• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Breakdown of iPhone 4S: A Disappointing Analysis?


    Apple’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” media event is now over and many are left disappointed. The iPhone 4S was announced along with several iOS device refreshes and many were left unsatisfied. Apple revealed the price points for the new iPhone 4S (with contract) which consist of:

    • $199 – 16 GB
    • $299 – 32 GB
    • $399 – 64 GB

    The device will consist of both black and white models and will be available for pre-orders starting October 7th. As mentioned previously the iPhone 4S will have the following specs:

    • Dual Core A5 Processor.
    • Dual Core Graphics.
    • 8 Hour 3G Talk Time Battery.
    • 2x Faster Download Speed.
    • CDMA + GSM Radios.
    • 16, 32, 64GB Models.
    • 8 Megapixel Camera 3264x2448 Resolution, 5 Lens.
    • Backside Illuminated CMOS.
    • 1080p Video Recording.
    • Video Image Stabilization.
    • Temporal Noise Reduction.
    • Siri Voice.

    Although the hardware will be an improvement over the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S doesn’t seem to offer anything groundbreaking or exciting as anticipated. The specifications inform us some of what we expected including a faster CPU/GPU, longer lasting battery life, faster download speeds, dual-mode (CDMA + GSM), larger capacity (upto 64GB now), a better camera with camera features, and exclusively the Siri Assistant.

    Everyone already knew the new iPhone would have the A5 chip and the improved GPU performance was also expected. Apple spent quite a bit of time showcasing the improved graphics but honestly it seemed much like what the iPad 2 has been able to do since March but just on a smaller screen. The improved battery life is a slight upgrade, which is probably the least of what many people were looking forward to.

    The improved camera did seem to appeal to many with the fact that it now offers a quicker load time to the first shot (1.1 seconds), a quicker response shot to shot (0.5 seconds), and a higher quality image. The iPhone 4S will also support 1080P video recording as well,which is also going to appeal to many but all in all, a camera update was one that many expected. It isn’t a good enough reason to justify the purchase of the device.

    The Siri Personal Assistant is just about the only thing along with the expected hardware improvements that is exclusive to the iPhone 4S that impressed the public. Siri’s co-founder Norman Winarsky just yesterday mentioned that Siri’s Assistant would be a “world-changing” event and many see it being a huge leap forward. I can definitely see Siri becoming popular amongst many but I don’t know how many would agree that it is “world-changing."

    The WOW factor of the new iPhone was relatively low as much of this was expected from before. Many were anticipating some surprise throughout the keynote, but were left with nothing. As mentioned previously, the iPhone 4S essentially is a slightly upgraded (hardware-wise with the exception of Siri) iPhone 4. Even so though, there were many complaints that the iPhone 4S doesn’t have a larger screen (which was amongst the many rumors that were circulating before today’s announcement).

    Many are left disappointed as well due to a lack of 4G surprises at today’s Apple media event. The new iPhone is confirmed to not be compatible with either LTE or WiMax 4G wireless networking standards. The new iPhone will work on 3G networks including AT&T’s HSPA+ network, which the carrier has been advertising as “4G.” It won’t be compatible with AT&T’s recently launched LTE network nor Verizon’s already growing LTE network. It also won’t be compatible with Sprint’s nationwide WiMax 4G network, even though Sprint has reportedly made a commitment to sell over 25 million iPhones over the next few years.

    Although several Android-based smartphones have been released with support for the 4G networks, Apple has been quite reluctant to add to its popular iPhone. Despite rumors to the contrary, CEO Tim Cook repeatedly said that “LTE would force design compromises we’re not willing to make,” including increased size and decreased battery life.

    Some have already decided to jump the bandwagon and purchase an Android phone until the release of a true next-generation iPhone while others are caving in and still planning to purchase an iPhone 4S. With everything revealed, what are your thoughts? Are you going to be purchasing an iPhone 4S? If not, what are your plans?

    UPDATE: The folks over at CNET have created a very good comparison chart which can be found below:



    UPDATE: Stock traders are also very unhappy as Apple's stock plummets after the iPhone 4S announcement earlier today.

    P.S: I hope you didn't have the following response (some people probably did):



    Source: CNET
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Breakdown of iPhone 4S: A Disappointing Analysis? started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 127 Comments
    1. blwallace5's Avatar
      blwallace5 -
      For stock purpose I was hoping two phones would be released. But now is a good time to buy. I have a feeling all of the people complaining that this phone is not worth upgrading to wither buy all of their phones for full market retail without contract or have no idea how a subsidized phone contract works. Juding by most posts I am going to guess the latter.

