• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Redsn0w 0.9.9b5 Released - Mac Only For Now


    Just a few minutes ago, the redsn0w testers (@redsn0w_testers) Twitter account tweeted out that the iPhone Dev-Team released an update for redsn0w (bringing it to redsn0w 0.9.9b5). The primary goal behind this release was to update redsn0w with the new public URLS for IPSW files. Basically, this allows first-time iOS 5 jailbreakers to not have to supply an IPSW file to jailbreak on iOS 5.



    On the iPhone Dev-Team Blog, there was also mention that a little bit of functionality from PwnageTool was added to this release. In the Extras section in redsn0w, you can choose an option called "Custom IPSW" which will build an IPSW file without the baseband for 4.3.3 or iOS 5 GM (for iPhone 3GS and 4 only at this point). The team plans on updating PwnageTool for iOS 5 when an untethered jailbreak comes out.

    Here is the full update on what is new and important with redsn0w 0.9.9b5 (READ CAREFULLY. THE WARNINGS ARE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT):

    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone Dev-Team Blog;
    Update #13: With today’s official iOS5 release, redsn0w has been updated to 0.9.9b5 to include the public URLs for the IPSW files. This way, first-time iOS5 jailbreakers don’t need to supply the IPSW file manually. It’s still a tethered jailbreak on all except the old-bootrom iPhone3GS, and it doesn’t apply to iPad2 or the upcoming iPhone4S.

    Because the jailbreak is currently only tethered for most devices, we’re not going to release a new PwnageTool yet. Instead, we’ve decided to build some of PwnageTool’s functionality into redsn0w (since you need redsn0w to “Just boot tethered” on every power cycle anyway). The new “Custom IPSW” button on the Extras screen will create a custom IPSW without the baseband update for 4.3.3 or 5.0gm (iPhone3GS and iPhone4 only, for now). Remember not to accidentally restore to the stock IPSW after you create the custom one! The custom one begins with NO_BB_ (for “no baseband”).

    You must enter “Pwned DFU” mode before trying to use the NO_BB_ IPSW with iTunes (and your hosts file cannot be pointing to Cydia’s servers due to the new blob nonce mechanism they’re using in iOS5).

    Version 0.9.9b5 is currently only available for Mac, until we can do more testing on the Windows version of “Custom IPSW”.

    We’re currently working on a normal compatibility update for current ultrasn0w unlockers. After that we’ll try to fix the iBooks issue on jailbroken iOS5.
    As mentioned in the title as well as the body of Update #13, this version of redsn0w is for Mac users only until more testing on Windows is done.

    Download the new redsn0w 0.9.9b5 beta for Mac right here:

    redsn0w 0.9.9b5 for Mac

    Reminders:

    • Redsn0w is still a tethered jailbreak except for iPhone 3GS old bootrom users. Otherwise, there is no untethered jailbreak at this time.
    • You cannot jailbreak your iPad 2 on iOS 5 at this time



    Source(s): redsn0w Testers, iPhone Dev-Team Blog
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Redsn0w 0.9.9b5 Released - Mac Only For Now started by Joshua Tucker View original post
    Comments 94 Comments
    1. FrankJones's Avatar
      FrankJones -
      Quote Originally Posted by *-*hihihehe*-* View Post
      Tethered or Untethered JB?
      Really? I mean really?

      To save you the trouble to actually reading....it's tethered.
    1. tosbsas's Avatar
      tosbsas -
      what is that ibooks bug people are talking about?
    1. tektalk2day's Avatar
      tektalk2day -
      When will it be released for windows
    1. AAred's Avatar
      AAred -
      Quote Originally Posted by toawkanavngthded View Post
      damn im so tempted to do this... must... wait... for... untethered....
      My feelings exactly, I wish there was a like button...
    1. PReCioSa's Avatar
      PReCioSa -
      i am tempted........
    1. moneygoddy2johar's Avatar
      moneygoddy2johar -
      hey guys i bought second hand iphone 4 and it was working fine and by mistake i updated it to 5.0 on itune without sim . my iphone supports gevey sim , and i liv in india now the problem is that after updating my iphone whenever i use to insert sim i got error sim card is not supported also same error in itune , and when i start my mobile then there setup begins like selecting language and country after that it sticked to wifi settings and i ignore it and the second option i get is connect to itunes .. but itunes doesnot support my any sim . so please guys suggest me what should i do now ?? should i use redsnow and install cydia via firmware ??? please reply me asap . thanks
    1. keenpois0n's Avatar
      keenpois0n -
      you screwed yourself mate
    1. masood1369's Avatar
      masood1369 -
      I have a iPhone 3 gs with firmware 05.14.05 and i updated to ios 5.0 from ios 4.0 (long time isince an update0. I followed all the steps to jail break it and yes it is a tethered one. Now when i see it shows no service for my sim. any kinda help would be really appreciating.
    1. jay2712's Avatar
      jay2712 -
      Issue with the jailbreak. Cydia icon not showing up at all. I checked all the pages, spotlight, nothing. Theres no loader icon either. iPhone 4, iOS5, redsnow 0.9.9b7
    1. PoEtikly's Avatar
      PoEtikly -
      Quote Originally Posted by jay2712 View Post
      Issue with the jailbreak. Cydia icon not showing up at all. I checked all the pages, spotlight, nothing. Theres no loader icon either. iPhone 4, iOS5, redsnow 0.9.9b7
      Look at the name of the thread and then look at the version of redsn0w
      that you're using. Try using 0.9.9b5. There will not be a loader like GP. It will just have the cydia icon. Right after you do the JB your cydia icon will more than likely be all white and crash when you try to launch it. TETHER BOOT the phone and that will be fixed. Make sure you download the correct OS version. If youre on windows get the windows download. That could be your problem also. I'm not familiar with b7 and I could be wrong bit I think it may only be for Mac or something like that.
    1. pawan.bishnoi's Avatar
      pawan.bishnoi -
      Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post


