• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Use Android-Style Multitasking with Android Recent Apps


    Although ModMyi specializes and tends to focus on iOS, iDevices, and Apple, one can agree that there are components of other operating systems (computer and mobile) that are somewhat intriguing to the user. Even those who are avid Apple enthusiasts. In this case, a major competitor in the mobile operating system world is Android. Since there are pros and cons to everything, there are some parts of Android that are interesting and others that are not highly favored in the iOS world. One such popular focus whether you are an Android or iOS user is the multitasking system. Each one is different and unique in its own way - whether you like the iOS or Android version is personal preference. In the case of iOS, if you're a jail breaker, you can get "best of both worlds" if you will. A recently released application, Android Recent Apps by Fr0zen Sun (@Fr0zenSun) brings an alternative Android-like multitasking system to iOS.

    As shown in the picture above, when you activate Android Recent Apps, it brings up a small box with all the recent applications. From there, you just tap the application you wish to go to and it launches. Even within applications, the box appears over the window - you get easy access quickly. To exit the overlay, just tap the "X" button. Because Android Recent Apps requires Activator, it does not have to replace the native iOS multitasking system. If you choose to do so, it is your choice but initially you can have both.

    There are currently no settings to configure and it works as soon as you install. Android Recent Apps' default activation is a short hold on the Home button. However you can easily change that inside Activator. The only con I can see at this point is that you can't kill running applications inside Android Recent Apps (it's on its way). Other then that, it is a cool multitasking alternative.

    There are many different multitasking options out there when it comes to a jailbroken iOS, but if this suits your fancy, give it a shot! It is available on Cydia now for $1.49. It runs on all devices (although he mentioned that it doesn't seem to run well on the iPad) and firmwares 4.0+ (with the exception of iOS 5).

    Name: Android Recent Apps
    Author: Fr0zen Sun
    Version: 1.0-1
    Price: $1.49



    In the process of reviewing this tweak, I was able to interview Fr0zen Sun (who I later found to be named Ryan) and asked him a few questions about his work with Android Recent Apps.

    JOSH: Other then the fact that it is inspired by the Android OS, what gave you the incentive to do this tweak over other ideas?
    RYAN: I don't like the fact that the App Switcher is limited to 4 apps per page making it so that it is harder and takes longer to switch in between apps quickly.

    JOSH: How long have you been working on this tweak?
    RYAN: I worked on this tweak for a few days. The idea is pretty simple but I plan to add settings options.

    JOSH: Do you have any future incorporations for Android Recent Apps?
    RYAN: I hope to add more options and make it so it can pretty much replace the multitasking switcher.

    JOSH: Are you working on any other projects you wish to speak about?
    RYAN: I am right now working on a project called SBWidgetPage. It allows you to toggle between the Spotlight view and a page full of widgets on the SpringBoard.

    JOSH: If anyone had any suggestions for how to make Android Recent Apps better, what is your best method of communication?
    RYAN: Contact me on Twitter (@fr0zensun) or email me at [email protected].

    Follow Ryan (@Fr0zenSun) on Twitter to keep up to date with Android Recent Apps and other projects by him.

    Source(s): Ryan (@Fr0zenSun)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Use Android-Style Multitasking with Android Recent Apps started by Joshua Tucker View original post
    Comments 17 Comments
    1. Macfreak7's Avatar
      Macfreak7 -
      I like Apple's implementation better. It's more consistent with swiping, for example the spring board. Besides, if we started caring about android (even if it's the good things) then we wouldn't be zealots anymore!
    1. r2t's Avatar
      r2t -
      inter rest ing
    1. norfskate's Avatar
      norfskate -
      Android can suck ma willy :-)
    1. gthugballin's Avatar
      gthugballin -
      i like it
    1. krosis's Avatar
      krosis -
      I'll stick with switchermod and multifl0w myself.

      It's great to see coverage of mods and tweaks but recently I feel you guys are grasping a bit. I know there's a balance between no coverage (which I don't want) and "spam," but paid apps like this, and openother+, and maybe one or two other recent ones.. I'm not sure that this is worthy of front page news.

