• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • October 4th 2011 Apple "Let's Talk iPhone" Event Quasi-Live-Blog
    So we'll be covering today's event live with our quasi-live-blog or mash-up of all the live info and images right here in this post at 10:00 am PST. No refreshing needed to get all the event news as it happens . . . yes click the article link or "Read More" to see the live-blog

    Coveritlive died, enter the backup plan. SO to read the event, start out on coveritlive, then switch the the scribble live, and then it returns to the coveritlive. Sorry about that you guys kept crashing everything! I think we managed to cover it all however




    This article was originally published in forum thread: October 4th 2011 Apple iPhone Event Quasi Live-blog started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 183 Comments
    1. djkinetic's Avatar
      djkinetic -
      Quote Originally Posted by trancemode View Post
      If your "majority" use is not meant for gaming or entertainment apps than why buy an iPhone? Its actually one of the many reason why you should even consider getting an iphone. If you don't play games, it isn't worth getting.
      There are many other better phones with louder speakers, phone quality, camera than the iPhone.
      And since iPhone is still behind in 3G .. there are some phones already in the 4G.

      Unless you want to "get attention" or finally "want to fit into a crowd" who have basically no knowledge of technology and buy any apple product, get ripped off and be happy.

      So I'm assuming many people are just buying it cause its an "Apple" Product or for the "Apple" logo?
      Agreed, i bought the original iPhone, because it was truly innovative. I then continued to upgrade from the original, to 3g 3gs and then 4. All during this time Android manufacturers have been catching up and surpassing Apple with handsets that surpass the iPhone in features and specs. The one thing that Apple has going for them is the App Store of course. There are far more apps for iPhone then any other smart phone, and its really the only reason I've kept my 4. Personally I don't play games but I realize many people do. The iPhone is a smart phone that just happens to cater to people that love entertainment apps/gaming. There are other apps besides those. For people that use the iPhone for anything other then games/entertainment, i feel the update is quite underwhelming in comparison to what else is already out there or will be coming out. As said Siri is the killer app and i think Apple is betting on that along with the iPhone popularity. Yes Siri is pretty innovative, but it just doesnt seem enough to get me to upgrade from my original 4.
    1. PatrickGSR94's Avatar
      PatrickGSR94 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ZXMustang View Post
      Im disappointed to say the least. I really wanted a bigger screen.

      Now kids listen up. This is where you need to hold off if you already have the iphone 4 and wanted a new phone. If you dont hold off and get a 4S, you will be stuck like the 3Gs people are getting an interim model every two years. The 3Gs people, if they stuck to their contract, had to forgo the iphone 4 and now have to get the 4S. The same will happen with the iphone 5 really comes out next year and all those 4S people are going to be stuck again. I would stay away from this one if you are not in love with the iphone 4. The camera is awesome on the 4 already and so is video. Not to mention we are all getting the iOS 5 upgrade and its going to be like getting a new phone all over again. I say skip this phone and wait another year. Hell, maybe Apple will go back to their summer release. I say the S in 4S stands for skip.

      Sad day for apple lovers.
      You know, some of us prefer to have the "refreshed" improved version of the current design, and not deal with possible flaws of a brand new model. I mean look at the iPhone 4 fiasco with its numerous issues last summer. I'm so glad I didn't try to get an iP4 back then. I may try to get an 4S now, and then my next phone after that will be the improved version of the iPhone 5.

      With technology you either have the newest, best (and possibly most buggy) or you have a slightly older design, but more refined. Or you can just keep waiting forever on the next thing.
    1. ravelsnip's Avatar
      ravelsnip -
      Quote Originally Posted by ravelsnip View Post
      Can someone confirm if SIRI works on iphone4 after the upgrade?
      well i take that back, since I feel it won't work. I mean there won't be any point going for the 4S then. Apple would make sure of that.
    1. trancemode's Avatar
      trancemode -
      of course you can continue debating if you wish but ..

