• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Lead Developer of Facebook iPad App Leaves Facebook, Speaks Out


    Nearly two months ago TechCrunch found and leaked Facebook’s iPad app. The code for the app was found in its entirety hidden within the code for the iPhone app. The man behind this feature complete official iPad Facebook App aired out his grievances with Facebook on his personal blog today.

    Jeff Verkoeyen—the lead engineer for the iPad Facebook App—announced today on his blog he is leaving Facebook for a position at Google. Verkoeyen detailed his departure from Facebook and the frustrations his team faced developing the iPad Facebook app.

    It is now nearly 5 months since the app was feature complete and I haven’t seen it released except for when the project was leaked on Techcrunch. Needless to say this was a frustrating experience for me. The experience of working on this app was a large contribution to the reasons why I left Facebook, though that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a difficult decision.— Verkoeyen
    The original plan, according to Verkoeyen, was to launch the app around May, which then got pushed back to sometime in June/July. In Verkoeyen’s post he alluded to “reasons” and “details” behind the apps delay that he didn’t want to get into. These reasons and details likely revolve around an ongoing feud between Facebook and Apple over the social network's integration into iOS 5. Apple and Facebook were reportedly working on a deep integration of Facebook into iOS 5, but that was killed and Apple went with Twitter in its place.

    Facebook has gone on to combat iOS and other platforms with its Spartan project. Spartan is a giant HTML5 platform project Facebook is developing to provide users with the same Facebook experience native Android and iOS apps would without having to deal with Google or Apples terms and conditions. Facebook, as TechCrunch hypothesizes, could be using the native iPad app as a bargaining chip with Apple.

    Verkoeyen clarified with TechCrunch that he hasn’t been working on the iPad app for some time now and that he enjoyed his time working on the app and he was in no way “trying to lash out at Facebook.”


    Source: TechCrunch
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Lead Developer of Facebook iPad App Leaves Facebook, Speaks Out started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 32 Comments
    1. iKillYou's Avatar
      iKillYou -
      Ugh who cares FaceCrook is ghey anyways! If people actually had lives they wouldn't need things like FaceCrook and MySpace. I mean honestly why do people care what so and so is doing? Uhh because they have no life so they wanna feed off other peoples lives, plain and simple!
    1. bonum83's Avatar
      bonum83 -
      He did this respectfully. I commend him.
    1. ikesmasher's Avatar
      ikesmasher -
      Don't blame him. Facebook is fixing things that aren't broken.
    1. STM127's Avatar
      STM127 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
      ...If people actually had lives they wouldn't need things like FaceCrook and MySpace. I mean honestly why do people care what so and so is doing? Uhh because they have no life so they wanna feed off other peoples lives, plain and simple!
      We as humans are socialistic, and Facebook feeds this basic desire. It's catching up with people in a new age format. Instead of going to the bar or a class reunion, we see how high school or college buddies are doing on the computer. Facebook facilities human socialistic desires.

      Granted there are creepy people out there, and this is less personal, but I find it almost arrogant and self-centered not to wonder how your friends are doing.
    1. jbardi's Avatar
      jbardi -
      Quote Originally Posted by STM127 View Post
      We as humans are socialistic, and Facebook feeds this basic desire. It's catching up with people in a new age format. Instead of going to the bar or a class reunion, we see how high school or college buddies are doing on the computer. Facebook facilities human socialistic desires.

      Granted there are creepy people out there, and this is less personal, but I find it almost arrogant and self-centered not to wonder how your friends are doing.
      You are obviously below the age of 25
    1. superman4tqfp's Avatar
      superman4tqfp -
      Quote Originally Posted by STM127 View Post
      but I find it almost arrogant and self-centered not to wonder how your friends are doing.
      If you find out how your friends are doing by checking their Facebook, they're not your friends.
    1. DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
      DayumQuitPlayin -
      Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
      Ugh who cares FaceCrook is ghey anyways! If people actually had lives they wouldn't need things like FaceCrook and MySpace. I mean honestly why do people care what so and so is doing? Uhh because they have no life so they wanna feed off other peoples lives, plain and simple!
      I guess you must not have many friends if you're upset about people wanting to connect and be social with each other.
    1. big poops's Avatar
      big poops -
      Facebook isn't just to spy on other people. It connects you with people that you havent seen in years which is nice. Also people post up events they are hosting or certain things going on that might be interesting. But there are a lot of creepers and haters that abuse the network. All in all it's a way to socialize without having to go out all the time!
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
      Ugh who cares FaceCrook is ghey anyways! If people actually had lives they wouldn't need things like FaceCrook and MySpace. I mean honestly why do people care what so and so is doing? Uhh because they have no life so they wanna feed off other peoples lives, plain and simple!
      ...He said on an internet message board
    1. ccoltmanm's Avatar
      ccoltmanm -
      Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
      Ugh who cares FaceCrook is ghey anyways! If people actually had lives they wouldn't need things like FaceCrook and MySpace. I mean honestly why do people care what so and so is doing? Uhh because they have no life so they wanna feed off other peoples lives, plain and simple!
      um, 500 million people

