post with your Cydia Account number
I will be contacting the winners from my Twitter account (@joshmtucker), Google+ profile, or Facebook.
What are your thoughts? Do you think NotificationCenter Enhancer has a chance? What things do you think could make NotificationCenter Enhancer even better? Post your thoughts below!
P.S. If you're curious about the story "The Jogging Pineapple," as displayed in the header photo, feel free to read here. I wrote it to test out this tweak - it's a good way for jailbreak writers to touch their artistic side ! It was written in five minutes without edit and completely impromptu.