• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • JailbreakMe.com Back In Action


    Yesterday, ModMyi reported that JailbreakMe.com had been sold to an unknown buyer, possibly eliminating the use of it for jailbreaking purposes. MuscleNerd (@MuscleNerd) put out a warning saying that it could be potentially unsafe as no one knew who the buyer was. Today however, the tables have turned. According to a recent announcement by Jay Freeman (@saurik), the domain jailbreakme.com has now been transferred to him, giving him ownership.



    From what saurik mentioned in his recent tweets, the domain jailbreakme.com was actually sold way back in July. Nonetheless, the new owner is "very likable and awesome" and transferred the domain jailbreakme.com directly to him. And in saurik's own words:

    Originally Posted by saurik;:
    [So], going forward, we no longer need to worry!


    This is great news for the jailbreak community for a few reasons. Not only does the community get to to keep the infamous JailbreakMe domain (and all the history behind it) but we can still continue on using it for the future. After checking via my device's browser, all the functionality is back. So, if you're in need of jailbreaking with JailbreakMe, you can again! Once again, spread the word and let people know that JailbreakMe is back in action!

    If you get a chance, I urge you to send saurik on thank you whether on Twitter, Cydia's official Facebook page, or even IRC. It is well deserved.

    Source(s): saurik, Cydia - Facebook
    This article was originally published in forum thread: JailbreakMe.com Back In Action started by Joshua Tucker View original post
    Comments 34 Comments
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Awesome!
    1. lukeesslinger's Avatar
      lukeesslinger -
      Very cool... Love it! Now if we can only make all jailbreaks this easy... lol. I can dream, right?
    1. iphone565's Avatar
      iphone565 -
      This would be great news if comex didn't work for apple. Who's going to make the jailbreaks for jailbreakme.com anyway?
    1. zplit's Avatar
      zplit -
      Great news
    1. kickerman65's Avatar
      kickerman65 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iphone565 View Post
      This would be great news if comex didn't work for apple. Who's going to make the jailbreaks for jailbreakme.com anyway?
      Yes i agree. We are going to need some jailbreak magic from the talented @comex for the iPhone 4S. Too bad he is going to apple. More then likely we are going to have to go a while without a jailbreak for the 4S just like we did with the iPad 2. I mean after all thats basically all it is.
    1. seevic's Avatar
      seevic -
      that is awesome
    1. Venom1234's Avatar
      Venom1234 -
      With iOS 5 there really is no point of jail-breaking anymore.
    1. 2k1's Avatar
      2k1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Venom1234 View Post
      With iOS 5 there really is no point of jail-breaking anymore.
      And why do you say that
    1. MOJO5873's Avatar
      MOJO5873 -
      thank you....
    1. Barber01's Avatar
      Barber01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Venom1234 View Post
      With iOS 5 there really is no point of jail-breaking anymore.
      Are you serious?
    1. kickerman65's Avatar
      kickerman65 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Venom1234 View Post
      With iOS 5 there really is no point of jail-breaking anymore.
      I Think this comment qualifies for the hilarious comment of the day.
    1. Raeki's Avatar
      Raeki -
      Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
      Yes i agree. We are going to need some jailbreak magic from the talented @comex for the iPhone 4S. Too bad he is going to apple. More then likely we are going to have to go a while without a jailbreak for the 4S just like we did with the iPad 2. I mean after all thats basically all it is.
      Comex isn't the only talented jailbreaker.

      And as for the iOS 5 comment, with each update jail breaking seems to lose some purpose, but they'll always be things like dreamboard which are jailbreak only, and other things being developed all the time. Apple actually benefits from the jb community; it's free R and D
    1. The naomi's Avatar
      The naomi -
      Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
      I Think this comment qualifies for the hilarious comment of the day.
      Lol
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Venom1234 View Post
      With iOS 5 there really is no point of jail-breaking anymore.
      Winterboard, MyWi, My 3G, iReal or BiteSMS, SB Settings, Gridlock, Infinifolders, Infinidock, Bigify+, Ringtones, Multiflow, Activator, Callbar... ok i'm getting bored of telling you reasons why to jailbreak with iOS 5. I'll stop now.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by Barber01 View Post
      Are you serious?
      I'm sure he was serious.
      The same thing was said in all earnest after the release of

      4.0: because it added multitasking and BT stack, which were then considered the "killer app" of JB on 3.x firmwares.
      3.0: because it added [I forget what... but essentially things that duplicated JB functionality]
      2.0: because it added the AppStore. Before that, Jailbreaking was the only way to load new software onto an iPhone. Since 2.0 gave us an official way to load new software, JB was no longer relevant. Right?

