• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone 4S Processor is Throttled

    Tech reports seem to point to the fact that the iPhone 4S has a throttled processor like the iPhone 4.

    The dual core A5 chip in the iPhone 4S is the most powerful iPhone processor yet. It even blows every other mobile phone out of the water in benchmarks. The power of this phone is absolutely astounding and it even competes with some of the highest performance tablets in speed.

    The A5 processor is currently found in two of Apple's devices, the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S. The iPod Touch does not have it yet; it remains at an A4 level processor. However, would you believe me if I said that the iPhone 4S had a throttled processor? It appears so. Geekbench, a popular benchmarking program for machines shows that the iPhone 4S indeed runs an 800Mhz A5 processor. The iPad 2 runs a 1Ghz A5 processor.



    Although the A5 processor is throttled to 800Mhz, it still holds water in what Apple said, "It's up to 2x faster than the iPhone 4." Shown by the Geekbench benchmark test above, the iPhone 4S is way above the iPhone 4 however is slightly lower than the iPad 2. Of course, it really wouldn't make too much sense for Apple to make a mobile phone as powerful as their golden tablet, would it? That being said, don't count out the A5 processor just yet. Let's compare it to some of its competition.



    The iPhone 4S, without a doubt, blows every mobile phone out of the water in performance. It's almost as powerful as Apple's market-leading tablet. The graphics power of the dual core A5 chip is absolutely unmatched by any phone out there as of late. According to Apple, the iPhone 4 has 7x slower graphics rendering than the iPhone 4S. They may have been very liberal on those numbers because according to the benchmark tests, the iPhone 4S has 8x faster graphics instead of 7x.

    If I were you, I wouldn't let the throttle get in the way of my decision. The power is still unmatched by a long shot. Most of it probably has to do with battery life.

    Some iPhone 4S's are already being obtained in Europe. What do you think about the dual core A5 processor? Share below!

    Sources: Anandtech
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone 4S Processor is Throttled started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 70 Comments
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Pretty amazing it's 400mhz slower than the Galaxy, yet can compute nearly twice as much.
    1. ChSchuldiner's Avatar
      ChSchuldiner -
      Quote Originally Posted by bunnywhi7e View Post
      I have overclocked htc sensation running smoothly @ 1.8ghz. Quadrant benchmark gives me close to 7000. It also runs very stable without any hiccups. iPhone is losing battle to Android plain and simple. My phone would CRUSH iphone 4S speed wise. My friend has Samsung Galaxy S2 overclocked to 2.0ghz STABLE custom rom gets close to 10.000 on quadrant benchmark. Nexus Prime 720p HD will destroy anything that Apple releases even iPhone 7. Sorry but thats life.

      Also HTC Amaze 4G was overclocked to 2.2ghz with quadrant of 13.000. What do you say about that Apple. #FAIL
      Not too sure how that's a loss for Apple, since you had to do it yourself. I'm sure anyone who was that adamant on overclocking a phone could indeed overclock the iPhone. So to me, Android is still a failure operating system.
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      I curious if those over clocked phones get more than 6 hours of battery life lol. How many of those phones sold in the first 24 hours... A dismal failure compared to any iPhone launch. Apple doesn't market to the people that want to over clock and supermod their devices... They sell to the other 99% and #win.
    1. Tomcat50's Avatar
      Tomcat50 -
      Yet another fandroid only going off clock speeds. By the way how is the battery life on your phone. Must struggle to do a day ...
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Clock speeds aren't necessarily important. A 2Ghz i7 processor will be faster than a 3.2Ghz i5 processor. Due to the charts, it's simple. Apple makes the better processor.
    1. yohu123's Avatar
      yohu123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
      Regarding the second test anything above 60 is superfluous as screens won't be able to display any higher.
      It would matter when airplay mirroring is involved.