      I have it, wish i didnt
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Part of me wants to go with the whole "give the people what they want" rant about this concerning facebook, but in the end, it's worked out just fine without the app so "meh"

      I do find it hilarious that people actually are anywhere near bothered by the fact that people use social networks like facebook. It's one of those things that seems stupid to even have an opposite opinion on. Just like any other site, you either log on or you don't. But to go on mini rants about whether people's friends are real or not and blah blah blah is a little heavy on the douchebag side.
    1. SwatPac's Avatar
      SwatPac -
      Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
      Part of me wants to go with the whole "give the people what they want" rant about this concerning facebook, but in the end, it's worked out just fine without the app so "meh"

      I do find it hilarious that people actually are anywhere near bothered by the fact that people use social networks like facebook. It's one of those things that seems stupid to even have an opposite opinion on. Just like any other site, you either log on or you don't. But to go on mini rants about whether people's friends are real or not and blah blah blah is a little heavy on the douchebag side.
      I don't like Facebook because all I've seen it do is create drama and conflict for the people I know. My friend got his jaw broken as he was jumped by five guys over some stupid rumor on Facebook. The people I've seen use Facebook are usually not the brightest anyways. Over 90% of the time, it's just dumb people saying dumb stuff that gets them into bad situations. As for getting in touch with old friends and family, you could just use this thing I heard about called a phone. I see the whole "Social Networking" thing as a fad and nothing else.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
      Ugh who cares FaceCrook is ghey anyways! If people actually had lives they wouldn't need things like FaceCrook and MySpace. I mean honestly why do people care what so and so is doing? Uhh because they have no life so they wanna feed off other peoples lives, plain and simple!
      The only Thing worthy is your homophobia
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      You are obviously below the age of 25
      And you are obviously above the age of 65.

      Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
      I see the whole "Social Networking" thing as a fad and nothing else.
      I don't know, if it's a fad, it's an awfully big one that's been around for a long time... I can see it now though, in a future star trek episode, "back in the early 21st century people used to....."
    1. exNavy's Avatar
      exNavy -
      What you don't want to see a portable version of a time suck?
    1. PatrickGSR94's Avatar
      PatrickGSR94 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
      Ugh who cares FaceCrook is ghey anyways! If people actually had lives they wouldn't need things like FaceCrook and MySpace. I mean honestly why do people care what so and so is doing? Uhh because they have no life so they wanna feed off other peoples lives, plain and simple!
      Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
      You are obviously below the age of 25
      Quote Originally Posted by superman4tqfp View Post
      If you find out how your friends are doing by checking their Facebook, they're not your friends.
      y'all get your heads out of your asses. I was 26/27 before I even started using any sort of online social networking stuff. Now I'm 31 and the fact of the matter is that when you're married, have young kids, and have stuff going on all the time, it's really hard to visit with friends from high school, college, old friends, etc. I'm talking about real friends, people I've known since LONG before social networking ever existed. FB provides a way to do that. And unlike some people, I actually LIKE seeing pics of my friends' families.
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
      Ugh who cares FaceCrook is ghey anyways! If people actually had lives they wouldn't need things like FaceCrook and MySpace. I mean honestly why do people care what so and so is doing? Uhh because they have no life so they wanna feed off other peoples lives, plain and simple!
      One of the dumbest posts I have read in a while..... and I surf macrumors, and you know there are a lot of asshats posting there. Just because someone uses FB you say they have no life? I use it to keep in touch with family and friends that don't live next door. I have family in Florida, Maryland, Arizona, Rhode Island, and friends all over the US and world. The simple fact that you feel the way you do shows that you have a bit something missing in your life and are lashing out and trying to compensate with your over the top post. Don't like FB then don't use it but to say someone has no life because they do is stupid and very narrow minded.

      Now that I'm done dealing with this DA, interesting read. I always felt the app version of FB could be better..... I do like how it doesn't adopt every stupid change they make to the hard site.
    1. superman4tqfp's Avatar
      superman4tqfp -
      Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
      y'all get your heads out of your asses. I'm talking about real friends, people I've known since LONG before social networking ever existed. FB provides a way to do that.
      So do phone calls and text messages. Grow up. You don't have time for actual conversations but everyone has time to read/post about their cats. Sure. FB definitely has its uses but it can just as detrimental.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      And didn't the original facebook app creator leave too?
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
      I don't like Facebook because all I've seen it do is create drama and conflict for the people I know. My friend got his jaw broken as he was jumped by five guys over some stupid rumor on Facebook. The people I've seen use Facebook are usually not the brightest anyways. Over 90% of the time, it's just dumb people saying dumb stuff that gets them into bad situations. As for getting in touch with old friends and family, you could just use this thing I heard about called a phone. I see the whole "Social Networking" thing as a fad and nothing else.
      That's unfortunate, and the ppl that did that are childish idiots, however I've seen the same thing happen at a bar, at sporting events. That probably represents .03% of what people use Facebook for. Sorry to hear about those clowns, but I can say it's cool to see pictures of my sister's vacation and know that she's ok, or pictures of my friends new born when I was out of town and couldn't make it to the hospital. It is what it is.

      Matter of fact, this message board is a form of social networking.