      I predict: iOS 6.0 will continue to reduplicate jailbreak tweaks and mods in such way that nobody will want to JB anymore because there's no longer any point. (and 7.0 will, too!)

      ____________


      BTW,

      this article made me happy in my pants for reasons other than the obvious. There have been plenty of stories and rumors floating about over the past few years, pointing to the "dark side" of Saurik commercializing Cydia and making heaploads of cash off of it.

      This article on the other hand, demonstrates the hidden BENEFITS to the community, of Cydia becoming a profitable enterprise.
      1. Drudge sold off JBM.com. [sad face]
      2. [new buyer] kept quiet for awhile, then started to trollor
      3. jb community people freaked out, and made lots of [sad face]
      4. saurik gave [new buyer] lots of money
      5. [new buyer] gave JBM back to Saurik[happy face]

      #4 and #5 would never have happened unless Saurik (or someone) had the money to throw.
      So yeah. I guess Saurik getting lots of $$$ isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      Winterboard, MyWi, My 3G, iReal or BiteSMS, SB Settings, Gridlock, Infinifolders, Infinidock, Bigify+, Ringtones, Multiflow, Activator, Callbar... ok i'm getting bored of telling you reasons why to jailbreak with iOS 5. I'll stop now.
      You are right but not all of these have been updated for IOS5, when they are updated then that would definitely give more incentive to jailbreak.



      Quote Originally Posted by Raeki View Post
      Comex isn't the only talented jailbreaker.

      And as for the iOS 5 comment, with each update jail breaking seems to lose some purpose, but they'll always be things like dreamboard which are jailbreak only, and other things being developed all the time. Apple actually benefits from the jb community; it's free R and D

      I wouldn't say it loses some purpose, just limits the the tweaks and hurts the dev if he charges. Like wifisync..PhotoAlbums+..Camerabuttons..etc;
    1. Joshua Tucker's Avatar
      Joshua Tucker -
      Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
      You are right but not all of these have been updated for IOS5,
      When they are all updated for IOS 5 then its a must to jailbreak. Winterboard is very broken and i wish that was updated.




      I wouldn't say it loses some purpose, just limits the the tweaks and hurts the dev if he charges. Like wifisync..PhotoAlbums+..Camerabuttons..etc;
      I can tell you for a fact on a couple of things:

      • iRealSMS and biteSMS are already iOS 5 compatible in beta. So, by the time iOS 5 releases, they should be locked and loaded
      • SBSettings already works on the iOS 5 beta now with the beta version (on BigBoss beta repo)
      • Activator will be fully compatible upon public iOS 5 release and works on the beta right now (partially)
      • Elias Limneos and I are working on finishing CallBar 1.0. CallBar is already partially compatible on iOS 5 as is, however there are a few bugs. We will be pushing out 1.0 (with tons of compatibility/bug fixes and new features) fairly soon - we're aiming for before the public release of iOS 5.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
      I can tell you for a fact on a couple of things:

      • iRealSMS and biteSMS are already iOS 5 compatible in beta. So, by the time iOS 5 releases, they should be locked and loaded
      • SBSettings already works on the iOS 5 beta now with the beta version (on BigBoss beta repo)
      • Activator will be fully compatible upon public iOS 5 release and works on the beta right now (partially)
      • Elias Limneos and I are working on finishing CallBar 1.0. CallBar is already partially compatible on iOS 5 as is, however there are a few bugs. We will be pushing out 1.0 (with tons of compatibility/bug fixes and new features) fairly soon - we're aiming for before the public release of iOS 5.
      Guess i should have looked a bit deeper into compatability.
      Thanks for the headsup Mr. Tuck
    1. Joshua Tucker's Avatar
      Joshua Tucker -
      Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
      Guess i should have looked a bit deeper into compatability.
      Thanks for the headsup Mr. Tuck
      You betcha, any time!
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      What's your twitter?? So i can @ you