iPatch—a UK based iPhone and iPod repair vendor—teased the release of a new mod for the iPhone 4 tday. The mod is simple, stylish, and noticeable. Plus it doesn't scream "look at me!", rather it causes others to sigh jealously while muttering under their breath "I wish I had that."
iPatch will be releasing a mod to illuminate the Apple on the back of the iPhone 4. The mod, which is projected to be released by the end of the month, wont add any girth to the iPhone 4 or cause any heating issues. More importantly though it hasn't proven to be a mega drain on battery either, or so iPatch claims. We wont know for sure until its available for public consumption though. iPatch has a rather extensive rundown of the mod's capabilities, how it affects the iPhone 4, and what it means for the user warranty wise.
- It has had no noticable drop in battery performance in day to day use
- It does not cause any heating of the rear case
- The light goes off when the screen goes off. This means it will not glow when you are on a normal call and have the phone to your ear or have the phone on standby
- The light effect is an evenly distributed glow, much like the apple symbol on the rear of a macbook lid
- It does illuminate when you receive a text or call, or when your alarm sounds
- It does not cause any change in thickness to the phone or result in any light leakage around the frame
- The glass plate used is that from a standard iPhone 4 and is, therefore, available in black and white (or even custom colours if required)
- The colour of the apple logo can be changed by applying a colour filter and its intensity can be reduced by reducing the front LCD brightness. There are other, currently classified, mods that may be possible too depending on testing. Currently, when the light is off, the apple has a frosted glass appearance but this may change to reflective silver, if possible, to maintain the original look of the iPhone
- The camera function is completely unaffected either with or without flash
- Plans are to release an export franchise kit which will be available to trained repairers abroad. It is by no means simple to replicate and would not be advisable to attempt without the expertise and knowledge of how the iPhone functions at a circuitry level. Details of how to participate will be released in the future
- It will void any warranty with apple but the modification is fully reversible, returning the iPhone exactly back to how it was (at a smaller additional cost)
- It will come with iPatch's standard 90 day warranty so if anything goes wrong, you are covered
- International orders are welcomed although please be aware of the delivery scale and costs
- It looks, quite frankly, awesome!
Like an iPhone 5.