      Quote Originally Posted by rschurmann View Post
      Well. Definitively not going for the 4s. I will stay with my 4. Disappointed, but on the other side, happy, as will save some money while I finish my current contract, and upgrade only once the 5 is available.
      Every month you wait past your upgrade month you lose money, not save it.

      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      HaHa Haaaaa !! ROFLMAO you fan boys waited 16 months for a flagship iPhone with last year's Android specs !!!! I never had plans to buy the next iPhone anyway so I'll keep my iPhone 4 and Im getting the Samsung Galaxy S II which is simply stunning !!!!
      Stunning as in similar specs to the iPhone 4s? If the 4s has last years tech, then so would the Galaxy S II.
    1. Just Dummy's Avatar
      Just Dummy -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      HaHa Haaaaa !! ROFLMAO you fan boys waited 16 months for a flagship iPhone with last year's Android specs !!!! I never had plans to buy the next iPhone anyway so I'll keep my iPhone 4 and Im getting the Samsung Galaxy S II which is simply stunning !!!!
      Then I guess this was your last post here.
    1. szr's Avatar
      szr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jupit3r View Post
      First off if they increase the size of the screen then it would create fragmentation because not every app is going to be formatted for a different screen size, and Apple doesn't like fragmentation.
      That's only if the aspect ratio is different. It should possible to have a slightly larger screen that runs at the same native resolution as the iPhone 4's display, just like how you have computer monitors that have the same native resolution but vary in physical size. I don't see why this couldn't apply to a mobile device like such as an iPhone.
    1. Bill1975's Avatar
      Bill1975 -
      Speaking for those of us that have a life outside of cell phones - I don't see why everyone is so pissy. The iPhone4 is what, a year old? What do you expect in the span of a year? I know technology moves fast these days, but judging by some of the comments here and in the media, people need to get a grip. It's like people have money burning a hole in their pocket and they're upset they don't have a reason to drop $200 - $300 on a phone in the span of a YEAR. It's still an improvement over the IP4. I'm sure they're working on the IP5, or whatever the next big thing is. Don't like it? Don't buy it! The amount of ******** and whining on this forum is off the charts.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bill1975 View Post
      Speaking for those of us that have a life outside of cell phones - I don't see why everyone is so pissy. The iPhone4 is what, a year old? What do you expect in the span of a year? I know technology moves fast these days, but judging by some of the comments here and in the media, people need to get a grip. It's like people have money burning a hole in their pocket and they're upset they don't have a reason to drop $200 - $300 on a phone in the span of a YEAR. It's still an improvement over the IP4. I'm sure they're working on the IP5, or whatever the next big thing is. Don't like it? Don't buy it! The amount of ******** and whining on this forum is off the charts.
      Why everyone is so pissy:
      we'd been holding it in for the last week,
      and really, really, really, really had to pee.
    1. back9player's Avatar
      back9player -
      apple and the 4S can go to H-E-double-hockey-sticks!
    1. Akshay Masand's Avatar
      Akshay Masand -
      Definitely seems like there is a mixed bag of opinions. I personally have two iPhone 4's and I'll be upgrading one line but preserving another. I think the announcement was underwhelming for many because of all the rumors and speculations that were circulating. The iPhone 4S does seem to be a worthy upgrade from the original iPhone 4 however. Some people in here did make some very compelling arguments though.
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by back9player View Post
      apple and the 4S can go to H-E-double-hockey-sticks!
      I'm sure Apple feels the same way about you!!


      For all of you ******** and moaning ffs get a life. IF you don't want the 4s then move on to another device that you think will fit your needs better. You all sound like a bunch of 3 year olds that didn't get what they wanted for Christmas! Grow the **** up and stop whining like little *******. I would of loved to have a bigger screen but I'm perfectly happy with my i4 and will be even more happy with a 4s. Plus I get an upgrade every year so I'll be getting the 5 or 6 (what ever they will call it). Plus I'm not a poor sap and also know how to budget my money so would be picking up the next phone no matter if I had an upgrade or not.

      For those of you calling this a minor speed bump.... pull your head out of your ***. The 4s is a quantum leap above the 4. Someone even broke it down (the difference between 3gs to 4 and 4 to 4s) and the 4s is better than the 4 in every aspect. PLUS all of you threatening to move to another device, please do, that way you won't have to post her crying like a baby about what Apple didn't give you. So move on NOW please..... go to your favorite droid phone's forum and whine about the new kick *** 4s on their forum and let THEM know your moving to phone X. They will be happy to tell you how ****** the 4s is/is going to be, even though it's just not gonna pan out to be true. It's not all about the specs little cry babies, it's about specs plus os integration which IMHO the iPhone pulls off in an awesome way. SO don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.
    1. Pinoy's Avatar
      Pinoy -
      Quote Originally Posted by pfp View Post
      I was ready to order an iphone 5 to replace my aging 3gs, but a 4s - I just don't know.
      This is just so funny to me. Your 3GS is a dinosaur even compared to the I4. Forget the 4S. If you were able and didn't make the leap from 3GS to I4 then you must not know how to read because just the increase in internal Ram alone would have motivated you to upgrade. The I4 is a Ferrari and the 3GS is a pinto. Silly Silly Silly!
    1. zipur's Avatar
      zipur -
      Please no one should buy the 4s... that will make the Iphone 5 release come sooner.
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by zipur View Post
      Please no one should buy the 4s... that will make the Iphone 5 release come sooner.

