• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Steve Jobs' Vow To "Destroy Android"


    It isn’t much of a surprise for iOS users to dislike Android products and furthermore, it isn’t much of a surprise to find out that Steve Jobs felt the same way. Android has been seen as one of the biggest competitors for the iOS platform for quite some time now and people argue with pros and cons for each daily.

    According to the Associated Press, which ended up getting an early look at the upcoming Steve Jobs biography written by Walter Isaacson, Jobs said the following about Android:
    I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this.
    The statement was Jobs’ response to the introduction of an HTC handset in January 2010. The HTC handset was too similar to the iPhone and had angered Jobs. This is when Jobs met with Eric Schmidt and discussed what he called was “grand theft.” During this discussion, Jobs told Schmidt that he would not accept any settlement, no matter what the price was and he even ordered the Google chief to stop copying the iPhone. Although, Android handset makers didn’t really listen and many smartphones still to this day try to imitate the iPhone, Jobs’ stand does help us understand all the legal battles that Apple is currently involved with, in an attempt to secure the company’s intellectual property.

    With the iPhone 4S injunctions between Samsung and Apple, to Samsung going as far as claiming their new Galaxy Nexus smartphone is designed to avoid any patent infringement cases it seems like some Android handset makers are heavily involved in the whole scenario.

    I personally believe that in many cases, Jobs did succeed to a certain extent with “destroying Android.” Although Apple’s iPhone 4S might not have the best hardware in the market, the iOS platform is one of the most refined platforms that appeals to consumers of all skill levels. Give the iPhone to someone as skilled as a developer or to someone who may be new to technology such as a grandparent and the iOS platform seems to impress not only both but everyone in between as well (generally). Apple even went as far as not showcasing any hardware specifications in their latest advertisement for the iPhone 4S and is receiving positive feedback. Furthermore, the iPhone 4S has been a huge success despite receiving disappointing initial reviews and the company having Steve Jobs on their homepage for 2 weeks during its release.

    How do you feel about the whole ordeal? Share any thoughts and comments below!

    Source: Associated Press
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Steve Job's Vow To "Destroy Android" started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 81 Comments
    1. Moreno53's Avatar
      Moreno53 -
      Lmao at some of these morons saying ios is a rip off, of windows mobile, blackberry and palm. Thats like saying flat screen LCD TVs ripped of black and white Tvs. I swear these Internet blogs produce some of the dumbest morons on the planet.
    1. JerseyScottie's Avatar
      JerseyScottie -
      I personally switched a few months back to an android device..htc inspire 4g to be exact. Im not a hater of apple, but after having a 3g, 3gs then the 4..it just wasnt doing it for me anymore..i love how open android is although im sure ill get bashed with "well if you jailbreak the iphone.." I'm perfectly content with the fact that i can have an open phone and a warranty. But as for steve complaining about andoid stealing ideas...lol, how about the fact that apple was sued from the getgo by Nokia for what apple is accusing android of doing.iOS5 now has a drop down notification panel just like android.So if they want to complain and point fingers they have to realize it goes both ways. But in the long run...Nokia says hi.
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Quote Originally Posted by SergeantMAC View Post
      Is that why before the release of the iPhone 4S the iPhone 4 was the most popular phone in the WORLD and the 3GS was the second most popular??????
      I didn't know that the iPhone 4 was more popular than android so that's news to me. Android keeps getting better and so does iOS. I don't have anything against iOS as it's a great OS. I personally have the iPad 2 and use it a lot. I have used the iPhone and have also used many android phones and I really can't give the edge to either one of them so to me it's a draw. I've used the Nexus One for a year and a half and now I have the Nexus S and I'm waiting for the Nexus Galaxy. Now I will say I am probably going to sell my iPad 2 and get the T-Mobile 10.1 tablet for the simple fact that I'm tired of Apple and their lawsuits so I just can't support Apple anymore. I will say I do love my $29.99 unlimited data plan though.
    1. ohthatguyagain's Avatar
      ohthatguyagain -
      Just to point something out - nobody here can point to a capacitive-touch smartphone with the style and design of modern smartphones that existed prior to the original iPhone. That, along with a fully-featured operating system, is what Apple patented.

      If the US government cannot abide by simple patent laws, then patents serve no other purpose than to impose tariffs on the spirit of good and free will, brilliant minds, and great innovators of tomorrow.

