• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS 4.2: Smoother and (A Little) Faster on iPhone 3G
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyt97kowyTA&[/ame]


    With iOS 4.2 set to drop as soon as this week, hopes are high for stability and performance improvements, especially on older hardware, and some tests of the iOS 4.2 golden master on the iPhone 3G are showing encouraging signs of improvement. TiPB ran through a comparison of iPhone 3.2 versus iOS 4.0 and iOS 4.2 in the video above, and felt it showed better speed and smoothness. My own experience is a little less dramatic, but it's obvious that significant work has been done to make the new "grand unified" firmware work more smoothly on older devices.

    TiPB noticed bad scrolling lags and jumpy responsiveness when typing, which are pretty common complaints. My own 3G - bought on the first day of release back in 2008 - performed similarly poorly with 4.02, and I've pretty much ignored the old brick ever since I got my iPhone 4. (Plans to load Android on it for chuckles just never materialized.) I did a few tests for a baseline: The ModMyi app loaded in ten seconds, and Doom II RPG took 13 seconds to get to the splash screen. Though I know it's not ready for 4.2 yet, I baselined Cydia as well: 5 seconds from double-tap to the "Loading Data..." message, and another agonizing 20 before the Home screen comes up. I figured it'll be interesting to compare once the final update is released.

    I had to get 4.1 along the way anyway so that I could jailbreak the golden master, so I loaded it on the 3G and did a comparison: speeds and smoothness were pretty much identical, as I'd expected. So I was really looking forward to see some change with 4.2, but unfortunately the difference was... well, underwhelming. There's no doubt that the UI lost the lagginess it had with 4.02 and 4.1, and things like typing are much smoother, but it's still pretty slow. Maybe if I used my 3G on a daily basis, I'd appreciate the improvements more. I guess I'd just call it an evolution rather than a revolution, but that's still good, right?

    Anyway, I don't know if this going to be enough to get the lady who's suing Apple to back down, but there's enough here to recommend it to anyone who's still rocking their iPhone 3G. Given that golden masters are almost always binary equivalent to the released code, this bodes pretty well for owners of older devices.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 4.2: Smoother and (A Little) Faster on iPhone 3G started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 50 Comments
    1. eddiele76's Avatar
      eddiele76 -
      iphone 3g is awful on iOS 4.X firmware. and if its jailbroken its just that much worse. ive helped several friends jailbreak their 3g's and they always hated it even more after jailbreak. bc of course they all want multi tasking and all that. but oh well. hopefully 4.2 will be a graet improvement for the older model 3G
    1. eddietah's Avatar
      eddietah -
      Thanks for sharing
    1. eelpout's Avatar
      eelpout -
      Nothing can change the limited amount of memory the 3G has* and how Apple and 3rd party developers are increasingly ignoring the constraints of 128 MB.

      * except for the virtual RAM hack.
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      I'm actually ticked off at Steve jobs for implementing my idea in 4.2

      Yes im talking about the 3GS & iPad i couldn't find the correct thread but close Enough

      I emailed him awhile back stating that it should be possible to change the brightness and 3G on off in multitasking in a UI overlay

      Yes 4.2 delivers this for the iPad(but not 3G on off) pfffff

      but suck when he only introduced volume keys on the iPhone multitask, the volume is on the side Steve we don't need a scroll bar give us brightness instead retard

      And plus give credit for the idea I didn't get an email or anything but whatever as long as you do implement it CORRECTLY then I'll be happy

      Hopefully a jailbreak will fix Apples mistake
    1. tw1zt3d's Avatar
      tw1zt3d -
      i don't even care about multitasking or the folders thing...but i have apps that either don't work, or work like ish because i'm still on 3.1.xx. i haven't bother to go up cause every time i read about a new fw coming out, the consensus is that it fouls up the 3G
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by tw1zt3d View Post
      i don't even care about multitasking or the folders thing...but i have apps that either don't work, or work like ish because i'm still on 3.1.xx. i haven't bother to go up cause every time i read about a new fw coming out, the consensus is that it fouls up the 3G
      Well 4.2 should be smoother but what I would do is go watch YouTube videos on it to see and compare it to the speed of 4.1 on YouTube
    1. sharrack's Avatar
      sharrack -
      The last reports that I read were that 4.1 glitches with the 3G
      were fixed....so I finally upgraded to it.
      No problems with battery life or performance.
      Too many apps are no longer compatible with older os's
    1. unit057's Avatar
      unit057 -
      Considering, pretty much the only difference on an iPhone 3G on iO.S 4 and 3.X is a fancy dock, why is the speed soooooooooooo slow?

      (Even with the features that dragged their way to the iPhone 3G like Folders and a better spell checker)
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      I'm actually ticked off at Steve jobs for implementing my idea in 4.2

      Yes im talking about the 3GS & iPad i couldn't find the correct thread but close Enough

      I emailed him awhile back stating that it should be possible to change the brightness and 3G on off in multitasking in a UI overlay

      Yes 4.2 delivers this for the iPad(but not 3G on off) pfffff

      but suck when he only introduced volume keys on the iPhone multitask, the volume is on the side Steve we don't need a scroll bar give us brightness instead retard

      And plus give credit for the idea I didn't get an email or anything but whatever as long as you do implement it CORRECTLY then I'll be happy

      Hopefully a jailbreak will fix Apples mistake
      Well if you were a PC then you could have had your gratification of offering up ideas. Apple takes things from others and pats themselves on the back for releasing it slightly altered.
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      Well if you were a PC then you could have had your gratification of offering up ideas. Apple takes things from others and pats themselves on the back for releasing it slightly altered.
      Yep what can u do it's the bigger guy pushing the people with ideas into the dirt, should we all go and try to make the android better?

      Steve Jobs is not the reason why the iPhone got better nor is he l the reason why it's a success the people are, we give him ideas to introduce what we want and because they have to slightly change our idea it ends up as SUCK

      What they should do is allow for album quick select song in multitask side bar there not using 90% of the screen when in the play music multitask section idiots