      Yeah, that's the way it works ...... 4s will be just as if not more popular that the 4.
    1. stive's Avatar
      stive -
      well i keep my gs2 until apple will go with a bigger screen...
    1. Just Dummy's Avatar
      Just Dummy -
      All of you clowns believed the rumors from China yet again lol. Be thankful for what you get or don't buy it. Apple isn't going to crumble because of our opinions.
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Looks like I'm gonna keep my i4 and buy a a new case and some screen protectors and some apps
    1. iTouch-Warrior's Avatar
      iTouch-Warrior -
      Quite frankly, I'm mega disappointed with Apple. 16 months and all they did was put an A5 processor (which exists since March in the market) and an 8MP camera (which most new Android phones are getting)?? Oh, and that Siri business is useless for me because I live in a Spanish-speaking country, and I'd look stupid talking in English to my phone while everyone looks at me asking: wtf is he doing?...
    1. Breezer23's Avatar
      Breezer23 -
      Nothing exciting. The screen is too small - I can't go back to that size of screen. The GPU is the only thing worth writing home about. Sadly, Apple has a lot of brainwashed customers that will buy it anyway. Android phones are widening the gap even further.
    1. Just Dummy's Avatar
      Just Dummy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Breezer23 View Post
      Nothing exciting. The screen is too small - I can't go back to that size of screen. The GPU is the only thing worth writing home about. Sadly, Apple has a lot of brainwashed customers that will buy it anyway. Android phones are widening the gap even further.
      Then go post in the Android forums and be happy.
    1. SwayProductions's Avatar
      SwayProductions -
      I've been using the iPhone since the 2G, and i had them all (fanboy)... i recently traded my white iPhone 4 for an Infuse 4G + $... I planned on using it until apple announced the new iPhone just to try out Android...After using the Infuse (1st Android device) for a little over a week, i can't go back to the iPhone, iOS just seems boring to me now... I feel like i can do anything on my Infuse, and the huge screen is a +, i love it.I'll be saving my upgrade for the Nexus Prime.
    1. Akshay Masand's Avatar
      Akshay Masand -
      Quote Originally Posted by SwayProductions View Post
      I've been using the iPhone since the 2G, and i had them all (fanboy)... i recently traded my white iPhone 4 for an Infuse 4G + $... I planned on using it until apple announced the new iPhone just to try out Android...After using the Infuse (1st Android device) for a little over a week, i can't go back to the iPhone, iOS just seems boring to me now... I feel like i can do anything on my Infuse, and the huge screen is a +, i love it.I'll be saving my upgrade for the Nexus Prime.
      There are certain little things that tend to bug me about the Android platform, such as the lack of text and email notifications during phone calls. The Android Market also seems to be a huge mess compared to the App Store.
    1. yentrog31's Avatar
      yentrog31 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
      I'm sure Apple feels the same way about you!!


      For all of you ******** and moaning ffs get a life. IF you don't want the 4s then move on to another device that you think will fit your needs better. You all sound like a bunch of 3 year olds that didn't get what they wanted for Christmas! Grow the **** up and stop whining like little *******. I would of loved to have a bigger screen but I'm perfectly happy with my i4 and will be even more happy with a 4s. Plus I get an upgrade every year so I'll be getting the 5 or 6 (what ever they will call it). Plus I'm not a poor sap and also know how to budget my money so would be picking up the next phone no matter if I had an upgrade or not.

      For those of you calling this a minor speed bump.... pull your head out of your ***. The 4s is a quantum leap above the 4. Someone even broke it down (the difference between 3gs to 4 and 4 to 4s) and the 4s is better than the 4 in every aspect. PLUS all of you threatening to move to another device, please do, that way you won't have to post her crying like a baby about what Apple didn't give you. So move on NOW please..... go to your favorite droid phone's forum and whine about the new kick *** 4s on their forum and let THEM know your moving to phone X. They will be happy to tell you how ****** the 4s is/is going to be, even though it's just not gonna pan out to be true. It's not all about the specs little cry babies, it's about specs plus os integration which IMHO the iPhone pulls off in an awesome way. SO don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.
      YOU do realize that you are doing the same thing.....whining.