• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Union Boss Blasts 'Unpatriotic' Apple, Says President Obama Should 'Attack' It


    International Brotherhood of Teamsters Union President Jim Hoffa has some tough words for both Apple and US President Barack Obama. According to Hoffa, Apple is "unpatriotic" for investing more of its vast reserves of cash into China than in the US. Hoffa adds that President Obama should do something about it. No specific instructions, however, were given by Hoffa other than to say Obama should "attack" companies that behave the way Apple does.

    In the controversial interview with CNN, Hoffa told host Candy Crowley that he's well aware of the reality that it's more cost-effective to set up factories and hire workers overseas. "We know that," he said, while noting that companies still "have an obligation to America to build in America."



    "I think the president should challenge the patriotism of these American corporations that are sitting on the sidelines saying, why do we have high unemployment but I am not going to hire anybody?" Hoffa says. "You know, they have an obligation just like the federal government, just like Obama. We have all got to get into the game. And I don't see that happening. So the trillions and billions of dollars that they have on the sidelines, they have money, Pfizer and General Electric, they have trillions of dollars overseas, let's start repatriating that money. Let's start a program to get America going again."

    Taking his argument to another level, Hoffa blatantly called Apple "unpatriotic" for a number of reasons, but chief among them the tech giant's construction of a factory in Mexico. "You can do it here," Hoffa said, "But the answer is, you have to have the incentive. And so many companies like Mr. Coffee and all of these other companies that have closed and moved to Mexico, they are wrong. They are unpatriotic."

    Source: CNN
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Union Boss Blasts 'Unpatriotic' Apple, Says President Obama Should 'Attack' It started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 31 Comments
    1. Breezer23's Avatar
      Breezer23 -
      More and more companies move out of our country to other DEVELOPED countries every day. They ship out not because of our wages, they ship out because of our tax rate. Countries like Ireland have a 12.5% corporate tax rate. Until our tax code system is fixed out sourcing will continue.
    1. teej1410's Avatar
      teej1410 -
      Business is business.
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
      Newsflash: The union isn't on your side either. Most unions are illegal political funding machines and nothing else.
      Of course this is YOUR opinion.... many others don't share that opinion. I bet the union workers would definately disagree with you.

      Quote Originally Posted by Breezer23 View Post
      More and more companies move out of our country to other DEVELOPED countries every day. They ship out not because of our wages, they ship out because of our tax rate. Countries like Ireland have a 12.5% corporate tax rate. Until our tax code system is fixed out sourcing will continue.
      LoL, you really have no clue. Please, and for all of you that think like this poster, look and see how much tax corporations pay here in the US, THEN you will see why what you just said is silly.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      While I generally agree with Jimmy Hoffa (junior and senior-- may he rest in peace(s)) and his vision of the future of American labor, I disagree with his suggestion that the US ought to go after Apple.

      Our president enough unpopular and enervating wars on his plate already, and that's just cleaning up the few dozen conflicts left over from past administrations. If Jimmy Hoffa really wants to make a difference, he should take on Apple himself. That he won't or can't is a symptom of the greater malaise infecting and destroying our (and other) economies and the workers which populate them.

      Still, I'd like to like the guy. I'd like him more if he offered more constructive criticism (inviting Apple employees, and iPhone users to rise up and destroy their masters, maybe???)
    1. m1k3y_b0y's Avatar
      m1k3y_b0y -
      Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
      I did not really expect this from you. Great post. Workers should get paid well enough when doing skilled labor, but as a former union worker you would not believe how much of that money is taken by the union.



      Newsflash: The union isn't on your side either. Most unions are illegal political funding machines and nothing else.



      The only thing unpatriotic here is your rationale. This country was founded by people trying to get out from the the thumb of government, and prosper for themselves. You lost all credibility when you said how much money is too much. No company NEEDS a single penny of profit. But without it why would anybody go into business. It is thinking like yours that has destroyed a once prospering nation, and filled it with beggars.
      Who is John Galt?
    1. epignosis567's Avatar
      epignosis567 -
      Quote Originally Posted by m1k3y_b0y View Post
      Who is John Galt?
      Ah fanboi's demonstrating their total lack of understanding or ability to comprehend anything to do with the real world.
      Things out here are complicated boi's. And cannot be summed up in catchphrases gleaned from pop culture romance novels.

      And +1 to the idea that apple is unpatriotic. The president has praised a company as the amercan dream when in reality they came up with a good idea and said "now let's go pay the Chinese to do it for us."
      That may be American but it's not the amercan dream.
    1. ikesmasher's Avatar
      ikesmasher -
      Problem is, its cheaper to do it in china. People in the US don't adjust prices very well to a dropping economy...And still try making 3x profit for parts. it would make the Ipod touch cost probably like 350 if they were made here.
    1. m1k3y_b0y's Avatar
      m1k3y_b0y -
      Quote Originally Posted by epignosis567 View Post
      Ah fanboi's demonstrating their total lack of understanding or ability to comprehend anything to do with the real world.
      Things out here are complicated boi's. And cannot be summed up in catchphrases gleaned from pop culture romance novels.

