• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone 4 Shipping Times Fall As Apple Readies iPhone 5


    Despite being just weeks away (if not sooner) from the unveiling and subsequent public release of the iPhone 5, demand for the fourth generation iPhone remains largely unaffected. But pointing to further evidence that iPhone 5 production is now in full swing, shipping times for newly placed iPhone 4 orders have begun to lengthen substantially.

    Inventory of the iPhone 4 has begun dwindling to such an extent that it may now take upwards of three days for new orders to ship. As recent as last week, orders for both the Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4 models were shipping within 24 hours. As of this writing, all models and colors of the fourth generation handset are seeing decreased shipping times.

    Similar to the reduced shipping times for the iPhone 3GS before the iPhone 4 was released, production of the iPhone 5 can clearly be blamed for the new shipping delays in question.

    As my MMi colleague Phillip Swanson pointed out this morning, Foxconn, Apple's largest manufacturer, is believed to be producing upwards of 150,000 iPhone 5s a day ahead of the new device's launch. But even with production of 1.5 million units every ten days, iPhone 5 supply shortages are already being anticipated by industry analysts and market watchers who say Apple's penchant for scarce new product supply should once again whip Apple fanatics into a frenzy this October.

    Source: DigiTimes, Apple Insider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone 4 Shipping Times Fall As Apple Readies iPhone 5 started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 20 Comments
    1. gldoorii's Avatar
      gldoorii -
      Ok..I'm so confused..is there no conference this fall? Sites keep talking about "the unveiling" of the phone, but yet no one at all has said it will be at a conference. Is it just going to pop up on the website out of nowhere? There is always the iPod conference around this time and the date is always talked about, but yet I don't see anything on here, Engadget, OSaily, etc about any conference. Can someone fill me in, cause I feel like I missed the memo.
    1. alan2022000's Avatar
      alan2022000 -
      ^^^^^i would like to know that to^^^^^plus, the apple UK site still says within 24 hours for 3gs and all version of the iphone 4
    1. kline1's Avatar
      kline1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
      Ok..I'm so confused..is there no conference this fall? Sites keep talking about "the unveiling" of the phone, but yet no one at all has said it will be at a conference. Is it just going to pop up on the website out of nowhere? There is always the iPod conference around this time and the date is always talked about, but yet I don't see anything on here, Engadget, OSaily, etc about any conference. Can someone fill me in, cause I feel like I missed the memo.
      What they are doing this year is a Software conference which as we all know already happend, and the ipod conference will become a Hardware conference, which makes sense. That way all new hardware will be announced all at once, iPods, iPhones, and maybe iPad also, which i doubt it. Happening very soon, i also cant fuken wait.
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      It's so frustrating. The last 4 years straight the fall iPod conference has been the first week of Sept. Well that's come and gone and we don't even have a press conference notification yet.
    1. gldoorii's Avatar
      gldoorii -
      K I didnt think there was a date yet, which is odd.. Btw, could someone tell me why there are no other comments viewable except my own when I'm logged in? I see nothing on the page but "Click to leave comment, showing 1 comment, leave a comment" and nothing to expand the comment field to see the rest.
    1. thetoothfairy's Avatar
      thetoothfairy -
      Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
      K I didnt think there was a date yet, which is odd.. Btw, could someone tell me why there are no other comments viewable except my own when I'm logged in? I see nothing on the page but "Click to leave comment, showing 1 comment, leave a comment" and nothing to expand the comment field to see the rest.
      I am seeing everything ok on my computer... they are doing upgrades from what I understand... try cleaning out your browser cash and such and then load MMi
    1. GmAz's Avatar
      GmAz -
      Yup, thats Apple. Forget current customers receiving their product in a timely fashion so they can cash in on the next product.
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
      Yup, thats Apple. Forget current customers receiving their product in a timely fashion so they can cash in on the next product.
      I wouldn't say 3 days is all that long to have to wait. By your logic they would just have to put the iPhone 5 on hold until demand for the iPhone 4 subsided. Then you'd have a whole customer base mad about the delay of the new product. No win situation in your case.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      It's certainly possible that Apple wants to make sure that their iPhone 5 stock is strong before announcing anything to the world. What other reason do they have to wait?

      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      I wouldn't say 3 days is all that long to have to wait. By your logic they would just have to put the iPhone 5 on hold until demand for the iPhone 4 subsided. Then you'd have a whole customer base mad about the delay of the new product. No win situation in your case.
      Playing devil's advocate here, but there is a whole customer base ALREADY mad at the delay. This is the first your that the iPhone successor has been off of its ~365 day release schedule.
    1. iamutman's Avatar
      iamutman -
      I know this is just semantics, but it happened a few times so maybe I'm missing something.

      The article title itself says shipping times are falling, and the third paragraph mentions reduced shipping times. But if phones are taking 3 days to ship instead of the regular one day, aren't shipping times rising/increasing?
    1. Stumbows's Avatar
      Stumbows -
      As of this writing, all models and colors of the fourth generation handset are seeing decreased shipping times.
      It probably should have been worded "Increased" shipping times.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      You know, a lot of items on the Apple store have increased their shipping times to 3-5 days. Maybe we are reading into this too much? The iPhone is not the only one (look at their Macs)
    1. Cody Overcash's Avatar
      Cody Overcash -
      test post
    1. Zeal's Avatar
      Zeal -
      .....Blame canada
    1. southfrisco's Avatar
      southfrisco -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      It's certainly possible that Apple wants to make sure that their iPhone 5 stock is strong before announcing anything to the world. What other reason do they have to wait?



      Playing devil's advocate here, but there is a whole customer base ALREADY mad at the delay. This is the first your that the iPhone successor has been off of its ~365 day release schedule.
      Perhaps the fact that iOS5 is still in beta. iPhone 5 hardware can be produced but they can't ship the hardware out until iOS5 goes gold master.
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
      .....Blame canada
      South Park: Blame Canada Song & Video HD - YouTube
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Why are Apple releasing it soo late and not a yearly cycle!!It better be a major upgrade with an OLED screen.
    1. quidam_brujah's Avatar
      quidam_brujah -
      I read somewhere that the iPhone 5 will be made of spun sugar which makes it both extremely fragile and provides integrate water damage detection.
    1. 2k1's Avatar
      2k1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
      I read somewhere that the iPhone 5 will be made of spun sugar which makes it both extremely fragile and provides integrate water damage detection.
      Lol that's a good one
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
      Ok..I'm so confused..is there no conference this fall? Sites keep talking about "the unveiling" of the phone, but yet no one at all has said it will be at a conference. Is it just going to pop up on the website out of nowhere? There is always the iPod conference around this time and the date is always talked about, but yet I don't see anything on here, Engadget, OSaily, etc about any conference. Can someone fill me in, cause I feel like I missed the memo.
      Pretty weird. Also the Good ole yello sticky note is back on the Apple store "Well be back". Hmmmmmmmm. Maintenance or new product????