• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • German Court to Hear Samsung-Apple Dispute on August 25th


    On Tuesday, MMi reported that Apple has been granted a preliminary injunction against Samsung's Android-based Galaxy Tab 10.1., the result of which leaves the tablet effectively barred from distribution across most of the European Union.

    A few hours ago, the Wall Street Journal confirmed that Samsung will go to court on August 25th to appeal the aforementioned decision, which - for obvious reasons - stands to hurt Samsung's business across the majority of the European continent.

    The device--released earlier this summer, and which runs on Google Inc.'s Android operating system--is widely considered to be the most promising competitor to Apple's iPad, which has dominated the market since its release last year. Apple claims Samsung copied its products.
    Naturally, the recent ruling did not sit well with Samsung and the company "looks forward to defending itself at the upcoming hearing." Regardless, Apple maintains that the Galaxy Tab is a blatant iPad rip-off that violates Apple's intellectual property.

    Despite the high-profile legal wrangling across Europe, Apple is similarly seeking a comparable preliminary injunction against Samsung over the Galaxy Tab in Australia. For now, Samsung is holding off on launching the tablet "Down Under" until that matter is resolved.

    Source: WSJ
    This article was originally published in forum thread: German Court to Hear Samsung-Apple Dispute on August 25th started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 34 Comments
    1. BlackRaider's Avatar
      BlackRaider -
      Quote Originally Posted by PolishHacker View Post
      The only person that's brain dead is yourself, how about you delete your account of Modmyi and join some other ga*y fan site like Samsung, Windows etc. It people like you that disgust me for even being on this website, grow some balls and leave this website if all you do is write BS!, You are probably just too poor to afford any Apple products, so thats why you spend your valuable time writing BS and trashing Apple.

      i dont like any company in particular, i like products. if i like a RIM tablet over the xoom or ipad, im gonna get the RIM, i dont give a **** who made, as long as i like it. sorry for not being a fanboy/fangirl, but i like a veriaty in life.


      oh so modmyi is a ga*y fan site as well huh?

      also, the ipad is gient compared the the smaller tablets. learn some ****
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      if you think that Samsung Copied the iPad 2, then take a look at this Samsung digital picture frame stores pics, movies, music -- Engadget which was released back in 2006 !! looks familiar doesn't it?

      I swear I wish I was one of Google's patent lawyers. after showing the judge the above device, Id show him the following devices.

      2006: Samsung Q1
      2007:Samsung Q2 UMPC
      2008: Samsung Q1 Ultra UMPC
      2009: Samsung Q1EX UMPC
      2010: Samsung Galaxy Tab
      2011: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

      your honor, what you see here is a design Samsung has been busy with for a minimum of 4 years before there ever was such a thing as an iPad, In fact your honor, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 evolved directly from the Q1EX, the Galaxy Tab and pays homage to the "look and feel" of their picture frame.

      then Id sit back and watch Apple's patent lawyers scratch their heads preparing their rebuttal that Samsung has copied the "look and feel" of the iPad.

      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Apple really are the dark side in this battle alright.
      if you think that Samsung Copied the iPad 2, then take a look at this Samsung digital picture frame stores pics, movies, music -- Engadget which was released back in 2006 !! looks familiar doesn't it?

      I swear I wish I was one of Google's patent lawyers. after showing the judge the above device, Id show him the following devices.

      2006: Samsung Q1
      2007:Samsung Q2 UMPC
      2008: Samsung Q1 Ultra UMPC
      2009: Samsung Q1EX UMPC
      2010: Samsung Galaxy Tab
      2011: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

      your honor, what you see here is a design Samsung has been busy with for a minimum of 4 years before there ever was such a thing as an iPad, In fact your honor, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 evolved directly from the Q1EX, the Galaxy Tab and pays homage to the "look and feel" of their picture frame.