      And +1 to the idea that apple is unpatriotic. The president has praised a company as the amercan dream when in reality they came up with a good idea and said "now let's go pay the Chinese to do it for us."
      That may be American but it's not the amercan dream.
      That's sort of the pot calling the kettle black, no? I'm sorry and don't intend to diverge from the intent of this thread, but anyone who cares enough to post on these forums could easily be considered a fanboi. For the record, intrigued by this article, I setup an account on this site yesterday in order to throw my two cents into the conversation. You, on the other hand, have been posting for how long?

      In any event, you're right that we're in extremely complex socioeconomic times such that my comment may've seemed like a gross oversimplification. However, I stand behind the intent of my comment, as I believe Rand's ideologies compliment the absurdity of the story quite well.

      Our president has been quite vocal about his belief in American innovation and its importance as a means to motor us ahead. Indeed, the policies of our government have placed a shifting emphasis on skilled labor for decades. All the while, we've sacrificed a tremendous amount of industry to foreign lands. In my opinion, that has been a gamble that's yet to pay off.

      I am an American by birth and believe in what our society stands for. I want nothing save for our nation's prosperity, but am riddled with concern regarding the road ahead. Perhaps it has something to do with the tabloidesque nature of politics today, or perhaps I'm just not drinking the right brand of Kool-Aid.
    1. Mes's Avatar
      Mes -
      Quote Originally Posted by m1k3y_b0y View Post
      ... Or perhaps i'm just not drinking the right brand of kool-aid.
      lol
    1. quidam_brujah's Avatar
      quidam_brujah -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      If America didn't regulate the companies away from the U.S. & we traded goods fairly both ways we wouldn't be the sinking ship that America has become. We are driving the companies away then we cry about it. America has some tough times ahead of it, really tough times.
      Too many regulations in the U.S. isn't so much a stick as too few regulations and cheap labor are the carrot elsewhere.
      This is the same argument as 'corporations aren't expanding because taxes are too high': corporations expand based on demand.

      Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
      I partly agree here.... except of course about the president making things easier. Seems some of you have no clue about this country's history and what unions did for your grandfathers and great grandfathers lives. The president can do NOTHING to make things easier r/t jobs here in the US. We have shared power so it will take pres and congress to make things happen.

      That being said I believe it is un-American to dump millions/billions into foreign countries economies. I believe there should be a hefty import tax on any item coming into this county "made" by an American company. Sure we would pay more for our little idevices but that's something I'd be willing to do. Now I'll sit back and watch all the other posters rail against organized labor and how evil it is..... of course the the middle class is disappearing and the wage discrepansy between working stiffs and CEO's is larger than it has ever been but no biggie, we don't need any one on the side of the workers.
      Building on rkswat's comment...
      The 'good ol days' that everyone yearns for (50s-60s) had a huge percentage of the workforce unionized; single earner incomes could buy a home, fill it with 'modern conveniences', and send the kids to college; the income gap between the working class and the executive class was substantially smaller; education was cheaper; about 5% of our GDP was exports (so don't go to the 'rest of the world was decimated post WWII' argument); import tariffs made it difficult for foreign corps to bombard us with cheap goods (and drive our labor down) and provided less incentive to off-shore jobs. This is a just a sampling of why things seem to have been better then -- economically they were: people weren't getting incredibly wealthy very fast as the income was being distributed around to the people doing the work in a fairly equitable fashion.

      Now, having said that, it should be noted that... yes: corporations are not patriotic. They aren't capable of it. They exist to make a profit -- that's it. They aren't 'good' or 'bad' they just 'are' -- they exist. And, having said that, I would also like to say that I think it's asinine for corporations to be treated like people in any way, shape or form. They are not people. They do not have rights. They are permitted to exist as an artificial entity solely at the whim of The People. They don't get 'free speech.' And if the SCotUS is going to give that right and say they are like people, then they should be treated ENTIRELY like people: they can't vote until 18; if they cause injury to someone, they go to jail; if they bribe someone, they go to jail; if a Texas-based corporation kills someone, they get the death penalty; they should be taxed like people; they should not be allowed to 'marry' numerous other corporations and create monopolies (polygamy). I could go on.. it is fun...
    1. 229Mick's Avatar
      229Mick -
      This is what you get. This ***** Hole was telling obama to do something about the tea party people because they have a difference of opinion than him. If they don't think like jimmy hoffa jr, 'take the SOB's out'. You didn't care. If you don't stand up to a thug when someone else is threatened, that thug will soon enough, come after you.