• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Nintendo Games Not Headed to iPhone According to Nintendo CEO


    Donít hold your breath waiting for Mario to arrive on the iPhone any time soon. At a recent post-press conference interview with Nikkei, Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata denied rumors that Nintendo would begin making games for other platforms.

    According to Iwata, ďThis is absolutely not under consideration. If we did this, Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo. Having a hardware development team in-house is a major strength. Itís the duty of management to make use of those strengths.Ē

    Recently, Nintendoís stock rose sharply with rumors that the company would soon begin developing software for third party devices such as the iPhone. But their stock soon plunged back down when it was discovered that the rumors were unfounded.

    Nintendoís latest handheld gaming system, the 3DS, has been something of a failure for the company. The system has been out for less than six months and Nintendo has already slashed the price from $249 to $169.99. Shareholders, fearing more losses, have urged Iwata to start developing games for other platforms.

    Nintendo could take the same route that Sega did back in 2001 when Sega of America officially announced that they would become a third-party software publisher. With stiff competition from the likes of Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, Sega chose to throw in the towel and just sell software. Nintendo may have to take the same route that Sega did over a decade ago.

    Nintendo will continue to have financial difficulties unless they can come up with a strategy to deal with the likes of Apple. Many gamers are unwilling to spend $30 -$40 on a single game when they can easily get 30 to 40 games at the App Store for the same price, and thatís not including free titles. Hopefully, Nintendo will find a way to continue to sell innovative hardware and to release a few titles for the iPhone along the way. Iím not the only one who would love to play Super Mario Bros. on my iPhone.

    Source: TechCrunch
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Nintendo Games Not Headed to iPhone According to Nintendo CEO started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 32 Comments
    1. Buzzeh's Avatar
      Buzzeh -
      Good choice Iwata, i respect you
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Nintendo putting their games on a platform not produced by them would be their decision to get out of the hardware market. Nobody is going to buy a mobile gaming device if they are able to play the very same games on phones that they already have. The only way I see around this is if Nintendo MAY decide to make exclusive games for these platforms. Nintendo has NEVER done this (well, not after their arcade days in the 80s) so I wouldn't expect them to bend for any reason.

      Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
      Nintendo will be a thing of the pass unless they do what Sega did! It's their lost.
      Sorry, but based on what? Their very first quarter not turning a profit? SEGA was plummeting far longer and steeper before they decided to get out of the hardware market.

      Is it possible that maybe, JUST MAYBE, the 3DS is simply a flop and has little to do with iOS apps?

      EDIT: This came out harsher than intended, at least when I read it back. Nothing against you, toothy, just saying that I think a lot of people are condemning Nintendo WAY TOO EARLY.

      Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
      Agreed. People would still pay $35 for a nintendo title on iOS. What they/I will not pay is $199-$299 for an iPhone + $200-$400 for a portable gaming system (ie, 3DS or PS Vita) and then $40-$60 for games, along side $200-$400 for a home console + $40-$60 for games.

      In today's economy, at some point you have to choose what platform(s) you are going to support - the times of everyone owning every system available is over.

      I had to go with a used XBOX360 and an iPhone - plus why would I carry around a phone and a portable gaming system? People that carry around multiple devices (especially on their belts) look like tools/douches.

      tim
      I think we (read: not just you) are blaming the economy too much here. This isn't to say that it's not part of it, but just look at all the crap games out there. It seems with every console refresh we get fewer and fewer decent games. How long have we had the 360, Wii and PS3 now? 5+ years for all three console, right? The good titles for each console are few and far between. I count a good title as the ones that sell millions of copies, and yes, there are a handful that still sell that many. The point is, the market is still there, so long as there is a quality product. Problem is, we just aren't seeing the quality products in the numbers we used to.
    1. teej1410's Avatar
      teej1410 -
      That might be bad or might not. As far as I know, nintendo is doing just fine. I bought a 3DS and can't wait till more great titles are released. My problem with iOS games are that they don't last as long as a regular game console game.
    1. bignighttrain's Avatar
      bignighttrain -
      Unless they conform to the times it will be the end of nintendo. I will not pay $30 or up for any game. I'm 33 I've been playing games since atari and since the gaming systems are computers why not adopted to the norm. Nintendo would sell more games through the mobile market then they ever sold. I'm talking android and apple smartphones and tablets. In my opinion there knocking there platform out of the history books. Everyone at least 38 years and younger love gaming but since the times have changed companies need to change also and who wants to lugg around a huge gaming device. We need to be able to run whatever OS we want on any device we want since games are software in the first place and play any game we want on whatever device we want. It's the devs that need to make the change being they create the games, make universal games that work on any device and plays nice with all platforms is what I want and think the future should be.
    1. hafiz mshahid's Avatar
      hafiz mshahid -
      You're lucky because I have almost finished a FREE Step By Step Traffic Explosion Bootcamp for all who are interested in using article marketing the correct way.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Why is it that iOS is the harbinger of doom for Nintendo but doesn't seem to be of any effect to Sony or Microsoft?Breaking News: Nintendo has more than just their Handheld(s)Stupid sensational articles are stupid.
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      Um. Have you been living under a rock? Compare the ps3 to the ps2 and you can easily see that the ps3 is a failure, no matter how you put it. Sorry, facts are facts.
      Ha, PS3 a failure, your kidding right? You are soo wrong, why would anyone compare a PS2 to a PS3. If it wasn't for the Americans buying the Xbox 360, Xbox 360 would be the failure of this gaming generation. PS3 dominates everywhere in the world except North America, PS3 exclusives sell more than the 360 due to the face PS3 has more exclusives, sure Halo sells more than 1 PS3 exclusive but the total amount, PS3 sells more yearly. The only reason PS3 isn't doing as good in sales is because it was released a year after the 360 and it was more expensive. In the long run PS3 dominates with its superior graphics and games on 1 blu ray instead of 3 disc -_-