      It's absolutely absurd that some of today's smartphones are permitted to sell in the US. Fair Competition and anti-monopoly laws aside, original thought from other companies might actually ADVANCE the technology field instead of perpetuate base-level (term based on sales figures) competition.
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
      Lmao at some of these morons saying ios is a rip off, of windows mobile, blackberry and palm. Thats like saying flat screen LCD TVs ripped of black and white Tvs. I swear these Internet blogs produce some of the dumbest morons on the planet.
      Your right, you are here posting on the internet blogs.
    1. Kinkme93's Avatar
      Kinkme93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Wishing there to be no competitor to iOS is very silly and shortsighted.

      Fanboyisms aside, in absolutely every single market on earth, you want competition and not a monopoly.

      I would rather Android and Windows 7 become more popular in the future.
      I 100% agree bro!
    1. Hillefied's Avatar
      Hillefied -
      Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
      Just to point something out - nobody here can point to a capacitive-touch smartphone with the style and design of modern smartphones that existed prior to the original iPhone. That, along with a fully-featured operating system, is what Apple patented.

      If the US government cannot abide by simple patent laws, then patents serve no other purpose than to impose tariffs on the spirit of good and free will, brilliant minds, and great innovators of tomorrow.

      It's absolutely absurd that some of today's smartphones are permitted to sell in the US. Fair Competition and anti-monopoly laws aside, original thought from other companies might actually ADVANCE the technology field instead of perpetuate base-level (term based on sales figures) competition.
      You must not be familiar with patent laws. If you are, I apologize for suggesting you don't understand. When a patent is filed and ruled as intellectual property to the filer, then the patent may only be infringed upon if a non-filer produces a similar effect without permission or associated patent use fees. Samsung is at fault as a smartphone manufacturer who produces iPhone like qualities physical by comparison. Android is the primary OS for Samsung smartphones and android has utilized software features and designs that mimic iOS. All of which hasn't been permissive of Apple. Politically and federally, I understand Apples cause, albeit a moot point since Steve Job's passing. Economically and socially, I cannot abide by the consistent battles on a monopolizing rampage to literally privatize smartphone technology.

      IMHO, naturally.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      It is always the thief that calls others a thief.No amount of money can hide facts.I guess Jobs have to say this to diefy himself to his followers...
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
      Just to point something out - nobody here can point to a capacitive-touch smartphone with the style and design of modern smartphones that existed prior to the original iPhone. That, along with a fully-featured operating system, is what Apple patented.

      If the US government cannot abide by simple patent laws, then patents serve no other purpose than to impose tariffs on the spirit of good and free will, brilliant minds, and great innovators of tomorrow.

      It's absolutely absurd that some of today's smartphones are permitted to sell in the US. Fair Competition and anti-monopoly laws aside, original thought from other companies might actually ADVANCE the technology field instead of perpetuate base-level (term based on sales figures) competition.
      It's absurd that you think that because Apple had the first capacitive touchscreen smartphone on the market (I don't know that this is true, but let's say it is, because it's not the point of my argument) it should warrant removing all other things like it from the market. if that's how things worked literally ALL technology would be ages behind.

      A quick note on patents. One cannot blatantly copy a patent. If it is proven that they IMPROVED upon the patent, it is perfectly acceptable. And that is how it should be.
    1. nels0niko's Avatar
      nels0niko -
      Quote Originally Posted by xxhorseriderxxx View Post
      If you guys would stop being so close minded you'd see how great android is. I'll never buy another apple product again because of the simple fact that android does everything iOS can do, has a fantastic dev community, and (with the exception of motorolla and some HTC phones) almost any worthwhile android phone can be "Jailbroken" for life no matter what; there's no need for exploits, waiting for untethered, exe. IOS is great, but in the bigger picture it is most definitely not superior. I highly suggest everyone here skip the iPhone 4S and go with a galaxy s2 or something that they like while apple remains stagnated, I swear you won't regret the larger screen and functionality.
      It's obvious you have never owned a iPhone. I was all about Droid at one time, Galaxy S, HTC Evo and then SGS II. I sold my SGS II because when I used my girlfriends iphone 4, I was stunned at the speed and smoothness iOS was. Tthe browser on the iphone was ridiculous fast compared to my old SGS II and she was unlocked on T-Mobile. After that it was a wrap. I went and got a iPhone 4s 64gb and to my surprise its even faster, extremely faster. It just never lags unlike every Droid I've owned. The best phone I have ever owned. Period!!
    1. MXCO's Avatar
      MXCO -
      I love apple, but i mean that said a lot when they copied android with the notification thingy.... Just saying.
    1. carlbgc's Avatar
      carlbgc -
      It's obvious you have never owned a iPhone. I was all about Droid at one time, Galaxy S, HTC Evo and then SGS II. I sold my SGS II because when I used my girlfriends iphone 4, I was stunned at the speed and smoothness iOS was. Tthe browser on the iphone was ridiculous fast compared to my old SGS II and she was unlocked on T-Mobile. After that it was a wrap. I went and got a iPhone 4s 64gb and to my surprise its even faster, extremely faster. It just never lags unlike every Droid I've owned. The best phone I have ever owned. Period!!
      Well thats just rubbish.