      Speed?
      There has been faster phones out there before iPhone 4s announcements. There are other phones with bigger screens, keyboards,
      And especially touchscreen been there.

      Apple products are primary aimed for consumers not businesses.
      And majority businesses I believe are either using android or windows due to the multitasking you don't really get on the iPhone. Sure there are business apps on the iPhone and sure there are on the androids too.
      If you look at the business market you don't see majority of them using apple iOS or apple comp do you?
      Of course not it's either pc or windows / linux

      Quote Originally Posted by Loxs View Post
      -----


      Right so corporations buy the iPhone to play games and watch movies... didn't think so. They buy it due to its ease of use and speed, I agree ill pass on this iphone for the first time ever since they arrived. Not excited not a big enough upgrade for me. The 3G to the 3GS was noticeable my iphone 4 is still quick on ios5 so i see no real need to splash 300 for a slightly faster iphone.
    1. ZXMustang's Avatar
      ZXMustang -
      Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
      You know, some of us prefer to have the "refreshed" improved version of the current design, and not deal with possible flaws of a brand new model. I mean look at the iPhone 4 fiasco with its numerous issues last summer. I'm so glad I didn't try to get an iP4 back then. I may try to get an 4S now, and then my next phone after that will be the improved version of the iPhone 5.

      With technology you either have the newest, best (and possibly most buggy) or you have a slightly older design, but more refined. Or you can just keep waiting forever on the next thing.
      I can agree with you, but I have a 4 that I got mid year and it was fine. None of the bugs. And since I have had it I realized that I want a bigger screen and was hoping that the next iphone would have that. But now it looks like apple is going to pattern with these refresh phones every other year. Maybe it was just too quick for them to come up with a next gen iphone.
    1. kadernal's Avatar
      kadernal -
      Quote Originally Posted by trancemode View Post
      This upgrade seems like it's mainly focused for:
      users who have 3G or 3GS to 4gs.
      Yea that's what I'm tHinking from this. But for someone like me who went 2g>3GS>ip4 this is so underwhelming.

      If the Siri thing is ip4s only I'll be bummed to miss that.
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
      Yeah I feel like you sir owe me an apology for contradicting me that a 64GB wouldn't be possible and I told you so
      You are absolutely right. I apologize and you told me so. It was actually a nice surprise though.
    1. luvmytj's Avatar
      luvmytj -
      What an utter disappointment. A real let down. The small screen is a deal breaker in my book. They should of redesigned the size to make it comparable to other smart phones. Only a 4S... what were they thinking?Guess I'll keep my 4 until Apple gets a bigger screen or something else better comes along. Who was that other company making Apple products... oh yeah, Samsung.
    1. djkinetic's Avatar
      djkinetic -
      Quote Originally Posted by trancemode View Post
      You would only see real benefits in games, multitasking, and also benchmark especially. Possible that opening apps could be a sec faster.
      Yup benchmarks are about the only thing u will notice thats faster with a dual core cpu then the single core on a iP4. Multitasking i think is impacted more by the amount of free system memory is available for use. Running the same apps at the same time on my iP4 as my Atrix theres a neglible difference in speed. That's why I say the speed increase and dual core in the iP4s won't be a tremendously noticeable difference in real world application. Apple really is betting on iPhone popularity and Siri to move these phones.
    1. kadernal's Avatar
      kadernal -
      I already have an iPad 2 and an ip4... Dont really need a hybrid
    1. djkinetic's Avatar
      djkinetic -
      Quote Originally Posted by kadernal View Post
      I already have an iPad 2 and an ip4... Dont really need a hybrid
      TROLOL best comment i've seen today..i agree with you as i have both as well.. well said sir
    1. eballesq's Avatar
      eballesq -
      I completely disagree with those who discount the potential speed difference in "normal" use of the phone between a 4 and a 4S. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2, and the difference in speed between the two is VERY noticeable. If I can get that speed in my iPhone, plus get an improved camera and Siri, that alone is worth the upgrade.

