• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iBooks on iOS 5 Jailbroken [VIDEO]

    iH8sn0w demos iBooks working on jailbroken iOS 5 device for the first time.

    In the first stages of any jailbreak, there tends to be a a few problems here and there. Whether they are major or minor issues, they generally exist early on - it's inevitable. With iOS 5, there are a few issues that come about with redsn0w, sn0wbreeze, and even the newly released Semi-Untether by BigBoss. One such issue that has been a biggie, although I personally didn't realize, was iBooks. iBooks has been broken and unavailable to use on iOS 5 jailbroken devices since the beginning. For avid jailbreak users who use iBooks, this is definitely a potential problem! Up until now, there was no evidence of anyone working on a fix for this problem.

    iH8sn0w just recently released a video that demos him using iBooks on iOS 5 jailbroken. Not only does he demo it, but he explains how to get it working yourself Directly from his YouTube description, here's what it is all about:

    Quote Originally Posted by iH8sn0w;
    The issue was dealing with how redsn0w/sn0wbreeze did sandbox patches in the kernel. For those that don't know, sandbox is a security measure that is used to ensure applications such as Safari don't have access to personal information or system files.
    On top of this, he mentioned that this is not to be considered a stable fix. He continues on to say that a stable fix is not something he's looking to do or release any time soon. Hopefully his work towards fixing this issue will drive other developers to get on it and release it.

    Watch the video below to see iH8sn0w demoing iBooks on his jailbroken iPod touch 4G on iOS 5:



    Are you excited to see this working? Or is iBooks that is something not worth your while? Post your comments here!

    Source(s): iH8sn0w
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iBooks on iOS 5 Jailbroken [VIDEO] started by Joshua Tucker View original post
    Comments 35 Comments
    1. DXNNX's Avatar
      DXNNX -
      thanks very nice
    1. Megaorange's Avatar
      Megaorange -
      iBooks seems to break very often on updated firmwares
    1. DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
      DayumQuitPlayin -
      I'm an iBooks user and would love to see this app working soon on my iPhone/iPad. Am glad to see this issue being addressed.

      On another note, when will MMi fix their website? I just installed their app just to reply to this article, I prefer using Safari.app. Btw... $2.99 to remove ads is ridiculous #JustSayin
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      Or is iBooks another one of those applications you wish didn't take up your iDevice's space?
      ??? You don't have to install iBooks so how could it be a app that takes up space? Just don't install it if you don't want it.
      Now NewsStand is one of those apps that does take up space as you cant uninstall it as it does come with IOS5.
      I'm really surprised iBooks doesn't come pre-installed as it should. There is a tab for it in iTunes so it should be one of those pre-installed apps.

      I always thought Apple didn't think too smart and this is another reason my thoughts are correct.
    1. djdom111's Avatar
      djdom111 -
      Quote Originally Posted by DXNNX View Post
      thanks very nice
      Doesn't work at all on my iphone 4
    1. Joshua Tucker's Avatar
      Joshua Tucker -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      ??? You don't have to install iBooks so how could it be a app that takes up space? Just don't install it if you don't want it.
      Now NewsStand is one of those apps that does take up space as you cant uninstall it as it does come with IOS5.
      I'm really surprised iBooks doesn't come pre-installed as it should. There is a tab for it in iTunes so it should be one of those pre-installed apps.

      I always thought Apple didn't think too smart and this is another reason my thoughts are correct.
      You must remember that every time you open the App Store and iBooks isn't installed, it will prompt you to install or dismiss. I would presume most people just install it to stop dealing with the constant pop-up.
    1. engelke2010's Avatar
      engelke2010 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
      You must remember that every time you open the App Store and iBooks isn't installed, it will prompt you to install or dismiss. I would presume most people just install it to stop dealing with the constant pop-up.
      I don't have iBooks installed on my iPhone, only my iPad. I never see any prompt to install on my phone when iTunes is open and my phone is hooked up to my PC.
    1. Orby's Avatar
      Orby -
      Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
      You must remember that every time you open the App Store and iBooks isn't installed, it will prompt you to install or dismiss. I would presume most people just install it to stop dealing with the constant pop-up.
      The original point is still valid. Why not just include it in the OS image if you're just going to constantly nag users to download it? iBooks uses a crap-ton of unpublished APIs as well as its own DRM scheme, just like Newsstand--I wonder why Apple didn't just merge the two applications as one system application in iOS 5?

      Anyway, I wonder if hunnypot will be patched or a new jailbreak (plus kernel patches) come out before sn0w releases his fix...
    1. Joshua Tucker's Avatar
      Joshua Tucker -
      Quote Originally Posted by engelke2010 View Post
      I don't have iBooks installed on my iPhone, only my iPad. I never see any prompt to install on my phone when iTunes is open and my phone is hooked up to my PC.
      Hmm. That's something I've experienced since the beginning. And a lot of people have as well. Interesting - I could be mistaken, but odd nonetheless.
    1. emerica6708's Avatar
      emerica6708 -
      I have it installed on my iPad but when I didn't I never got a popup saying to install it, don't have it on my iP4 and it doesn't say anything there either. It has popped up a few times in the past but I don't remember what I did to make it happen.
    1. WTFX's Avatar
      WTFX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
      Hmm. That's something I've experienced since the beginning. And a lot of people have as well. Interesting - I could be mistaken, but odd nonetheless.
      The "would you like to download iBooks" nag only shows up the first time you run App Store after restoring (or getting a new phone obviously). I know this for a fact.
    1. Andydigital's Avatar
      Andydigital -
      Deleted its in the comments now.
    1. coconutxyz's Avatar
      coconutxyz -
      not working
    1. MikePA's Avatar
      MikePA -
      Is there a reason you did not post the actual instructions to get iBooks working??? "To do this, you need OpenSSH. Find your iBooks.ipa file, change the extension to .zip, extract it. After that, SSH the iBooks.app folder to /private/var/stash/Application*s, open iBooks, let it crash, and open again. Enjoy "
    1. fbloise's Avatar
      fbloise -
      Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
      Is there a reason you did not post the actual instructions to get iBooks working??? "To do this, you need OpenSSH. Find your iBooks.ipa file, change the extension to .zip, extract it. After that, SSH the iBooks.app folder to /private/var/stash/Application*s, open iBooks, let it crash, and open again. Enjoy "
      Tried that, didnt work. After this the iBooks cant even be uninstalled.
    1. MikePA's Avatar
      MikePA -
      Quote Originally Posted by fbloise View Post
      Tried that, didnt work. After this the iBooks cant even be uninstalled.
      Wow, what a deal. Not only doesn't it work, it makes things worse.
    1. tjb5099's Avatar
      tjb5099 -
      lmao so thats why it only crashes for me, xD noooowwww i get it haha
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      I found the solution

      Restore iPhone then don't jailbreak lol
    1. baRRy boRRis's Avatar
      baRRy boRRis -
      I just assumed that it was my iPod being ******, but it's an actual bug!
    1. Joshua Tucker's Avatar
      Joshua Tucker -
      For all that may be having issues,Remember that it is mentioned clearly that this is not a stable fix. With that said, you're bound to run into issues.