      I have an SGS2 and an iPhone 4, the SGS blows it out of the water speed-wise.

      But I still prefer iOS for the smoothness.


      However, if we keep having to wait so long for untethered jailbreaks I'm gonna have to go back to Android.
    1. bish0p34's Avatar
      bish0p34 -
      Quote Originally Posted by nels0niko View Post
      It's obvious you have never owned a iPhone. I was all about Droid at one time, Galaxy S, HTC Evo and then SGS II. I sold my SGS II because when I used my girlfriends iphone 4, I was stunned at the speed and smoothness iOS was. Tthe browser on the iphone was ridiculous fast compared to my old SGS II and she was unlocked on T-Mobile. After that it was a wrap. I went and got a iPhone 4s 64gb and to my surprise its even faster, extremely faster. It just never lags unlike every Droid I've owned. The best phone I have ever owned. Period!!
      Funny, I have an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy Captivate. I pretty much use the iPhone as a video camera. My iPhone lags just as much as my Android, has more app crashes (Facebook for iPhone is HORRIBLE), and has had to be restored 6 times in less than a year. It was also replaced, and that took three very long drives to the few-and-far-between Apple stores. They didn't want to replace the phone lol, even though the home button stopped working. It's no better or smoother than a good Android phone, it's just different. I'm still on my first Samsung phone though.

      Also, Apple didn't invent very much. They took what already existed, repackaged it with a great amount of limits (adding to stability), and made it easy to use. Why does it sell so much? Because it's so easy to use that any non-techie can figure it out....and the world is dominated by non-techies. It's a great phone, with an OS that's "borrowed" as much from others as it's been borrowed from. Don't like it? Don't buy an Android, millions of other people will. I'll eventually get a GalaxyII and a 4s. I like them both for different things.

      This article is one of the worst I've read on this site. I come to ModmyI because the people here seem more open-minded about both OSes than the pretentiousness over at TiPB. This article should have been on their site.

      P.S. No matter how many times I run speedtest at home on a good wifi signal, my iPhone RARELY beats the Samsung.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      ^^^ I second this. Trying using Google voice on the iPhone currently. It's borderline unusable!

      Quote Originally Posted by bish0p34 View Post

      P.S. No matter how many times I run speedtest at home on a good wifi signal, my iPhone RARELY beats the Samsung.
      I don't know that there is anything wrong with the article itself. It's stating what Steve (apparently) said regarding Android. I am a little disappointed and, if I can say it, let down, but it is what it is. An eye opener at the very least.
    1. SergeantMAC's Avatar
      SergeantMAC -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
      Yeah none of this is actually true.
      Notice in the commercial all they say is "the most vibrant screen available" they don't say the best screen, fastest os, or best overall experience, and the reason is because the galaxy s II doesn't have those things. Don't hate me hate Samsung.

      Quote Originally Posted by bish0p34 View Post
      Funny, I have an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy Captivate. I pretty much use the iPhone as a video camera. My iPhone lags just as much as my Android, has more app crashes (Facebook for iPhone is HORRIBLE), and has had to be restored 6 times in less than a year. It was also replaced, and that took three very long drives to the few-and-far-between Apple stores. They didn't want to replace the phone lol, even though the home button stopped working. It's no better or smoother than a good Android phone, it's just different. I'm still on my first Samsung phone though.

      Also, Apple didn't invent very much. They took what already existed, repackaged it with a great amount of limits (adding to stability), and made it easy to use. Why does it sell so much? Because it's so easy to use that any non-techie can figure it out....and the world is dominated by non-techies. It's a great phone, with an OS that's "borrowed" as much from others as it's been borrowed from. Don't like it? Don't buy an Android, millions of other people will. I'll eventually get a GalaxyII and a 4s. I like them both for different things.

      This article is one of the worst I've read on this site. I come to ModmyI because the people here seem more open-minded about both OSes than the pretentiousness over at TiPB. This article should have been on their site.