      I'm not normally one to make a comment like that, and it's not meant as an insult, just providing some feedback. I'm still very interested in notice when you come across genuinely slick tweaks, mods, and themes.
    1. chile7236's Avatar
      chile7236 -
      android does have a lot of good things in it...it takes some getting used to after using the iP these past few years but i don't miss my iP4 so much now that i am used to getting around my Evo4G...
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      Been using it for a few hours now and so far so good. I find multiflow to be a little slow and intrusive. This app is only slightly different to the stock multi-switcher so on balance maybe paying for it is pushing me towards not recommending it. The app is very well made though, my compliments to the chef!
    1. 2k1's Avatar
      2k1 -
      I may have to git it a try?
    1. iPod's Avatar
      iPod -
      Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
      I'll stick with switchermod and multifl0w myself.

      It's great to see coverage of mods and tweaks but recently I feel you guys are grasping a bit. I know there's a balance between no coverage (which I don't want) and "spam," but paid apps like this, and openother+, and maybe one or two other recent ones.. I'm not sure that this is worthy of front page news.

      I'm not normally one to make a comment like that, and it's not meant as an insult, just providing some feedback. I'm still very interested in notice when you come across genuinely slick tweaks, mods, and themes.
      if you don't like the news, then don't read it. No one is forcing you to come to ModMyi. And I don't see you posting front page news soooo...

      Anyways thanks Josh this is a really cool tweak
    1. 2k1's Avatar
      2k1 -
      +1^^^^^
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by chile7236 View Post
      android does have a lot of good things in it...it takes some getting used to after using the iP these past few years but i don't miss my iP4 so much now that i am used to getting around my Evo4G...
      I just got the LG Thrill yesterday and its amazing., I still have a year left on my iPhone 4 contract but when its over I'm done with iOS.

      Right out of the box I get everything I jailbroke my iPhone 4 for plus I have a larger screen, 3D, USB & HDMI.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
      if you don't like the news, then don't read it. No one is forcing you to come to ModMyi. And I don't see you posting front page news soooo...
      How can he decide that he doesn't like the news if he doesn't read it first? Hmmm....now there's a thought. We're all entitled to feedback and our opinions as long as it's within the rules.

      And there are plenty of people who are capable of locating "front page news" long before this site ever gets ahold of it....but they don't post it because they are not staff writers.

      So here's a thought for you......if you don't want people to read or respond to news that they don't like....then why are you responding to comments you don't like?
    1. iPod's Avatar
      iPod -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      How can he decide that he doesn't like the news if he doesn't read it first? Hmmm....now there's a thought. We're all entitled to feedback and our opinions as long as it's within the rules.

      And there are plenty of people who are capable of locating "front page news" long before this site ever gets ahold of it....but they don't post it because they are not staff writers.

      So here's a thought for you......if you don't want people to read or respond to news that they don't like....then why are you responding to comments you don't like?
      Fair enough
    1. Joshua Tucker's Avatar
      Joshua Tucker -
      Guys, let's act civil come on now. Let's not be children and act like mature adults (or I guess if you are children, act mature).

      As you know already I'm sure, I specialize in jailbreak tweaks, news, and that sort of thing. My job is to present information about new and upcoming tweaks, along with news about other jailbreak-related information. That requires me to be on Cydia reviewing tweaks as they come up or splurge on what I'm testing.

      You must remember that even though you may not see value in these tweaks, there are people out there that may see value in them. There will probably be tweaks that you guys like that others will say "Well why is that? That's stupid" or whatever. It is not right at any time to simply bash one another directly. You can disagree about different things, but disagree on the principle or idea, not the person.
    1. Chris3k2's Avatar
      Chris3k2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      I just got the LG Thrill yesterday and its amazing., I still have a year left on my iPhone 4 contract but when its over I'm done with iOS.

      Right out of the box I get everything I jailbroke my iPhone 4 for plus I have a larger screen, 3D, USB & HDMI.
      Not trying to bash or insult you or the phone but the 3D phones out there don't seem to be all that great. A couple of my friends have the evo 3D but honestly it looks more like that pictures are holographic rather than 3D. Is the lg's better?

      And the tweak seems like it's pretty cool. As soon as he adds the ability to close/end the apps i'll give it a go. It's always nice to have variety and be able to support the jailbreak community.
    1. jailer's Avatar
      jailer -
      Does this work on 5?
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
      As you know already I'm sure, I specialize in jailbreak tweaks, news, and that sort of thing.
      Oh yeh! Keep 'em coming Josh!


      Edit: So I've been using for a little while now. 2 improvements.

      1. A bigger 'x'. I keep pressing the first app instead :s
      2. If the removeBG app in SB settings works for it, it would be great!