• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • IDC Data Shows Android Bleeding Tablet Market Share to The iPad


    According to the findings of presented in the "Worldwide Quarterly Media Tablet and eReader Tracker" from the International Data Corporation (IDC), Apple remains an even bigger-than-expected force in the global tablet market. And Android is anything but the big winner in the emerging market ravenous for tablets computers.

    Based on the IDC's research, worldwide media tablet shipments in the second quarter were driven by "continued robust demand for Apple's iPad 2," which saw shipments reach 9.3 million units, representing a 68.3% share of the worldwide market (up from 65.7% the previous quarter). Meanwhile, Android-based tablets saw their collective share slip to 26.8%, which is down sharply from 34.0% the previous quarter.

    Making a projection toward the second half of 2011, IDC anticipates Android losing even more market share to Apple in the 3rd quarter of 2011. By the end of Q3, IDC believes Android's market share could fall as low as 23%. "Apple's iOS share will continue to lead by more than 40 percentage points over Google's Android for the remainder of the year, but we expect Apple's share to fall closer to 50% by the end of the forecast period as manufacturers bring new tablets to market," says Jennifer Song, a research analyst quoted in the report.

    All told, the IDC presented an improved outlook for the second half of the year for the tablet market as a whole. IDC raised its shipment forecast for 2011 to 62.5 million units, up from a previous projection of 53.5 million units.

    Source: IDC
    This article was originally published in forum thread: IDC Data Shows Android Bleeding Tablet Market Share to The iPad started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 15 Comments
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Well could this have something to do with Apple suing anyone that makes a tablet better than theirs and then getting it banned?
    1. buttrr76's Avatar
      buttrr76 -
      lolz
    1. Bigmaxx2000's Avatar
      Bigmaxx2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Well could this have something to do with Apple suing anyone that makes a tablet better than theirs and then getting it banned?
      Lol!!!!!
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Well could this have something to do with Apple suing anyone that makes a tablet better than theirs and then getting it banned?
      That's a little too large a number to blame on Apple's beef with 1 tablet
    1. tomlangford001's Avatar
      tomlangford001 -
      If apple made ios open to 3rd party devices like android is then what would apples market share look like then
    1. arnold33168's Avatar
      arnold33168 -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Well could this have something to do with Apple suing anyone that makes a tablet better than theirs and then getting it banned?
      You can't blame Apple for that. How would you feel if you created an invention and someone else made practically the same items with a little odds and ends? I bet your opinion would change if it involves your money...

      Apple has proven to be the innovator and all the other companies are sitting back and waiting for Apple to come put with something new and make modifications to it. It's not an opinion, this is pure facts
    1. zplit's Avatar
      zplit -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Well could this have something to do with Apple suing anyone that makes a tablet better than theirs and then getting it banned?
      Mmi is full of haters why can just believe that they doing better than everybody else lol.
    1. Painkiller006's Avatar
      Painkiller006 -
      Quote Originally Posted by arnold33168 View Post
      You can't blame Apple for that. How would you feel if you created an invention and someone else made practically the same items with a little odds and ends? I bet your opinion would change if it involves your money...

      Apple has proven to be the innovator and all the other companies are sitting back and waiting for Apple to come put with something new and make modifications to it. It's not an opinion, this is pure facts
      You still have some of that Apple Kool-Aid left? I also want to believe Apple created an invention that is known as a tablet. Apple has not been an innovator at all. Tablet's, smartphones were here before Apple...sure they weren't as popular or easy to use but they were still here.
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
      You still have some of that Apple Kool-Aid left? I also want to believe Apple created an invention that is known as a tablet. Apple has not been an innovator at all. Tablet's, smartphones were here before Apple...sure they weren't as popular or easy to use but they were still here.
      So, just out of curiosity. You're saying that the iPad and iPhone are merely just average at best copies of already created things? There's nothing special or even noteworthy about them at all.

      I just want to be clear
    1. Themrdecan's Avatar
      Themrdecan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
      You still have some of that Apple Kool-Aid left? I also want to believe Apple created an invention that is known as a tablet. Apple has not been an innovator at all. Tablet's, smartphones were here before Apple...sure they weren't as popular or easy to use but they were still here.
      Yeah and back then all the tablets looked the same right? No, they came in all forms of crappy, the look, style and feel was that of a non-folding laptop which couldnt perform. Then apple made one and now magically everyone has copied the basic design premise down to the color schemes and overall feel. Apple didnt come up with the idea of the smart phone, they came up with the idea for a better smart phone, same goes for the ipad and tablets in general. No one compares themselves to Samsung, or strives to be like motorola, they want that Apple money, and if they can get away with cheap chinese American knockoffs then why not give it a shot?
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by tomlangford001 View Post
      If apple made ios open to 3rd party devices like android is then what would apples market share look like then
      Not really, take out Australia (huge area) and take out Europe (big purchasing power). Plus Samsung is a big player in tablet market, that does take a huge dent out of Android device.
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by arnold33168 View Post
      You can't blame Apple for that. How would you feel if you created an invention and someone else made practically the same items with a little odds and ends? I bet your opinion would change if it involves your money...

      Apple has proven to be the innovator and all the other companies are sitting back and waiting for Apple to come put with something new and make modifications to it. It's not an opinion, this is pure facts

      apple did NOT invent

      - the tablet
      - the smart phone
      - touch screen
      - mobile apps
      - app stores

      so when you say "How would you feel if you created an invention and someone else made practically the same items with a little odds and ends?" does that also apply to apple and their copying of the above mentioned devices or does apple get a pass because you're a stupid @ss fanboy.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by tomlangford001 View Post
      If apple made ios open to 3rd party devices like android is then what would apples market share look like then
      That would never happen, Apple would lose the hardware revenue.
      Apple want too much control to even think a 3rd party devices would ever happen.
      Opening up the iOS to 3rd party device would open up the iOS, which means iOS would lose many of functions you enjoy so much now.
    1. Razz's Avatar
      Razz -
      Quote Originally Posted by Themrdecan View Post
      Yeah and back then all the tablets looked the same right? No, they came in all forms of crappy, the look, style and feel was that of a non-folding laptop which couldnt perform. Then apple made one and now magically everyone has copied the basic design premise down to the color schemes and overall feel. Apple didnt come up with the idea of the smart phone, they came up with the idea for a better smart phone, same goes for the ipad and tablets in general. No one compares themselves to Samsung, or strives to be like motorola, they want that Apple money, and if they can get away with cheap chinese American knockoffs then why not give it a shot?

      They only made better products because the technology (the bulk of which they bought rights to, not invented) was available to do so. Of course the old tablets were crap, the tech wasn't there yet. That's like saying because someone put an automatic transmission in a car one day, that no one else should be able to do it because they did it first. Just because apple was able to get there **** together first doesn't mean they should be the only game in town.

      Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
      So, just out of curiosity. You're saying that the iPad and iPhone are merely just average at best copies of already created things? There's nothing special or even noteworthy about them at all.

      I just want to be clear
      That's what I'm saying. And I'm an ipad2 owner/iphone4 owner. Not compared to old tech, but compared to what it could be.
    1. Breezer23's Avatar
      Breezer23 -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      That would never happen, Apple would lose the hardware revenue.
      Apple want too much control to even think a 3rd party devices would ever happen.
      Opening up the iOS to 3rd party device would open up the iOS, which means iOS would lose many of functions you enjoy so much now.
      +10