• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • United Airlines Deploying Thousands of iPads in Their Cockpits


    Last spring, MMi reported that Alaska Airlines had begin issuing iPads to their pilots instead of the 25-pound paper flight manuals that had been required in the cockpit. At the time, AA was poised to become the first major domestic airline to make the switch to completely electronic manuals.

    Alaska Airlines now has some company (in addition to American Airlines and Delta).

    United Airlines today announced that it is converting to paperless flight decks and deploying 11,000 iPads to all United and Continental pilots. "The electronic flight bags (EFB) replace paper flight manuals, and as a first for major network carriers, provide pilots with paperless aeronautical navigational charts through an iPad app," the company said in a press release this morning.

    Distribution of the tablets began earlier this month, "and all pilots will have them by year end."

    "The paperless flight deck represents the next generation of flying," said Captain Fred Abbott, United's senior vice president of flight operations. "The introduction of iPads ensures our pilots have essential and real-time information at their fingertips at all times throughout the flight."

    According to details provided in the announcement, pilots will use Jeppesen Mobile FliteDeck, "the industry's premier app featuring interactive, data-driven enroute navigation information and worldwide geo-referenced terminal charts. The enhanced full-color, high-quality information display ensures the right information is displayed at the right time."

    Source: United Airlines
    This article was originally published in forum thread: United Airlines Deploying Thousands of iPads in Their Cockpits started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
    1. TheOrioles33's Avatar
      TheOrioles33 -
      Thousands of iPads in the cockpit? There wont be any room for the crew!!

      Why not an HP Touchpad or a Samsung Galaxy?
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      And if the app crashes and won't open or the iPad has a heart attack.....then what? I'll get on a flight to San Francisco and end up in Yugoslavia?

      Buying an entire iPad for a singular purpose such as ONE app seems a little excessive IMO.
    1. iphonogasm's Avatar
      iphonogasm -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
      Thousands of iPads in the cockpit? There wont be any room for the crew!!

      Why not an HP Touchpad or a Samsung Galaxy?
      ???
    1. Bouzo's Avatar
      Bouzo -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      And if the app crashes and won't open or the iPad has a heart attack.....then what? I'll get on a flight to San Francisco and end up in Yugoslavia?

      Buying an entire iPad for a singular purpose such as ONE app seems a little excessive IMO.
      I know your post was "in your opinion" so I'll give you some insight to your innocent ignorance.

      The average pilot carries an average of 33 lbs of jepp charts and other aviation documents with him/her in their flight bag every day they fly.

      At my company, multiply by that 2 (2 pilots per aircraft) and then multiply that by approx. 1350 flights PER DAY and that comes out over 89 000 lbs of excess weight carried PER DAY.

      A pilot carrying an ipad trims that number from 89 000 lbs to 4050 lbs per day. In our business weight = FUEL and our bean counters have already calculated that this change equates to $7 million a year SAVED in fuel bills! The subscription costs are also diminshed as we do 2 paper updates to all of our books per month which can now be done wirelessly.

      I have a feeling that when you buy 3000 ipads at once, apple gives you a bit of a break, so lets say approx. $600 000 to buy each of us an iPad (over 3000 pilots), is it still worth it? You bet it is!
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bouzo View Post
      I know your post was "in your opinion" so I'll give you some insight to your innocent ignorance.

      The average pilot carries an average of 33 lbs of jepp charts and other aviation documents with him/her in their flight bag every day they fly.

      At my company, multiply by that 2 (2 pilots per aircraft) and then multiply that by approx. 1350 flights PER DAY and that comes out over 89 000 lbs of excess weight carried PER DAY.

      A pilot carrying an ipad trims that number from 89 000 lbs to 4050 lbs per day. In our business weight = FUEL and our bean counters have already calculated that this change equates to $7 million a year SAVED in fuel bills! The subscription costs are also diminshed as we do 2 paper updates to all of our books per month which can now be done wirelessly.

      I have a feeling that when you buy 3000 ipads at once, apple gives you a bit of a break, so lets say approx. $600 000 to buy each of us an iPad (over 3000 pilots), is it still worth it? You bet it is!
      Fair enough.
    1. Bouzo's Avatar
      Bouzo -
      ya the numbers are pretty staggering when you do the math. As for the iPad's crashing (no pun intended!) I thought apple devices never crashed! Just joking, for redundency each pilot will have their own so there's always 2 in the cockpit.
    1. R.Mortera's Avatar
      R.Mortera -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
      Thousands of iPads in the cockpit? There wont be any room for the crew!!

      Why not an HP Touchpad or a Samsung Galaxy?
      Actually just 2 or 3 in the cockpit. Lol not thousands.

      Why not iPad ?
    1. bigstevep's Avatar
      bigstevep -
      I wonder if they will let me read my eBook and listen to my music during take off and landing now. I promise to keep my tray table up and have my seat in the full upright locked position! LMAO
    1. PaKi619's Avatar
      PaKi619 -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
      Thousands of iPads in the cockpit? There wont be any room for the crew!!

      Why not an HP Touchpad or a Samsung Galaxy?
      because iPads are much faster than other tablets and their touchscreen is brilliant.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by PaKi619 View Post
      because iPads are much faster than other tablets and their touchscreen is brilliant.
      Perhaps. If you happen to get one that doesn't have light leakage problems.