• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple's 2012 Redesigned iPhone 5 Was Steve Jobs' Last Hurrah


    The significantly redesigned iPhone 5 we expected to see earlier this month won't be unveiled until 2012. But perhaps what's most noteworthy about this report is that the iPhone 5 will represent the last iPhone refresh that late Apple icon Steve Jobs was heavily involved with. Saying that Jobs was "intimately involved" with the iPhone 5 is Rodman & Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar.

    The iPhone 4S is not the last major project that Steve Jobs worked on.
    Kumar reveals in a note to investors Monday that his sources at Apple confirm that the iPhone 5 will, indeed, be significantly redesigned. The next iPhone "will have a slimmer profile and larger screen size but with the same dimensions as the iPhone 4S ... The iPhone is also expected to have LTE, or Long Term Evolution--what's sometimes referred to as 4G."

    Hearing the same thing from another connected informer, Brooke Crothers of CNET reports Monday that "another source, who I spoke with this week and who claims to have knowledge of the redesign, said the iPhone 5 is a 'complete redesign.' This is a very large project that Steve dedicated all of his time to. He was not that involved in the 4S because his time was limited."

    On the staggeringly successful opening weekend launch of the iPhone 4S, it's unlikely that anyone wants to expend much energy on iPhone 5 rumors today. But the rumor of the redesign isn't the story here. The story is that the next iPhone will be another Steve Jobs' brainchild. While we've all heard that Jobs' had mapped out a future product strategy for Apple before his passing, this is the first we're hearing about Jobs being intimately involved with the design of an iPhone that's another generation ahead of the model introduced just three days ago.

    Source: CNET
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple's 2012 Redesigned iPhone 5 Was Steve Jobs' Last Hurrah started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 82 Comments
    1. bigliquid530's Avatar
      bigliquid530 -
      They should have a Steve Job edition iPhone 5 that would be sweet.....
    1. arnold33168's Avatar
      arnold33168 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Justin9825 View Post
      If that is true then your theory does not prove correct when you take in account the 3GS. they went from 3G..3GS to 4.
      Your reply is wrong. Apple called it 3G because it it was the first iPhone opperating on "3G" network, not the generation of the phone. The i4 is the 4th gen phone. 4s is an upgrade to i4, like 3GS is to 3G. The next phone will not be an i5 because it's not a 5th generation iPhone. It will likely called i6.
    1. Mazentm's Avatar
      Mazentm -
      Quote Originally Posted by ssjbrolly View Post
      First no need to be all pissed off and second think before you put numbers in everything. There was 3G then 3GS then 4 and 4S so what makes u think there won't be another 5 and 5S?
      Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
      Because when the iphone 4 came out it actually WAS the 4th generation iphone. Why don't you take a second think?
      if this is the 5th generation iphone and its called the 4s rather than 5 whats to stop them from calling the 6th generation iphone 5 rather than 6? Why don't you take a second to think?
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazentm View Post
      if this is the 5th generation iphone and its called the 4s rather than 5 whats to stop them from calling the 6th generation iphone 5 rather than 6? Why don't you take a second to think?
      Why the frack do people even care what it's called? Some of you are so pathetic that you have actually spent time arguing what it will be called.


      I for one don't really care if Steve-O had anythng to do with the i5 or not..... I will buy it because 1. I get a yearly upgrade 2.I can afford it 3. I see no reason not to simply because I can. Larger screen with same size..... yes please.
    1. Aehmlo's Avatar
      Aehmlo -
      Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
      What makes you think the 5 won't be a "good" phone as you say? I swear some people are so pessimistic!

      This makes me want to wait for this next one, but I'm not sure if I can deal with my POS 3GS for another 7-8 months.
      You think your iPhone 3G[S] is bad, I have an iPhone 3G and my wife has the original.
    1. iDeadman's Avatar
      iDeadman -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
      It's fun to argue. Otherwise message boards would completely suck!

      You could also get off your high horse and quit telling people what they should and should not talk about.

      Then, I would have to get off my high horse and quit telling you to get off your high horse.

      Of course, by now the horses are so high we'll get hurt just trying to dismount, so I'll stay atop my perch up here.
      I never said what to say or not say, I said it doesn't matter what it's called. Simple enough. However, you think, therefore I like you.

      Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
      Why the frack do people even care what it's called? Some of you are so pathetic that you have actually spent time arguing what it will be called.


      I for one don't really care if Steve-O had anythng to do with the i5 or not..... I will buy it because 1. I get a yearly upgrade 2.I can afford it 3. I see no reason not to simply because I can. Larger screen with same size..... yes please.

      Well said, well said
    1. tridley68's Avatar
      tridley68 -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
      It's fun to argue. Otherwise message boards would completely suck!

      You could also get off your high horse and quit telling people what they should and should not talk about.

