• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Windows Phone Is The Answer To iOS Monotony and Android's Chaos - Andy Lees


    The President of Microsoft’s Windows Phone division, Andy Lees, truly believes that Microsoft’s new mobile operating system, Windows Phone 7.5 Mango, is the answer to the problems that Android and iOS are facing.

    Microsoft seems to be coming out on top where Apple and Google are failing according to Lees. He feels that Apple doesn’t offer options, leaving Apple being too monotonous. When it comes to all the areas where Apple has had success, he says the following: “I think, from an end user’s experience on the software, there’s a lot of interesting reviews written comparing us to iOS 5 and the amount that we’ve got done in 11 months — so some people (are) making comparisons of pace.” This does seem to be true as a variety of different Mango reviews on the web have proclaimed that Mango brings back what previous iterations of Windows platforms left out. Being someone who has a backup Windows Phone running on Mango, I do feel that Microsoft really brought things up to pace with iOS but it still isn’t quite there.

    As far as Android goes, Lees feels that the Android platform is chaotic and the consistency of the Windows Phone is the answer to the issue. “We want to enable OEMs (original equipment manufacturers), we want to enable operators, but we don’t want chaos.” He goes on to say that some Android phones feel great while others don’t. The whole situation with Android leaves users with random feelings and he feels that Windows Phones will offer “much more coherency in the totality of what somebody gets when they buy our phone.”

    It was noted that Windows Phone coverage is expected with a wide range of price points for this holiday season including some below the $100 point. 4G Windows Phones are also expected in the near future and furthermore analysts are predicting that by 2015, Windows Phones will eventually grab around 20% of the market share.

    Being someone who has tried all three platforms, I still feel that Apple’s iOS comes out on top right now and will continue to for quite some time. I totally can see the Windows Phone platform coming in as a close second given some time as the platform utilizes unique structure behind the OS. Android seems as if it takes too many ideas from the iOS platform and it isn’t as refined either leaving much to be desired. When it comes to Lees’ opinion on Android, I agree 100%. The responsiveness of the Windows Phone and the smoothness/elegance are all things to brag about but in terms of features and convenience, the platform is still far from being close to the iOS platform. Maybe in time things will change but one can imagine Apple to still be holding its lead.

    If you are interested in reading the full interview with Andy Lees, hit the source link below.

    Do you agree with Lees? How do you feel about the three major smartphone platforms (Android, iOS, Windows Phone)? Let us know in the comments below!

    Source: The Seattle Times
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Windows Phone Is The Answer To iOS Monotony and Android's Chaos - Andy Lees started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Interesting...
      Apple has my heart and until I am wow'd by another operating system I will remain faithful. I will only cheat on if something looks and feels better. Innuendo
    1. Akshay Masand's Avatar
      Akshay Masand -
      Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
      Interesting...
      Apple has my heart and until I am wow'd by another operating system I will remain faithful. I will only cheat on if something looks and feels better. Innuendo
      Lol. At first Windows Phone Mango was great, it had a unique interface, a sleek design, very fluid controls, and overall just felt great. After some usage, I quickly realized it was lacking features and the ease of use (or lack thereof) began to wear me down. I started to miss the iOS platform and just permanently switched back.

      P.S I hope your gf never reads that comment.
    1. Just Dummy's Avatar
      Just Dummy -
      The problem with Windows and Android phones is that they don't have the same control of quality of the unit is is destined for. With Apple you get the whole package.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
      Lol. At first Windows Phone Mango was great, it had a unique interface, a sleek design, very fluid controls, and overall just felt great. After some usage, I quickly realized it was lacking features and the ease of use (or lack thereof) began to wear me down. I started to miss the iOS platform and just permanently switched back.

      P.S I hope your gf never reads that comment.
      Lol
      She just left...
      Nah I'm a faithful guy I just tend to like other 'operating systems.'
    1. ty22's Avatar
      ty22 -
      For me the answer is webOS. Dam I love that OS. I sure hope someone will pick it up from HP or they will do something good with it.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      You've gotta have standards, and you gotta stick to em, or you're a cheap floozy ho.

      Me: faithful to my hardware, until it breaks.
      software not so much, but that's a conversation I have with my hardware, on day 1.
    1. emerica6708's Avatar
      emerica6708 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
      For me the answer is webOS. Dam I love that OS. I sure hope someone will pick it up from HP or they will do something good with it.
      I messed with a webOS tablet in best buy a couple months ago, I loved it. I still like iOS a lot better but I could see webOS becoming a major mobile operating system if the right company picked it up, it was so much smoother and easier to use that Android.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      I like where this thread is going.
    1. Zach B.'s Avatar
      Zach B. -
      In my opinion being a user of all three platforms. I never really liked Android that much. I mean it's flashy and cool, but the performance just isn't that slick for what it says it is. The older Window phones weren't the best but I've used a newer one and they're very nice, just lacking something. Apple's got it down, they have performance and style.

      Also let's not forget about the jailbreak community!
      I know Android has their own rooting community, but it doesn't compare to Cydia.