      No shiny new package or an additional 1/8" in screen size needed for this user.
    1. PatrickGSR94's Avatar
      PatrickGSR94 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
      No shiny new package or an additional 1/8" in screen size needed for this user.
      Ditto for me. All these phones with big@$$ screens and such have junk@$$ battery life. Apple has managed to increase processing power and yet also INCREASE battery life (so they claim).
    1. ravelsnip's Avatar
      ravelsnip -
      Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
      I completely disagree with those who discount the potential speed difference in "normal" use of the phone between a 4 and a 4S. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2, and the difference in speed between the two is VERY noticeable. If I can get that speed in my iPhone, plus get an improved camera and Siri, that alone is worth the upgrade.

      No shiny new package or an additional 1/8" in screen size needed for this user.
      And what makes u think the processor will be the same as that of the ipad2? even though it is a a5, it is a skimmed version of it.
    1. trancemode's Avatar
      trancemode -
      Quote Originally Posted by djkinetic View Post
      Yup benchmarks are about the only thing u will notice thats faster with a dual core cpu then the single core on a iP4. Multitasking i think is impacted more by the amount of free system memory is available for use. Running the same apps at the same time on my iP4 as my Atrix theres a neglible difference in speed. That's why I say the speed increase and dual core in the iP4s won't be a tremendously noticeable difference in real world application. Apple really is betting on iPhone popularity and Siri to move these phones.
      Well the iphone 4 only has 512mb rams ... and iphone 4s has 1GB..
      it might be a bit faster.
    1. jose060789's Avatar
      jose060789 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      You are absolutely right. I apologize and you told me so. It was actually a nice surprise though.
      It's cool bro, I was just joking around about it but anyways I am extremely disappointed at Apple for releasing the same phone but "slightly better". Apple has failed me this year and now I have to wait another year for them to release the actual "iPhone 5", by then my 32GB iPhone 4 will not have much value

      FML!!!
    1. mksm1234's Avatar
      mksm1234 -
      Those chinese manufacturers of the apparent 4" iphone 5 cases must be kicking themselves now!
    1. PatrickGSR94's Avatar
      PatrickGSR94 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ravelsnip View Post
      And what makes u think the processor will be the same as that of the ipad2? even though it is a a5, it is a skimmed version of it.
      What makes you say that? Oh yeah, another rumor seen on the interwebz.

      Seriously, until someone NOT affiliated with Apple gets an actual retail iPhone 4S and rips it apart and does a bunch of testing on it, we really don't know *FOR SURE* how much different or better it will be than the iPhone 4.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      You are absolutely right. I apologize and you told me so. It was actually a nice surprise though.
      Although he told you that's what he wanted no one could tell me how it could be done. I still have no idea - especially as the 4S now has CDMA and GSM.

      The one thing about MMi that disapponts me is the lack of technical information. I throw out information to the best of my knowledge and in the past, if I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

      In this case I stated known facts - no one could provide any details to contradict me.

      I was wrong - but no one could tell me why? Can anyone now?

      I stated known facts - what was unknown?

      How was I wrong and why were people so convinced I was? I have no problem learning but do object to being told I am a 'moron' with no evidence, or even reason, given as to how I am wrong.
    1. skiptowncat's Avatar
      skiptowncat -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      Although he told you that's what he wanted no one could tell me how it could be done. I still have no idea - especially as the 4S now has CDMA and GSM.

      The one thing about MMi that disapponts me is the lack of technical information. I throw out information to the best of my knowledge and in the past, if I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

      In this case I stated known facts - no one could provide any details to contradict me.

      I was wrong - but no one could tell me why? Can anyone now?

      I stated known facts - what was unknown?

      How was I wrong and why were people so convinced I was? I have no problem learning but do object to being told I am a 'moron' with no evidence, or even reason, given as to how I am wrong.
      It's because you're from stoke