      P.S. No matter how many times I run speedtest at home on a good wifi signal, my iPhone RARELY beats the Samsung.
      I bet u a grip the 4s crushes the galaxy s II. But either way. I've literally never had my
      Facebook app crash. Dunno what you've done to ur phone to make it like that. Anyhow to each their own no hate cuz ppl use different phones it keeps the companies working harder and I'm all for good competition
    1. ziim's Avatar
      ziim -
      All I can say is WOW. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Steve showed off his prototype iPhone to some board members of Google. Before that happened, EVERY Android device looked like a blackberry! Google blatantly ripped off the iPhone, and they gave All the hardware makers information on how to do it. If it wasn't for the iPhone, android would be competing with RIM. I'm not an apple fanboi, I don't own a single iPod or MAC. I have never owned anything apple until the iPhone. I use Windows XP and Ubuntu as my OS's of choice. Its understandable that apple products are not liked by an average user because the average user doesn't have the money apple asks for. I have a hard time wanting to pay up to 4 times what a product is worth because of the OS. The iPhone however pioneered this technology and has it right. I have had my hands on just about every US released android and only gimmicks and the hate for apple give them and credence. I've even installed android on my 2g and 3g iPhone. There is not a touch screen out there as good as the iPhones. History repeats itself, Steve did this with Bill Gates and didn't learn his lesson. When you have something that you know that everyone is going to want, you shouldn't show it to would be competitors.
    1. GeoffS4's Avatar
      GeoffS4 -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Wishing there to be no competitor to iOS is very silly and shortsighted.

      Fanboyisms aside, in absolutely every single market on earth, you want competition and not a monopoly.

      I would rather Android and Windows 7 become more popular in the future.
      The point of seeing them "die" is not due to competition, it is due to copy infringement. The lack of innovation. I am sure Apple has no problem with innovations outside of their own, just don't steal it. "Commit the crime, do the time", in this case, die baby die!

      Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
      Umm, I don't understand how Android is a stolen idea.Smart Phones were around before Apple came up with one, there's:Windows Mobile, Palm & Blackberry just to name a few.Palm's interface was similar to the iPhone at one point in time, the difference being the need for a Stylus.Did Apple improve the smartphone? Yes, but not as dramatically as they want us to believe and Google has every right to compete with it.
      Apple does not have a problem with "smart-phones", that was your incorrect guess. The style, the interface, the whole look and feel was clear. The way the interface worked was clear. If it was not dramatic, then share with us why the iphone has come to the point it has in such a short amount of time.

      Nope, you are missing the point.
    1. nels0niko's Avatar
      nels0niko -
      Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
      Well thats just rubbish.

      I have an SGS2 and an iPhone 4, the SGS blows it out of the water speed-wise.

      But I still prefer iOS for the smoothness.


      However, if we keep having to wait so long for untethered jailbreaks I'm gonna have to go back to Android.
      I don't mind waiting for the JB for i4S. I'm sure it won't be too long. Your SGS being faster, lol, What can I say. I know I'm not crazy and the my new i4S smoked my SGS II, Sold it on eBay for 300.00. But don't sell that SGS, it could be a one of a kind.
    1. carlbgc's Avatar
      carlbgc -
      Obviously the 4S will beat the SGS2, the Samsung is a ~6 month old phone.

      You said the iPhone 4 is faster than the SGS2, I said you are wrong. You must be the only person in the world who thinks an iP4 is faster than an SGS2.
    1. nels0niko's Avatar
      nels0niko -
      Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
      Obviously the 4S will beat the SGS2, the Samsung is a ~6 month old phone.

      You said the iPhone 4 is faster than the SGS2, I said you are wrong. You must be the only person in the world who thinks an iP4 is faster than an SGS2.
      Nope, I meant a 4S. But I just installed ios5 on my son's 4 and it improved a whole lot.

      Quote Originally Posted by ziim View Post
      All I can say is WOW. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Steve showed off his prototype iPhone to some board members of Google. Before that happened, EVERY Android device looked like a blackberry! Google blatantly ripped off the iPhone, and they gave All the hardware makers information on how to do it. If it wasn't for the iPhone, android would be competing with RIM. I'm not an apple fanboi, I don't own a single iPod or MAC. I have never owned anything apple until the iPhone. I use Windows XP and Ubuntu as my OS's of choice. Its understandable that apple products are not liked by an average user because the average user doesn't have the money apple asks for. I have a hard time wanting to pay up to 4 times what a product is worth because of the OS. The iPhone however pioneered this technology and has it right. I have had my hands on just about every US released android and only gimmicks and the hate for apple give them and credence. I've even installed android on my 2g and 3g iPhone. There is not a touch screen out there as good as the iPhones. History repeats itself, Steve did this with Bill Gates and didn't learn his lesson. When you have something that you know that everyone is going to want, you shouldn't show it to would be competitors.
      Wow, that's right! A lesson he sure did not learn. Hey did you hear that Duarte Matias was seen rockin a i4S and somebody asked him, Why are you using a iphone? he replies, "I need something that works and my Galaxy Nexus won't recognize my face."