      Those high graphics specs of the iPhone 4S will make the games look awesome and equivalent to Xbox 360 graphics, on an HD TV.
    1. hoekapika's Avatar
      hoekapika -
      How much ram does the a5 have
    1. Pepsolman's Avatar
      Pepsolman -
      Yep. Sometimes it's best not to show off your guns. Might hurt somebody's feelings.
    1. NegativeBeef's Avatar
      NegativeBeef -
      To be fair this is comparing the new iOS with a last-gen Android OS. The new Android OS isn't even out yet.
    1. Moreno53's Avatar
      Moreno53 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bunnywhi7e View Post
      I have overclocked htc sensation running smoothly @ 1.8ghz. Quadrant benchmark gives me close to 7000. It also runs very stable without any hiccups. iPhone is losing battle to Android plain and simple. My phone would CRUSH iphone 4S speed wise. My friend has Samsung Galaxy S2 overclocked to 2.0ghz STABLE custom rom gets close to 10.000 on quadrant benchmark. Nexus Prime 720p HD will destroy anything that Apple releases even iPhone 7. Sorry but thats life.

      Also HTC Amaze 4G was overclocked to 2.2ghz with quadrant of 13.000. What do you say about that Apple. #FAIL

      Oh yeah well my brother's, aunt's, cousin's, mothers's, boyfriend clocked her iPhone 4s to 5.0 GHZ running smoothly with 15 hours batter talk time....LMAO GTFOH.
    1. bunnywhi7e's Avatar
      bunnywhi7e -
      hahaha, bunch of mad iPhone/iOs fans here I see. After all its an iPhone/Apple based website so I wouldn't expect anything less. Silly Apple fan boys would do anything just to have their new beloved beautiful iPhone LMFAO.

      I was an iPhone fan but decided to try Android route and I'm glad I did and I'm NEVER coming back. IPhone is not a PERFORMANCE phone for elite users its rather used for general crowd that are clusmy and don't know how to work things. My grandmother of course would prefer iPhone because of its use simplicity and "beautiful look".

      While you always wait for a new unlock, new jailbreak I don't have to wait for nothing. iOS UI is same boring ****. Try having widgets, or custom ROMS. Yeah right.

      Apple knows that iPhone is losing this battle now. LEGITIMATE charts show Android is taking over. People are starting to realise that iPhone is not what it used to be and are switching over day by day.

      I'm very happy to see iPhone 4S Just introducing a dual core processor (I've had it for more than 9 months). Also happy for 1080p recording (also had.it for 9 months).

      I want an apple fan boy test his 4S againts my Sensation in any BENCHMARK...lets do it?

      If you enjoy a phone with restrictions, same crappy boring US, don't care about mods, and care about phone beauty like a girl does than iPhone is for you.

      And to a troll who said iPhone always breaks Android in launch dates. It could be true because most of your audience is teenagers or women not real users.

      And for other trolls who keep mentioning Battery life on overclocked phones I suggest go learn Linux and proper overclocking methods. My battery runs just fine, little less than in its original No OC state.

      And Sensation screen is also bigger than iPhone and I cannot see any PIXELS must be the retina display LMFAO.

      This is not a war android vs iOS. This is just to shut up delisional little fan boys who can't accept the defeat.

      Like I said anyone wwith 4S wanna go toe to toe with my HTC Sensation and whoever wins gets eachothers phone #gotballz?
    1. SharpieBandit's Avatar
      SharpieBandit -
      Quote Originally Posted by bunnywhi7e View Post
      And for other trolls who keep mentioning Battery life on overclocked phones I suggest go learn Linux and proper overclocking methods. My battery runs just fine, little less than in its original No OC state.
      Says he can overclock phone and makes the battery last "little less" than original? Because conjuring more juice out of the battery without using more battery power is totally possible.

      Come on guys. Stop feeding him.
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      lol @ only girls and teenagers like iPhones. Right.....I am pretty tech savvy and I love my iPhone 4 and iOS. Efff Android, if you like Android go to an Android forum. Stop trolling.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      I don't think many people are switching from iOS to Android. Latest figures I saw had both gaining market share (Android was number 1 which is to be expected given the amount of Android phones out there) at the expense of RIM.
      Take any one Android phone and compare it's selling numbers against the iPhone and you will see a much different story in terms of market share.

