• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Premier Upgrade Program Killed Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch at Sprint



    The evidence continues to pile up that Sprint will be the next carrier to offer the iPhone in the U.S. Unfortunately some of the provider's better customer service policies are getting the ax because of it.

    Sprint announced on its blog today that they would be discontinuing their Premier upgrade plan. The plan allowed customers to upgrade their phones every year. In the post Sprint played its best PR card in trying to justify its decision to nix the program.

    We wanted to let you know about a decision we have made to end the Sprint Premier program.

    The program will be phased out gradually. Depending on whether you are eligible now for certain program benefits or would become eligible soon, you still will have time to take advantage of them. We'll provide additional details about that below.

    First, though, we wanted to share more about why we are taking this step.

    We value the business of all of our customers, and especially appreciate those who have been loyal subscribers for many years. The Premier program was one way we attempted to demonstrate that we appreciated that loyalty.

    This was a difficult decision, but we needed to take some actions now so that Sprint can continue offering other things our customers have told us that they appreciate most. These include:
    • Simple and unlimited pricing plans without throttling or overages;
    • Cutting-edge selection of 4G, Android and other devices at affordable prices;
    • Network upgrades and strong customer service
    This isn't the only change Sprint has made to some common customer service courtesies it extends to subscribers. They've already increased the early-termination fee from $200 to $350 and cut their return-policy in more than half from 30 days to 14 days. Thankfully Sprint still plans to offer unlimited data plans and will continue to practice its policy of not throttling bandwidth for top tier users. These policy changes might not be deal breakers for many consumers, but they do align with what the other iPhone carriers offer.

    Hopefully Sprint will maintain its unlimited data plan independence as well as their non-existent bandwidth throttling policy. Someone has to look out for the consumer, and in a telecom world where picking a provider is akin to picking which devil to dance with, it'd be unfortunate if Sprint turns itself into the ugliest of the bunch.

    Source: Sprint [via iPhoneHacks]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Premier Upgrade Program Killed Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch at Sprint started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
    1. curyousgee's Avatar
      curyousgee -
      Sprint works great in LA and Orange County with 4G as well, cant wait for it to come out soon
    1. thetoothfairy's Avatar
      thetoothfairy -
      AT&T was smart when they took on the iPhone..... at first they were worried if you said you were leaving them however now if you say that they don't care. Sprint and Verizon is no threat to AT&T. I keep telling my sister that has Sprint that in time she will not have unlimited everything like she does now. I think its rotten for these companies to do what they do to us.
    1. MrNewbdude's Avatar
      MrNewbdude -
      Quote Originally Posted by ZipZapp View Post



      Sorry, what iphone plan is only $50? Perhaps you are getting a FAN discount.

      He's refering to AT&T's PREPAID service. Go-Phone. $50/month for unlimited talk, text, and web. But the web doesn't work when you try and use an iphone because AT&T does not support using an iphone for prepaid.


      iBwizzle can you maybe show us how you changed the APN settings to make it work? I work for AT&T and I havent been able to do so as of yet.
      Thanks.

      Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
      I could careless... As long AT&T keeps its $50 Monthly Unlimited Plan I'm good. I changed the APN settings to get data working. Been running strong going on three months now...
      I know AT&T doesnt support using an iphone for prepaid service, can you maybe show us all how you changed the APN settings to get it going? thanks.
    1. Mbeck0265's Avatar
      Mbeck0265 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
      I could careless... As long AT&T keeps its $50 Monthly Unlimited Plan I'm good. I changed the APN settings to get data working. Been running strong going on three months now...
      What APN did you change too. Private message me please.
    1. ander3z's Avatar
      ander3z -
      Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
      You guys in the USA really get screwed by mobile companies don't you?


      Here in the States, our government pretty much let's the cell phone carriers do whatever they want. We have no protections.

      Our phones are LOCKED to the carrier we get them from (unless we can afford the unlocked iPhone directly from Apple) and no company will unlock their iPhones, even after the user has fulfilled her/his contract requirements. So, the phone is locked forever to the provider.

      My understanding for Europe is that your phones are unlocked (all using GSM?) and you can take your hardware to ANY provider... or simply use prepaid cards... once your contracts (if any) are met.

      With my locked iPhone (jailbreak community has some unlocks, but very spotty with respect to basebands supported), when i travel to anywhere outside of the US, i am FORCED to pay ATT's exorbitant "roaming" fees that they bs away saying that $1.00US per minute is a bargain! If the US government would get off their lazy backsides, and force the companies to give users some rights, then i could buy a prepaid SIM in Europe and pay a LOT less than $1.00US per minute.. But our government members all seem to be in bed with the big industry lobbyists (including cell phone operators) so US consumers are screwed.

      But one can dream, can't one?
    1. heyu300's Avatar
      heyu300 -
      Ha Ha << Grandfathered AT&T $30 unlimited data pkg....works great! lol
    1. brbortscheller's Avatar
      brbortscheller -
      Verizon FTW
    1. teknohag's Avatar
      teknohag -
      Quote Originally Posted by MrNewbdude View Post
      He's refering to AT&T's PREPAID service. Go-Phone. $50/month for unlimited talk, text, and web. But the web doesn't work when you try and use an iphone because AT&T does not support using an iphone for prepaid.

      iBwizzle can you maybe show us how you changed the APN settings to make it work? I work for AT&T and I havent been able to do so as of yet.
      Thanks.

      I know AT&T doesnt support using an iphone for prepaid service, can you maybe show us all how you changed the APN settings to get it going? thanks.
      I am grandfathered with AT&T. I have an unlimited data plan for $30 a month. They guarantee me it will not change. I'm on my 3rd iPhone (the 4). The data is fast enough but often the 3G coverage suks in NYC!
    1. Joedogg707's Avatar
      Joedogg707 -
      Funny thing being grandfathered.....I don't even have kids. Lol. But really, it's the only reason I'm sticking with stupid AT&T. I still rock my 3GS, wifey has 3G. Wouldn't let her get the 4 since the 5 was coming. Sorry honey. Grrrrrr!
    1. teknohag's Avatar
      teknohag -
      Quote Originally Posted by Joedogg707 View Post
      Funny thing being grandfathered.....I don't even have kids. Lol. But really, it's the only reason I'm sticking with stupid AT&T. I still rock my 3GS, wifey has 3G. Wouldn't let her get the 4 since the 5 was coming. Sorry honey. Grrrrrr!
      lol - no kids here either. I gave husband 3GS (Had to get a data plan for him) & bargained for a new 16GB 4 for $99. for moi, AT&T is the devil I know and am dancing with - for now.