• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Removes iPod Click Wheel Games Section in iTunes Store



    Rumors of Apple ending support for the iPod Classic—the device that started it all—have been swirling this week, and Apple lent more credence to the claims by removing access to the iPod Click Wheel Games section of the iTunes Store.

    Apple ended support for iPod Click Wheel Games sometime in 2009 and as a result no new games have appeared in the iTunes Store since then. However, despite the lack of support Apple still maintained their presence in the Click Wheel Games section of the iTunes Store. When the games disappeared from the iTunes store is still unclear. Reports surfaced nearly two weeks ago that they had gone missing, but the lack of demand and/or anyone caring prevented a huge uproar from taking over the Internet when they disappeared.

    Apple hasn’t officially acknowledged the rumors surrounding the iPod Classic’s demise and the closest thing to confirmation we’ve had is an email Steve Jobs sent to a customer asking if Apple any plans to discontinue the model. Jobs responded with a simple “no plans.” Those “no plans” appear to have turned into “some plans.”

    But, their implementation hasn’t been sweeping. Apple still advertises on their iPod Classic features page the ability to download and play click-wheel games via iTunes. If Apple is planning to update the iPod Classic, or discontinue it, the impatient public will likely find out Tuesday during Apple’s iPhone announcement. While the demise of the iPod Classic will be a blow for those of us who revel in nostalgia, the move makes sense. Large capacity media devices don’t fit in Apple’s business plan anymore, especially with iCloud on the horizon.

    Source: MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Removes iPod Click Wheel Games Section in iTunes Store started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      RIP iPod Classic. I might actually pick on up if the price drops to have it in the car with all my music.
    1. Pwnp27's Avatar
      Pwnp27 -
      I figured it would happen. I guess the 10th anniversary off the iPod was also it's last year.
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      I'm sad about this... I still have my old monochrome white 20gb... The classic is the iPod icon! I guess they want all iPods to have touch-screens...
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
      I'm sad about this... I still have my old monochrome white 20gb... The classic is the iPod icon! I guess they want all iPods to have touch-screens...
      What they want is old products to DIE so they can sell you new products.

      Since Steve re-invented Apple ~1997, consistency of image and "look" has been a deep mandate. The ugly duckling (rather, any duckling that looks "different") is always in danger of the axe. Its tough to reconcile this with customers' individual differing desires, but the Apple Way has usually been to force customers to "adapt or die!". I find it interesting that so many customers do adapt, instead of bailing for the competition....
    1. luvmytj's Avatar
      luvmytj -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      What they want is old products to DIE so they can sell you new products.

      Since Steve re-invented Apple ~1997, consistency of image and "look" has been a deep mandate. The ugly duckling (rather, any duckling that looks "different") is always in danger of the axe. Its tough to reconcile this with customers' individual differing desires, but the Apple Way has usually been to force customers to "adapt or die!". I find it interesting that so many customers do adapt, instead of bailing for the competition....
      It makes perfect business sense. If it is not selling well why keep it? If it worked in reverse we would still have Yugo dealerships!
      Most users adapt to the new form as the competition is too far behind to catch up, although they sure do try by mimicking Apple products.
    1. iPod's Avatar
      iPod -
      This happened awhile ago...however, if you had a link, you would be able to get them.
    1. hoekapika's Avatar
      hoekapika -
      Is there a way to get these games for my iPod nano 5g
    1. Lisa John's Avatar
      Lisa John -
      oh really. i didnt knew about it
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      It makes perfect business sense. If it is not selling well why keep it? If it worked in reverse we would still have Yugo dealerships!
      Well,
      the team that invented, produced and marketed the iPod are still around today (RIP, Steve <3)

      As for the Yugo I fear it would take a more than mere "business sense" or even a viable product to keep that one going....
    1. Crazy Jay's Avatar
      Crazy Jay -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      RIP iPod Classic. I might actually pick on up if the price drops to have it in the car with all my music.
      Yea me too. The new iPod Nano in my opinion is somewhat unoriginal as well. The nano if famous for its iconic wide screen and the click wheel. Now it looks like the iPad's, iPhone's or iPod touch's little brother.

      Good thing I bought the last true iPod Nano. And you guys should buy the last iClassic until it goes as bad as the nano 😱😱😱