      Also most of the people on this thread who are saying "Oh Nintendo are making a mistake", you guys don't know anything about games and how the gaming industry works. Sure MS could sell more Halo and Gears if they made it for the PS3 but there's something called "an exclusive", emphasis on the word EXCLUSIVE.

      Mario etc are Nintendo IP's only for Nintendo hardware. iPhone ISN'T Nintendo hardware


      Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
      Nintendo will be a thing of the pass unless they do what Sega did! It's their lost.
      Only if they continue the way they are ie, releasing Wii U and 3DS which are both pathetic hardware wise. If Nintendo can get their head together and actually make a major new console, Nintendo will survive as they have some good exclusives.

      Look at Sony PS Vita and how soo many people are wanting it, its because its a major upgrade from the PSP unlike the shoddy 3DS which is just a DS with 3D with the same lame graphics and old tech touchscreen LCD.
    1. NegativeBeef's Avatar
      NegativeBeef -
      Didn't Nintendo make a Mario game on the 3DO? Or was it made by a different company? I don't know but I remember a Mario game on the 3DO.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
      Didn't Nintendo make a Mario game on the 3DO? Or was it made by a different company? I don't know but I remember a Mario game on the 3DO.
      I don't know about that, but I do know they made at least once pc game.

    1. NegativeBeef's Avatar
      NegativeBeef -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      I don't know about that, but I do know they made at least once pc game.

      Well I just found it. It's called Hotel Mario and it was for the CDi.

      Hotel Mario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    1. Nintendo Tim's Avatar
      Nintendo Tim -
      Why do we keeping beating this dead horse? Do we really think Nintendo is going to let loose it's IPs onto competitor's hardware?
    1. Shadowmax's Avatar
      Shadowmax -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      Ha, PS3 a failure, your kidding right? You are soo wrong, why would anyone compare a PS2 to a PS3. If it wasn't for the Americans buying the Xbox 360, Xbox 360 would be the failure of this gaming generation. PS3 dominates everywhere in the world except North America, PS3 exclusives sell more than the 360 due to the face PS3 has more exclusives, sure Halo sells more than 1 PS3 exclusive but the total amount, PS3 sells more yearly. The only reason PS3 isn't doing as good in sales is because it was released a year after the 360 and it was more expensive. In the long run PS3 dominates with its superior graphics and games on 1 blu ray instead of 3 disc -_-

      Also most of the people on this thread who are saying "Oh Nintendo are making a mistake", you guys don't know anything about games and how the gaming industry works. Sure MS could sell more Halo and Gears if they made it for the PS3 but there's something called "an exclusive", emphasis on the word EXCLUSIVE.

      Mario etc are Nintendo IP's only for Nintendo hardware. iPhone ISN'T Nintendo hardware



      Only if they continue the way they are ie, releasing Wii U and 3DS which are both pathetic hardware wise. If Nintendo can get their head together and actually make a major new console, Nintendo will survive as they have some good exclusives.

      Look at Sony PS Vita and how soo many people are wanting it, its because its a major upgrade from the PSP unlike the shoddy 3DS which is just a DS with 3D with the same lame graphics and old tech touchscreen LCD.

      PS3 Dominates?????? lol let me get you out of your dream world Sony Fanboy, yes he compares the sales of PS2 Vs PS3 because everybody compares DS with the 3DS. PS3 is the worst saled gaming system from Sony, the Wii even with SD grafics has doubled the sales of the PS3.

      You are right Nintendo isn't going to release any game for other hardware but their own. They actually will fail if they do.

      3DS is not a DS with 3D, you are stupid if you don't see the diference. The 3DS is actually more powerful than the PSP so it has good hardware Nintendo will succeed once they release their exclusives like Monster Hunter 3G and 4, their first party titles like Mario Land 3DS, Mario Kart 7, Pokemon or SMB for 3DS.

      You say the WiiU has pathetic hardware. So far Nintendo never released the specs for the WiiU so where is the time machine you used?. And right now all 3rd parties developers are happy with the hardware and saying that it can easily pull games in 1080p native.

      PS: STOP WRITING IN RED COLOR IS STUPID

      Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
      Well I just found it. It's called Hotel Mario and it was for the CDi.

      Hotel Mario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      CDI games were not made by Nintendo's Mario and Zelda teams. They were made with the permison of Nintendo by other developers that is why those games sucks