      Then, I would have to get off my high horse and quit telling you to get off your high horse.

      Of course, by now the horses are so high we'll get hurt just trying to dismount, so I'll stay atop my perch up here.
      it will be called the i phone plataniumor the steve jobs tribute i phone
    1. Turnamental's Avatar
      Turnamental -
      It doesn't matter what it's gonna be called...

      All of y'all and including me are gonna shell out the $$$ and buy it!
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Well since i'll most likely sell my iPhone 4S for nearly the same price that i'll pay for the iPhone 5 (just like my previous two devices)......i'll probably get the iPhone 5 next year.
    1. cuzz501's Avatar
      cuzz501 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
      The Next phone will be called the 6, regardless of it's real name. It's going to be the 6th generation iphone.
      the truth is that iPhone's have been named by design and redesign. the 1st was the iPhone the second was the 3G because of 3G network connectivity not iPhone 2. 3GS shared the same design but was updated with a few improvements. iPhone 4 was the forth generation. The 4S shared the same design as the iPhone 4. Truth is the only iPhone that follows a "generation" name is the iPhone 4. Who knows what the next will be. Maybe it will be called the iPhone 4G because of 4G compatibility. Who Knows. Maybe they'll call it the the iPhone 5, the only way we will ever know is when they release it. you can call it iPhone 6 but that's stupid. I bet you didn't call the 3G iPhone 2, or call the iPhone 4S an iPhone 5.
    1. jizzy73's Avatar
      jizzy73 -
      iPhone LTE
    1. justinpotter81's Avatar
      justinpotter81 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jizzy73 View Post
      iPhone LTE
      Good Point;This is actually the most probable logic of the iPhone name game....it definitely won't be called an iPhone 5.

      And to people who keep saying, "who cares what the name is!", you people actually care the most of all.
    1. TenKnots's Avatar
      TenKnots -
      oh my great! willing to wait on this one, won't replace my iPhone 4 until iPhone 5 comes
    1. mutethoughts's Avatar
      mutethoughts -
      ..
    1. Venom1234's Avatar
      Venom1234 -
      Lol give it a rest the iPhone 4S just came out at least wait a few months before you start the rumor mill!
    1. Tucnepo's Avatar
      Tucnepo -
      I wont buy the next gen iphone had they not name it something i want
    1. rasputin007's Avatar
      rasputin007 -
      With reference to the involvement of Steve Jobs on the new design of the next generation of the iPhone and as a mark of respect to the "father" of the iPhone, Apple should call it
      "The iJob"
    1. Nintendo Fingers's Avatar
      Nintendo Fingers -
      Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
      How does the naming of the iPhones work. I would think that the next iPhone would be iPhone 6, Seeing how it will be the 6th phone. Isn't that why there was iPhone 4, the forth phone. Yea they called this last one 4s, but its because its just a remake of the 4? The 4 didnt stand for anything, it wasnt 4G.

      Idk, im just curious. Thats the way i look at it.
      Think of the iPhone generation like this
      3GS-3.5
      Ip 4-4.0
      Ip 4S-4.5
      At each whole number we get a whole new redesigned phone lol. Like the 3GS & 4S isn't technically a new phone , more like a update with better hardware with the same design. The current PS3 wouldn't be called "Playstation 6" even though it's sony's 6th console design, it's an update from the original PS3 with slightly more features and hardware called it "PS3 Slim". I think apple will continue these ip names throwing off half the ppl unless they make ip5, ip 5S and a special ip5 steve jobs edition or something like that to further confuse ppl lol oh and rumors don't help cause each title to a rumor about a new ip always says "NEXT GENERATION iphone to have blah blah new features" now ppl expecting a completely new phone.

      Something told me not to buy a 4S and I'm glad I didn't. Had my 3GS since It came out and still does me fine, so what's another year!!! lol
    1. pekosfin's Avatar
      pekosfin -
      I'd very much like to believe that, but the fact that Ashok Kumar is quoted in this post makes it difficult!Unless the guy has refreshed his "connections" and "inside sources", his track record shows that his analysis about Apple is usually the opposite of what to expect.Daring Fireball: Regarding Ashok Kumar's Track Record on Apple
    1. chris-tt's Avatar
      chris-tt -
      In my opinion it's going to be called the iPhone 5. Why?
      It's pretty simple marketing. The number doesn't correlate directly with the revision of phone but when there is a major change/revamp.
      The 3s is just the 3 with better spec, the 4 was a complete revamp of the phone. The 4s again is the 4 with better spec, the 5 will once again be a complete revamp.

      I have no idea why people think the number has to relate to the revision, surely when the 4s wasn't called the iPhone 5 that puts that theory to bed.
      I will bet money with whoever wants it won't be called the iPhone 6.