• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Rejects Android-centric App for the App Store



    Danish firm Mediaprovider has announced that its new app - a digital magazine presentation of all things Android - has been rejected for inclusion in the App Store by the people at Apple. It's a peculiar development, especially since Apple hasn't enforced a blanket policy effectively banishing all competing brands, operating systems, and smartphone makers from acknowledgment in the App Store. For example, "Androidworld Reader" - an Android news application - has been available since April of this year.

    Incredibly, however, Brian Dixen of Mediaprovider says his rejected app - Android Magasinet - was shot down primarily because it focuses exclusively on Android content. In the past, Dixen hasn't encountered any barricade to the App Store, especially with his other approved creations - like iPhone Magasinet, which similarly deals with news and content exclusively about the iPhone. Understandably, Dixen appears to feel that Apple is being overtly hypocritical yet again in deciding which apps make the cut and which don't.

    "It's funny really because I don't think we would sell many magazines on Android through Apple App Store, but the question is where this is going," says Dixen, who didn't reveal the specifics of his Apple rejection letter, but evaluates the decision to be one made in light of the app's exclusive focus on one of Apple's biggest competitors.

    Media Watch
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Rejects Android-centric App for the App Store started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 28 Comments
    1. snowdweller's Avatar
      snowdweller -
      I'm sure McDonalds wound't let KFC or ANYONE for that matter advertise KFC material in a McDonalds store so why is this any different.
    1. Turb02's Avatar
      Turb02 -
      well DUH!
    1. MindGem's Avatar
      MindGem -
      Burn.
    1. Riviera's Avatar
      Riviera -
      Quote Originally Posted by snowdweller View Post
      I'm sure McDonalds wound't let KFC or ANYONE for that matter advertise KFC material in a McDonalds store so why is this any different.
      What he said.
      I don't get it why Brian Dixen is whining?



      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. 2006yamahaR6's Avatar
      2006yamahaR6 -
      Quote Originally Posted by snowdweller View Post
      I'm sure McDonalds wound't let KFC or ANYONE for that matter advertise KFC material in a McDonalds store so why is this any different.
      That example was irrelevant on every level, mcdonalds also doesn't let customers make burgers and such at home an attempt to sell said burgers at their restaurants either. In my understanding, the decision on apples part is not suppressing advertisement, it's rejecting any alternative idea. . . The situation in and of itself may not be considered severe, but if one looks at what can be extrapolated, one will see that it opens the door for apple to . . . For example- accept apps that promote republican Candidates But reject democrats perhaps because republicans are more friendly to big business while dems are traditionally more economically friendly to the "common man" in the middle class. If you see things from this perspective, their "ruling" on the above mentioned app carries a much more grave implication
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      He actually thought he could get the app into the store...lol! Moron...
    1. quidam_brujah's Avatar
      quidam_brujah -
      This would be like Amazon not allowing 'how to use an iPad' book to be used on a Kindle.
      A search of the Amazon 'Kindle Store' find 962 titles relating to 'iPad'.

      Lighten up, Apple.
    1. vruls's Avatar
      vruls -
      really apple, really? its a just an app about android, and if you were that confident about your OS and not consider android as a threat you would allow it in the appstore
    1. TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
      TheGrandFinale2001 -
      I guess that streak of not being rejected by Apple affected his common sense
    1. UiK's Avatar
      UiK -
      Let's remember Apple don't care about what their customers want.
    1. Nickaroni22's Avatar
      Nickaroni22 -
      This is a competition, so this shouldn't be a surprise. Who's gonna read about a droid on there idevice? Thats like Toyota putting Honda material in there cars.
    1. Wolftamer's Avatar
      Wolftamer -
      The AppStore is a private business....what the hell does he expect?
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      I think it's kinda odd that Apple didn't approve this either. Right now, I'm replying from the MMI app which is almost exclusively related to jailbreaking.....! Apples weird...
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by 2006yamahaR6 View Post
      That example was irrelevant on every level, mcdonalds also doesn't let customers make burgers and such at home an attempt to sell said burgers at their restaurants either. In my understanding, the decision on apples part is not suppressing advertisement, it's rejecting any alternative idea. . . The situation in and of itself may not be considered severe, but if one looks at what can be extrapolated, one will see that it opens the door for apple to . . . For example- accept apps that promote republican Candidates But reject democrats perhaps because republicans are more friendly to big business while dems are traditionally more economically friendly to the "common man" in the middle class. If you see things from this perspective, their "ruling" on the above mentioned app carries a much more grave implication
      Actually they're doing the exact opposite on their "Featured" page. Every two or three weeks they put up like three apps supporting the Democratic party and they never, ever have had a Republican based app featured. I see your point though, just saying the logic behind your D v. R getting supported by Apple is apparently completely off from reality.
    1. zachthecat's Avatar
      zachthecat -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      I think it's kinda odd that Apple didn't approve this either. Right now, I'm replying from the MMI app which is almost exclusively related to jailbreaking.....! Apples weird...
      I was thinking that as well. People are saying, "common sense, common sense" but, are we retarded for trying to get the modmyi app through to the App store. Even though Apple doesn't like us jailbreaking their devices.

      Seems a little monopolistic to be honest.
    1. Rokesomesmeefer's Avatar
      Rokesomesmeefer -
      Things like this are EXACTLY why Apple should NOT be the sole source of apps for iOS devices.
    1. Ginter's Avatar
      Ginter -
      lol why would he even try...
    1. EskimoRuler's Avatar
      EskimoRuler -
      Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
      This would be like Amazon not allowing 'how to use an iPad' book to be used on a Kindle.
      A search of the Amazon 'Kindle Store' find 962 titles relating to 'iPad'.

      Lighten up, Apple.
      This sounds more relevant, but iw old say if he wants to waste his time trying to get someone with an apple device to buy a subscription to an android mag then let him be
    1. coolguy742's Avatar
      coolguy742 -
      Quote Originally Posted by snowdweller View Post
      I'm sure McDonalds wound't let KFC or ANYONE for that matter advertise KFC material in a McDonalds store so why is this any different.
      I get your point, but ever since Apple publicly released a set of rules for inclusion in the app store, they are expected to give a reason for rejection that is in those rules. It's no different than whining that google voice got kicked a while back. BUT don't get me wrong I'm NOT defending Android (I kind of hate it) I'm just saying that if a rule applies to one, it ought to apply to ALL!

      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      I think it's kinda odd that Apple didn't approve this either. Right now, I'm replying from the MMI app which is almost exclusively related to jailbreaking.....! Apples weird...
      Really good point! never thought of that, and it is really weird that Apple allowed a forum that has a crapload of stuff about JB on it.
    1. cypherpunk's Avatar
      cypherpunk -
      With moves like this, Apple loses all credibility as a publisher. It's exactly for this reason that iBooks will NEVER replace Amazon as leader in the ebook market. Nobody is going to accept to use a publisher that does not objectively examine the content of potential publications, but rather subjectively evaluates them with regards to its stakes in markets completely unrelated to publishing.

      It would be like Amazon refusing to sell ebooks that discuss e-readers other than the Kindle; they'd lose credibility overnight. Thankfully, Amazon has the sense to see that when you run a publishing business, you should keep that side of your business entirely separate from the rest.