• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Samsung Lawyers Unable to Identify Galaxy Tab When Asked By Judge During Court Hearing



    Samsung attorney Kate Sullivan when asked by U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh if she could tell which one of the two tablets the judge held above her head was the Galaxy Tab 10.1 Sullivan responded “Not at this distance, your honor.”

    That distance was a measly 10 feet! Facepalm, facepalm, facepalm.

    How can Samsung’s lawyers, who have been battling Apple in patent cases across the world, not be able to tell the difference between an iPad 2 and their Galaxy Tablet when prompted to do so in court. I don’t care if its 10 feet, 20 feet, or across the court room these lawyers should be able to spot their tablets in a lineup faster than a kid spots Waldo in an empty room.

    The judge then asked the rest of Samsung’s legal team if any of them could tell which tablet displayed was Apple’s and which one was Samsung’s, only then did one of Samsung’s lawyers supply the right answer.

    Judge Koh decided that Samsung’s Galaxy-branded tablets do infringe on some of Apple’s tablets, but Apple must still prove that their patents are valid under the law before she could grant Apple an injunction. Koh wrote that she wouldn’t grant the injunction based on the “utility” patent Apple claims Samsung is infringing upon, but she is still considering three other design patents.

    If Samsung’s lawyer’s inability to identify the tablet from 10 feet away is any indication of how Koh might rule the case, Samsung better start planning a redesign if they want to sell their tablets in the U.S.


    Source: Reuters
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Samsung Lawyers Unable to Identify Galaxy Tab When Asked By Judge During Court Hearing started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 34 Comments
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      LMAO Well she's fired!!!!
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      This whole thing is complete BS. Who the hell cares if you can't tell the difference 10 to 20 feet away. It runs a completely different OS/iOS and it's different hardware also. Do you see Ford/Chevy/Toyota crying about how a certain vehicle may look alike or any other companies? The fact is Apple doesn't like competition and someone made a compete-able tablet so what's Apple do? They do what they do best and that's sue.
      The fact that they can't tell the difference doesn't prove that Apple legal arguments are correct.
      It only proves that Samsung's lawyers are morons.

      Unfortunately for Samsung, cases ultimately get decided on the merits of the arguers as much as the arguments very often
    1. duromega's Avatar
      duromega -
      I think all this ******* devices around are copying something from Apple
    1. chile7236's Avatar
      chile7236 -
      good thing i am not in the US....i can still get a galaxy tablet.
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      This whole thing is complete BS. Who the hell cares if you can't tell the difference 10 to 20 feet away. It runs a completely different OS/iOS and it's different hardware also. Do you see Ford/Chevy/Toyota crying about how a certain vehicle may look alike or any other companies? The fact is Apple doesn't like competition and someone made a compete-able tablet so what's Apple do? They do what they do best and that's sue.
      Ummm. Listing motor companies as a comparison does not support your argument. They spend millions protecting their designs. The fact is the lawyers made an epic fail with defending their case. A ton of companies go to court to defend their designs and product sales. This is huge news because everytime a company makes $$$$ people want a piece of the pie. Look at MS....
    1. Shreshaus's Avatar
      Shreshaus -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      This whole thing is complete BS. Who the hell cares if you can't tell the difference 10 to 20 feet away. It runs a completely different OS/iOS and it's different hardware also. Do you see Ford/Chevy/Toyota crying about how a certain vehicle may look alike or any other companies? The fact is Apple doesn't like competition and someone made a compete-able tablet so what's Apple do? They do what they do best and that's sue.

      Its because in the point that apple here was that the tablets look the same. Yes, I agree, it runs completely different OS and hardware, but that's not the point the judge was trying to make by the questions. The Judge was trying to see whether they look the same.