      Just a few minutes ago, the redsn0w testers (@redsn0w_testers) Twitter account tweeted out that the iPhone Dev-Team released an update for redsn0w (bringing it to redsn0w 0.9.9b5). The primary goal behind this release was to update redsn0w with the new public URLS for IPSW files. Basically, this allows first-time iOS 5 jailbreakers to not have to supply an IPSW file to jailbreak on iOS 5.



      On the iPhone Dev-Team Blog, there was also mention that a little bit of functionality from PwnageTool was added to this release. In the Extras section in redsn0w, you can choose an option called "Custom IPSW" which will build an IPSW file without the baseband for 4.3.3 or iOS 5 GM (for iPhone 3GS and 4 only at this point). The team plans on updating PwnageTool for iOS 5 when an untethered jailbreak comes out.

      Here is the full update on what is new and important with redsn0w 0.9.9b5 (READ CAREFULLY. THE WARNINGS ARE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT):



      As mentioned in the title as well as the body of Update #13, this version of redsn0w is for Mac users only until more testing on Windows is done.

      Download the new redsn0w 0.9.9b5 beta for Mac right here:

      redsn0w 0.9.9b5 for Mac

      Reminders:

      • Redsn0w is still a tethered jailbreak except for iPhone 3GS old bootrom users. Otherwise, there is no untethered jailbreak at this time.
      • You cannot jailbreak your iPad 2 on iOS 5 at this time



      Source(s): redsn0w Testers, iPhone Dev-Team Blog
      Which Bootrom is considered as "Old Bootrom".. I want to Jailbreak and Unlock my iphone 3GS 4.2.1 with baseband version 06.15.00.. possible to have a untethered unlock on this one ??

      Quote Originally Posted by TurboPunk View Post
      So I could actually do an untethered JB + unlock on my 3GS if my bootrom is old enough?!
      What version would that be?
      Hi Turbo Punk.. did you find out which version of bootrom is it?
    1. AAred's Avatar
      AAred -
      Quote Originally Posted by moneygoddy2johar View Post
      hey guys i bought second hand iphone 4 and it was working fine and by mistake i updated it to 5.0 on itune without sim . my iphone supports gevey sim , and i liv in india now the problem is that after updating my iphone whenever i use to insert sim i got error sim card is not supported also same error in itune , and when i start my mobile then there setup begins like selecting language and country after that it sticked to wifi settings and i ignore it and the second option i get is connect to itunes .. but itunes doesnot support my any sim . so please guys suggest me what should i do now ?? should i use redsnow and install cydia via firmware ??? please reply me asap . thanks
      compatibility with gaveysim on ios5 is limited, some people got it to work, while it messed up other phones. your mistake was updating to ios5, you'll have to wait for some new hacks from the dev team.

      Quote Originally Posted by masood1369 View Post
      I have a iPhone 3 gs with firmware 05.14.05 and i updated to ios 5.0 from ios 4.0 (long time isince an update0. I followed all the steps to jail break it and yes it is a tethered one. Now when i see it shows no service for my sim. any kinda help would be really appreciating.
      there is an ultrasn0w fix, but depending on your baseband version, you may have to change it to the iPad 6.15.00 baseband for it to work
    1. Syafiq Pent's Avatar
      Syafiq Pent -
      i'm using iphone 4..i just upgrade to ios 5..but when i reboot or switch off my iphone..cydia wont function..n i just have to BOOT it using redsn0w 0.9.9b7...more problem here is after 2 weeks using ios 5..when i download some stuff from cydia my apps suddenly not working like FACEBOOK, TWITTER,MESSAGE...when i click on one of this icon, my ipnone just respring and then it will be on safe mode and i have to restart it...n when i click again the problem are just the same, until NOW..how to solve it..pllzzz help me...ASAP...thanks..!!
    1. doitchinkstyle's Avatar
      doitchinkstyle -
      would i be alright using this if i am currently out of the country and have no access to a at&t sim for activation?