      Apple > Windows > Android
    1. Cowboy's Avatar
      Cowboy -
      Mango is actually very nice the sad part is its a few years still behind. Windows was the last one to the app party. Windows has a bad rap when it comes to phones since the early stages of the os. I sell all 3 platforms every day. IPhone still being number 1 by far.
      I hate that people complain that it's so locked down. Yes it's locked down (unless jail broken) but do you know how many times a day I see someone with an android walk through the door with a problem? Tons reasoning is because unless the user is actually computer savy they load the thing with so many widgets and tweaks it runs slow locks up and battery life goes to nothing.

      As for jail breaking vs rooting communities now that carriers have to lift the side loading block off the there really isn't any point in my mind to root an android device.
    1. Stumbows's Avatar
      Stumbows -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zach B. View Post
      In my opinion being a user of all three platforms. I never really liked Android that much. I mean it's flashy and cool, but the performance just isn't that slick for what it says it is. The older Window phones weren't the best but I've used a newer one and they're very nice, just lacking something. Apple's got it down, they have performance and style.

      Also let's not forget about the jailbreak community!
      I know Android has their own rooting community, but it doesn't compare to Cydia.

      Apple > Windows > Android
      Yea not to mention that rooting an android phone is the most confusing 2.5 hours you will ever spend doing something and I'm an IT professional so shouldn't have any trouble messing with technical stuff. Jailbreaking is 10x easier and 30x if you go to jailbreakme.com.

      Getting back to performance my wife has a Desire HD which has more ram and faster processor than my i4 but with iOS you would think the i4 was the one with the superior hardware.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
      Mango is actually very nice the sad part is its a few years still behind. Windows was the last one to the app party. Windows has a bad rap when it comes to phones since the early stages of the os. I sell all 3 platforms every day. IPhone still being number 1 by far.
      I hate that people complain that it's so locked down. Yes it's locked down (unless jail broken) but do you know how many times a day I see someone with an android walk through the door with a problem? Tons reasoning is because unless the user is actually computer savy they load the thing with so many widgets and tweaks it runs slow locks up and battery life goes to nothing.

      As for jail breaking vs rooting communities now that carriers have to lift the side loading block off the there really isn't any point in my mind to root an android device.
      Paraphrased this means iOS is for the smartphone illiterate. That's what all app products achieve. They make the ignorant and boring feel intelligent and hip. Not knocking necessarily, just saying.
    1. Tomcat50's Avatar
      Tomcat50 -
      Apple > Android >>>>>>>>>> windows.
    1. Cowboy's Avatar
      Cowboy -
      No man your totally right.
      I have sold it to 5 years old the way up to people who take more pills than steps a day. Does it make it an illiterate os? No I don't think so, I think it is a great os because it cover such a diverse group of people.
      I mean what kind of phone can you have a fart machine on and epocrates all on the same phone? It covers all age groups and anyone can use it.
      Try give grandma an android- to complex
      Or a kid a windows phone- boring not enough fun stuff
    1. carlbgc's Avatar
      carlbgc -
      A month ago I sold my iPhone 4 and bought an SGS2.Well, I just sold the SGS2 and bought another iPhone 4.Android has a lot of features, but a jailbroken iPhone is just as powerful and a HELL of a lot slicker. Plus I missed the large range of accessories you can get for iPhones. Cant speak for Windows Phone, havnt tried it, but iOS wins for me at this stage.
    1. brab's Avatar
      brab -
      Quote Originally Posted by Stumbows View Post
      Yea not to mention that rooting an android phone is the most confusing 2.5 hours you will ever spend doing something and I'm an IT professional so shouldn't have any trouble messing with technical stuff. Jailbreaking is 10x easier and 30x if you go to jailbreakme.com.

      Getting back to performance my wife has a Desire HD which has more ram and faster processor than my i4 but with iOS you would think the i4 was the one with the superior hardware.
      That's #1 reason why I left iOS after 3 years and switched to Android last year and never looked back...
      It does take longer to root and do S-Off on everything in the beginning (not today anymore, there are plenty one click tools available), but you only have to do it ONCE for the lifetime of the device...
      And custom ROMs with new builds come out even before official ones do...

      On iOS the only thing you can do is pray...for instance I have iPad2 without saved 4.3.3 SHSH...I am always afraid something is going to happen to it and I will be screwed and not able to JB for months...on Android such pressure is not there at all, and I can use the device as I want...
    1. punjabi212's Avatar
      punjabi212 -
      I like Mangos.
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      iOS>Android>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Symbian>Windows PhoneSorry but Windows Phone is lacking even more features and the Metro UI gets boring after a bit.Android is lacking 3 things:- Smoothness, needs more quality apps and for Google to give us more native things in the OS like FindMyPhone etcWindows sucks all over.
    1. norfskate's Avatar
      norfskate -
      Windows phone?

      lol
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      iOS all the way for me! There are more tweaks, hacks, themes, and apps on Cydia than any 1 person could install on 1 device, its ridiculous, and its growing every single day! iOS 5 is gonna be sick, can't wait! I always hear Android users complain about their batter life. My iPhone 4's battery is pretty awesome and I dont even have to charge it everyday.