      As for who has the higher specs, at the end of the day does it really matter? I have a iPhone 4 and a Samsung galaxy S2. Both are great but Android is just too "clunky" to get around and get stuff done. I could never switch fully to an Android, but it is nice to have both
    1. bunnywhi7e's Avatar
      bunnywhi7e -
      @ Simon, your a lamer brah. If you know anything about Android and new Android Phones you would know they don't have any lag especially Sensation and ESPECIALLY LG2X(which has the best processor by the way) and Sammy Galaxy S2. Stop lying like anyway idiot. Take a pic of your SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 and put my username next to it and upload it here. I know FOR A FACT you don't have the phone. Upload a picture and I will leave ModMyI forever.

      Calling you out right now brother. You have nothing to lose except write my username on a piece of paper and put it next to your Sammy you clown.

      Since I knoe you don't know Samsung Galaxy 2 S phone I suggest you do some research about stock Android, custom ROMs and overclocking. Samsung ABSOLUTELY destroys i4S in EVERY SINGLE aspect.

      And if you read my post troll, you'll see the reason why iPhone sells much. Iphone is a pretty flashy phone. That's about it.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Been real nice chatting with ya. Have a nice life
    1. jrl_1644's Avatar
      jrl_1644 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
      This is gonna hurt a lot of Fandroid's feelings...lol!
      Probably about as hurt as you were when they had the option to purchase any of the phones on the benchmark list while you were stuck with an iphone4 (bottom if list). Really Android user cant envy something even apple fanboys dont have yet ;-)
      Apple did an amazing job on the processor plain and simple. But saying your phone is any better than something else is like one of those guys driving an old a** chevrolet caprice on 28" rims, pointing at my lexus and saying it sux because it only has 18" chrome.
    1. jrl_1644's Avatar
      jrl_1644 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Been real nice chatting with ya. Have a nice life
      Lol, now that might hurt some feelings! Great reply funny as all hell.
      Seriously though my favorite color is way better than anybody elses. And if you think your favorite ice cream is superior than mine, you had better think again.
    1. thetoothfairy's Avatar
      thetoothfairy -
      Quote Originally Posted by bunnywhi7e View Post
      @ Simon, your a lamer brah. If you know anything about Android and new Android Phones you would know they don't have any lag especially Sensation and ESPECIALLY LG2X(which has the best processor by the way) and Sammy Galaxy S2. Stop lying like anyway idiot. Take a pic of your SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 and put my username next to it and upload it here. I know FOR A FACT you don't have the phone. Upload a picture and I will leave ModMyI forever.

      Calling you out right now brother. You have nothing to lose except write my username on a piece of paper and put it next to your Sammy you clown.

      Since I knoe you don't know Samsung Galaxy 2 S phone I suggest you do some research about stock Android, custom ROMs and overclocking. Samsung ABSOLUTELY destroys i4S in EVERY SINGLE aspect.

      And if you read my post troll, you'll see the reason why iPhone sells much. Iphone is a pretty flashy phone. That's about it.
      I don't know where your wording came from however I am more than positive that you could have used much better words. Also I don't feel it is kind to call mods or members names. Simon has showed you he indeed has the phone and I think you owe him a apology.

      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Been real nice chatting with ya. Have a nice life
      OMG Love it! bunnywhi7e looks like Simon did a GREAT JOB providing the information you requested! You will look respectful by saying your sorry and also you also owe him a thank you as well as far as I see it now.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      I luckily sold my iPhone 4 for pretty much the exact same price that i'll pay for the iPhone 4S. I sincerely hope this phone does not disappoint me. By the sound of it it would seem not.....but i heard that about the iPhone 4 as well....and that was somewhat of a letdown. We will see on Friday.