• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Sprint Putting an End to Unlimited Data?

    Sprint is killing some of their unlimited data plans.

    Starting in November 2011, Sprint is going to start denting their data users. Ironically enough, though, it's not for smartphones. The caps plan to set limits on people who use Sprint's data network for computers, tablets, mobile hotspots, mobile broadband users, and other things of that nature that use absolutely massive amounts of data. Smartphones, which generally load mobile, size-light versions of websites, won't affect Sprint's network that much. The target by Sprint appears to be the size-heavy website loaders that clog up Sprint's network by streaming full length videos, uploading/downloading media, and loading full webpages using hotspots or connect cards on their tablets and PC's. The biggest cap will allow for 5GB of data. Sprint's new data chart, effective starting this November, can be viewed below:



    The plan does not affect smartphone users like the iPhone. The iPhone will continue to support unlimited data, as will other smartphones including Android, and Windows Phone 7; excluding using the personal hotspot feature, which is capped at 5GB. There will be overage fees just like any other service provider, for anyone that goes over the 5GB cap (assuming they selected the 5GB cap plan). The cap will apply to both 3G and 4G networks. Overage costs will be 5˘ per Megabyte that you use over your cap. That's $1 per 20MB that you use over your cap.

    When using data roaming, prices differ a little bit. Data roaming is very expensive, which is why it's no surprise that people generally choose to turn that option off in their iPhone network settings. Sprint will only give you 100MB of roaming data on the 3GB cap plan, and 300MB of raming data on the other two data plans. For each Megabyte that you go over those caps, you will be charged 25˘. That's $1 per 4MB that you use over your cap.

    It's important to understand that if you have unlimited data already that you will not be grandfathered into it. Sprint will automatically change your data plan to the capped version. So this will not be like Verizon, or AT&T where you could have signed up for the unlimited data plan before they change how much cellular data users use. But as the iPhone 4S just came out on the Sprint network, they still want to attract as many customers as possible, so they will probably keep the unlimited data plan on the smartphone market for a little while longer. After that, absolute power will corrupt absolutely, and smartphone users will all be forced under caps.

    Could this be Sprint answering the cries of iPhone 4S users complaining about Sprint's slow 3G data speeds? Share what you think below.

    Sources: Sprint
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Sprint Putting an End to Unlimited Data? started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      I told you Sprint was going to do this. I told you!
    1. Kinkme93's Avatar
      Kinkme93 -
      I jus switched to sprint! I miss AT&T hahah fml
    1. monish1's Avatar
      monish1 -
      Throughout all of 2011, the unlimited data plan has become a thing of the past. Allowing a customer to suck up as much bandwidth as they’d like and only pay one fee was really a draw for some users to join a network. Today, Sprint announced they have plans to end they data buffet and will discontinue unlimited data plans on all phones except those that will be discontinued. If you are using a tablet, netbook or other mobile hotspot, the usage of the 4G network will be capped just like that of the 3G services. Earlier this year, Verizon Wireless, AT&T and T-Mobile USA have capped their data plans for the same reasons.
    1. fine12's Avatar
      fine12 -
      The reason why i want to do this is because the sprint store doesnt have any in stock and i can reserve on apple.com and i want to trade in my old phone to put it towards my iphone 4s purchas?
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by monish1 View Post
      Throughout all of 2011, the unlimited data plan has become a thing of the past. Allowing a customer to suck up as much bandwidth as they’d like and only pay one fee was really a draw for some users to join a network. Today, Sprint announced they have plans to end they data buffet and will discontinue unlimited data plans on all phones except those that will be discontinued. If you are using a tablet, netbook or other mobile hotspot, the usage of the 4G network will be capped just like that of the 3G services. Earlier this year, Verizon Wireless, AT&T and T-Mobile USA have capped their data plans for the same reasons.
      I don't know about u but I love my unlimited data plan the only issue for me is I'm in a family unlimited plan that We were grandfathered in
    1. cmwade77's Avatar
      cmwade77 -
      Just so everyone is aware if they are not grandfathering you in to an unlimited plan you have 30-60 days (depending on where you live) to get out after the change, and not have to pay an early termination fee and don't let them tell you otherwise.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
      Just so everyone is aware if they are not grandfathering you in to an unlimited plan you have 30-60 days (depending on where you live) to get out after the change, and not have to pay an early termination fee and don't let them tell you otherwise.
      Since they are the ones terminating the 'unlimited plan' early,
      shouldn't Sprint be paying early termination fees to affected customers?
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      Since they are the ones terminating the 'unlimited plan' early,
      shouldn't Sprint be paying early termination fees to affected customers?
      Or at least take more then $70 a new iPhone to upgrade, at least that's what I was told
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      Or at least take more then $70 a new iPhone to upgrade, at least that's what I was told
      huh?
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Lol Anthony, if your available for an upgrade they will only pay $70 of the new phone, the upgrade is only woth at max $70 or at least that's what I'm being told

      Well they just showed there unlimited data plan on TV today, and there playing it right now lol with the Samsung Galaxy