• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS 4.2 Drops Today


    Apple is releasing iOS 4.2.1 today for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, finally unifying all iOS product lines under the same firmware version. As a part of the update, Apple will make Find My iPhone available for free to owners of newer iOS devices that can run iOS 4.2.

    Ahead of the release - expected to drop at 10 am Pacific time in the US, 6pm GMT - Apple updated the iOS webpage to highlight all of the iOS 4 functionality iPhone and iPod touch users have been able to use for months that will now be coming to the iPad. "iOS 4.2 makes the iPad a completely new product, just in time for the holiday season," Steve Jobs was quoted as saying in the official Apple press release. "The iPad with iOS 4.2 will define the target that other tablets will aspire to, but very few, if any, will ever be able to hit."

    iOS 4.2 users can create a free Find My iPhone account on any iPhone 4, iPad, or iPod touch (4th generation), but not on older devices. This is possibly an explanation for the error messages in the beta that talked about devices that did not "qualify for free MobileMe service." Find My iPhone was previously only available to users with MobileMe accounts.

    iPad users with iOS 4.2 will now be able to rent TV episodes directly to their tablet using iTunes for viewing within 30 days of download or 48 hours after as well as find and highlight specific words and phrases on web pages in Mobile Safari. In order to woo business users, Apple's also included "enhanced enterprise support" like stronger security, improved device management capabilities and better enterprise integration. iOS 4.2 also has support for 25 new languages, including Korean, Portuguese and - finally - the Traditional Chinese characters used in Taiwan. The iPad has not been available on the island until now because it only supported the Simplified Chinese characters used on the mainland.

    Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 4.2 Drops Today started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 82 Comments
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      Apple TV is expected to be updated to 4.1 today which will fully enable AirPlay for video streaming which is what I'm really waiting for!
      Isnt Apple TV already on 4.1. Or do you mean LowTide will be updating to 4.1?
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Ummm lol... whatever update is coming today will enable video streaming b/c right now all you can do is audio streaming.

      http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...monday_launch/
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      so am i reading this right 6 PM now???
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      Ummm lol... whatever update is coming today will enable video streaming b/c right now all you can do is audio streaming.

      Apple TV 4.1 Set for Monday Launch | News | The Mac Observer
      lol, in any case that will be a welcome addition.
    1. Dominicsky's Avatar
      Dominicsky -
      Quote Originally Posted by m/ibnzicemanm/ View Post
      don't criticize me for being clueless but is there anything that would make it worthwhile for me to upgrade my 3g to iOS 4.2?
      yes your Iphone 3g should load things up faster, with less lagg
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
      so am i reading this right 6 PM now???
      Source?
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      Nevermind. I read 6 PM GMT. I was thinking 10 AM east coast time for some reason. My bad.
    1. caleb9707's Avatar
      caleb9707 -
      Quote Originally Posted by m/ibnzicemanm/ View Post
      exactly. i don't know why i can get all of iOS4's functionality to work on my 3G but apple can't.
      EXACTLY!! if we can enable everything with a simple plist edit, why cant apple!
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      Sorry my clocks all screwed up, i am in italy right now and i was thinking it was past 10 over there. Sweet should be about 30 more minutes.
    1. MrLingerLonger's Avatar
      MrLingerLonger -
      I am guessing there are reason why apple does not make certain features available to the older models. One is probably because the cpu can't handle those features to run smoothly. Then the complaint would be "Now my 3G runs SLOW". It's a no win situation in the complaint department. Can't make everyone happy.
      The other reason would be is because they want you to buy the current model. After all it's a business, you also have to take that into consideration. You can complain about it until the cows come home. Live with it or move on. Nothing you can do about it.
    1. vladzaharia's Avatar
      vladzaharia -
      Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
      but its def past 10 AM Pacific time so whats up apple, wheres our update?
      Only 9:32 PST. I know, I'm in the time zone.
    1. \m/ibnziceman\m/'s Avatar
      \m/ibnziceman\m/ -
      Quote Originally Posted by MrLingerLonger View Post
      I am guessing there are reason why apple does not make certain features available to the older models. One is probably because the cpu can't handle those features to run smoothly. Then the complaint would be "Now my 3G runs SLOW". It's a no win situation in the complaint department. Can't make everyone happy.
      The other reason would be is because they want you to buy the current model. After all it's a business, you also have to take that into consideration. You can complain about it until the cows come home. Live with it or move on. Nothing you can do about it.
      i see your point but when my 3g is gonna be slow either way i would rather it be slow and have functionality than be slow with no functionality. it is all business but its not very good business to screw over your customers. that could convince some people to start looking at droids or some other smart phone
    1. vindutch's Avatar
      vindutch -
      Quote Originally Posted by caleb9707 View Post
      EXACTLY!! if we can enable everything with a simple plist edit, why cant apple!
      Of course Apple can. But they wont. They just want you to upgrade to a new iphone. Im sure that soon there will be no more support or updates for the 3G.
    1. DougWare's Avatar
      DougWare -
      Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
      Was hoping there would be something with proximity sensor fixes. As i'm still having issues with mine.
      I'm having proximity sensor issues as well. Friday I muted a call with my supervisor while I was in a data center. That still doesn't top the time I dialed 911 with my face while on another call.

      As soon as this update drops, I'm flashing and going to the Apple store with a clean/unjailbroken phone and seeing if they'll replace it...6 months is too long to deal with this crap.

      Doug
    1. Christian Bale's Avatar
      Christian Bale -
      Hell yeah!!! There were already apps that did this but the GPS tracking wasn;t in real time!!! It was in intervals. Thank god this is free now I'll never be afraid to lose my iphone!! w00t now lets wait for the jailbreak and i'll update!
    1. \m/ibnziceman\m/'s Avatar
      \m/ibnziceman\m/ -
      Quote Originally Posted by vindutch View Post
      Of course Apple can. But they wont. They just want you to upgrade to a new iphone. Im sure that soon there will be no more support or updates for the 3G.
      this is what I'm afraid of. my phone will end up being as useless as an original iphone soon
    1. kmmxracer's Avatar
      kmmxracer -
      Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
      Apple does everything 10am PST which translates to 1pm for use on the right coast.


      .........and que the demands for the jb/unlock. This thread is about to be flooded with nubcakes who locked their phone 2 months ago :
      O Ya Duh, guess I should read the whole OP before posting. My bad! Thanks
    1. Peligro0's Avatar
      Peligro0 -
      updatinggg..
      edit.
    1. NessLookAlike's Avatar
      NessLookAlike -
      Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyhero View Post
      So no Find My Iphone for my 3GS?! Even though it works if you pay for a MobileMe account?!

      I don't want to go off on one if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but if I haven't - that SUCKS.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
      That's kind of BS. the 3Gs gets all the features of iOS 4.x & yet we don't get this feature? There's obviously no technical reason they can't do this so why hold back? Oh that's right, Apple needs to do little things to force an upgrade.

      Sometimes I do hate Apple.

      ~Tario70

      Now we just need the JB to drop. Perhaps a Thanksgiving Surprise? We shall see.
      Now calm down guys, its possible that there will be a way soon for pre-iPhone 4 people that have jailbroken their devices to spoof themselves as iPhone 4's and qualify for the service. Anything's possible with jailbreaking, right?