      The lawyers just confirmed that they look the same.
    1. Holyloktar's Avatar
      Holyloktar -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      This whole thing is complete BS. Who the hell cares if you can't tell the difference 10 to 20 feet away. It runs a completely different OS/iOS and it's different hardware also. Do you see Ford/Chevy/Toyota crying about how a certain vehicle may look alike or any other companies? The fact is Apple doesn't like competition and someone made a compete-able tablet so what's Apple do? They do what they do best and that's sue.
      Completely agree! The Toyota Corolla and the Geo Prizm, at least the '96 model are the exact same car with different emblems. Has the same engine, body and right down to the dashboard buttons and knobs!!! If Apple wants to legitimately dominate, without being the sue-happy morons they are, they need to start out-designing them and stop suing them. A tablet can only really have one shape: rectangular. Just like an LCD monitor, they're all widescreen (rectangular) now, regardless of brand.

      Apple needs to get off their high horses and throw their own money toward superior designs instead of INCREDIBLY generalized patents and frivolous lawsuits.

      However, the lawyer looks like a complete moron not being able to identify their own product. Shame on them and shame on Samsung for hiring them!
    1. emerica6708's Avatar
      emerica6708 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Holyloktar View Post
      Completely agree! The Toyota Corolla and the Geo Prizm, at least the '96 model are the exact same car with different emblems. Has the same engine, body and right down to the dashboard buttons and knobs!!! If Apple wants to legitimately dominate, without being the sue-happy morons they are, they need to start out-designing them and stop suing them. A tablet can only really have one shape: rectangular. Just like an LCD monitor, they're all widescreen (rectangular) now, regardless of brand.

      Apple needs to get off their high horses and throw their own money toward superior designs instead of INCREDIBLY generalized patents and frivolous lawsuits.

      However, the lawyer looks like a complete moron not being able to identify their own product. Shame on them and shame on Samsung for hiring them!
      Bad example, Geo and Chevy are the same company with different names, chevy and toyota worked together to design the prizm/corolla, that's why they look the same. I still agree with you though, there's not a whole lot of shapes a tablet can be.
    1. spazturtle's Avatar
      spazturtle -
      This is the picture of a device samsumg sold during 2006.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Dumb lawyer, smart none techy lawyer that do not use tablets would ask it to be turned on. And when asked why, argument is nobody buys a tablet to be left off. So if she need to be tested, it should be done at actual usage. Seeing the screen on with home screen, one would be able to tell.
    1. TheReliq's Avatar
      TheReliq -
      This is absolutely ridiculous. There's only so much you can do with a slab, slate, tab, or pad. They're designed that way for a reason... to be portable, light-weight, and THIN to consumers. So does this mean my next Samsung led tv is gonna be triangular? What about my refrigerator, commercial printer, or even a CAT/MRI, X-Ray machine? Are they gonna be hexagon shaped?? So what if they're both black. Do you seriously wanna be watching Transformers 3 with an olive drab canvas around your screen? I am quite content with the way my G Tab and my iPad looks... I just tend to utilize the Tab more because it actually DOES support flash. Perhaps that's exactly why Apple is desperately trying to abolish the competition. It's obvious they are still trying to be the Adolf of the 21st century. Seriously childish.
    1. arttext's Avatar
      arttext -
      As always is the proof of the pudding the eating.
      I first had a Galaxy 10.1 tablet, mainly because of it's flash capabilities. But when using it I discovered three major deal breakers (apart from only 16GB, but I knew that from the start): No Skype video, very limited to none movie play capabilities and a disappointing amount of propriety tab apps. So I returned it and got my IPad2 64 GB and Skype video every day, so long as the others don't have facetime. And I play happily all kinds of movies with Xplay, including external subs! One thing though I havevbe grateful to Samsung for: I learned that I don't have much use for 3G on a tablet. So my iPad is wifi only. And with Puffin I still can see Flash sites, albeit slow and stuttering.
    1. drkgremlin's Avatar
      drkgremlin -
      If this doesnt get samsung blocked i dont know what will
    1. kev4fun's Avatar
      kev4fun -
      Haha, that tell you something about Samsung ... cant even hire the right lawyer and you trust their product?????