      then Id sit back and watch Apple's patent lawyers scratch their heads preparing their rebuttal that Samsung has copied the "look and feel" of the iPad.
    1. DirkAloha's Avatar
      DirkAloha -
      I looked at each of the models you posted. The first four are bricks. They look nothing like either iPad 1st Gen or the iPad 2 and of course the Galaxy Tabs. Probably didn't sell well either. The Samsung Galaxy Tab looks like the iPad 1st Gen....imagine that. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 also looks like the iPad 2.....funny isn't it. Now the question is why didn't Samsung continue making the previous brick models?.....they are original Samsung designs. When Apple presented the original iPad there was a lot speculation that it wouldn't do well. Did Samsung release the Galaxy Tab then? No they didn't because it didn't exist. Samsung released it in the US November 2010. Apple released the iPad April 2010 and annouced it Janaury 27, 2010.
      Your defense is lacking.
    1. thumper_net's Avatar
      thumper_net -
      When will the makers of the photo displays sue apple for staling the look they have , which if you switch off an ipad and put it next to them looks the same, apple are just trying to kill android as its more popular on mobile devices than ios , all apple are doing is hurting development and in the end will loose all the well ernt respect it has , i love apple products but now hate the company. There is room for all systems in the mobile world , and choice shoulx be allowed , even cnet which love apple are now saying the company is going too far with its actions , i have seen a galaxy tab 10.1 and it does not look or feel anything like an ipad 1or 2 , all apple are doing is making people want a galaxy tab , so in the end they will hurt the ipad sales
    1. LukeGab's Avatar
      LukeGab -
      This article image is an epic fail. Get some professionals, MMi.
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by DirkAloha View Post
      I looked at each of the models you posted. The first four are bricks. They look nothing like either iPad 1st Gen or the iPad 2 and of course the Galaxy Tabs. Probably didn't sell well either. The Samsung Galaxy Tab looks like the iPad 1st Gen....imagine that. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 also looks like the iPad 2.....funny isn't it. Now the question is why didn't Samsung continue making the previous brick models?.....they are original Samsung designs. When Apple presented the original iPad there was a lot speculation that it wouldn't do well. Did Samsung release the Galaxy Tab then? No they didn't because it didn't exist. Samsung released it in the US November 2010. Apple released the iPad April 2010 and annouced it Janaury 27, 2010.
      Your defense is lacking.
      you obviously dont have an honest bone in your body. the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks exactly like the Samsung Photo Frame. the iPad looks exactly like the Samsung Photo Frame, if you deny this then not only are you dishonest but you're probably just an ignorant moron who will go on and on about this.

      you say the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks like the first gen ipad ?? look at the ipad, the galaxy tab and the Q1EX, the tab looks like the Q1EX which was released in 2009. look at the Samsung Photo Frame from the front, if the words Samsung wasnt on the front, you would think that that was the Tab 10.1 and the photo frame came out 4 years before an ipad.

      If I photoshop out the words Samsung from the photo frame, you and 100 other dummies would think it was an iPad but then when you're told its a Samsung product from 2006 you come back with the lame arguments about it being a brick, it didnt sell well, blah blah blah.

      there is a reason why Android phones are outselling apple by almost 2 to 1., there is a reason why Android tablets have taken a 20% (some say 30%) chunk out of apple's 90% in just one year !! they're better. they offer choice and they're loaded with features you will never find on an apple idevice.

      everything about Android is growing at a phenomenal rate, from its smartphone market share to its tablet market share to its app store growth rate which is something like in the hundreds of percent.

      these numbers are not the numbers you would get from an inferior product, you and steve jobs know it.
    1. mustard05's Avatar
      mustard05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      you obviously dont have an honest bone in your body. the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks exactly like the Samsung Photo Frame. the iPad looks exactly like the Samsung Photo Frame, if you deny this then not only are you dishonest but you're probably just an ignorant moron who will go on and on about this.

      you say the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks like the first gen ipad ?? look at the ipad, the galaxy tab and the Q1EX, the tab looks like the Q1EX which was released in 2009. look at the Samsung Photo Frame from the front, if the words Samsung wasnt on the front, you would think that that was the Tab 10.1 and the photo frame came out 4 years before an ipad.

      If I photoshop out the words Samsung from the photo frame, you and 100 other dummies would think it was an iPad but then when you're told its a Samsung product from 2006 you come back with the lame arguments about it being a brick, it didnt sell well, blah blah blah.

      there is a reason why Android phones are outselling apple by almost 2 to 1., there is a reason why Android tablets have taken a 20% (some say 30%) chunk out of apple's 90% in just one year !! they're better. they offer choice and they're loaded with features you will never find on an apple idevice.

      everything about Android is growing at a phenomenal rate, from its smartphone market share to its tablet market share to its app store growth rate which is something like in the hundreds of percent.

      these numbers are not the numbers you would get from an inferior product, you and steve jobs know it.
      Did it feel good to let that number 2 out?
    1. merismus's Avatar
      merismus -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      you obviously dont have an honest bone in your body. the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks exactly like the Samsung Photo Frame. the iPad looks exactly like the Samsung Photo Frame, if you deny this then not only are you dishonest but you're probably just an ignorant moron who will go on and on about this.

      you say the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks like the first gen ipad ?? look at the ipad, the galaxy tab and the Q1EX, the tab looks like the Q1EX which was released in 2009. look at the Samsung Photo Frame from the front, if the words Samsung wasnt on the front, you would think that that was the Tab 10.1 and the photo frame came out 4 years before an ipad.

      If I photoshop out the words Samsung from the photo frame, you and 100 other dummies would think it was an iPad but then when you're told its a Samsung product from 2006 you come back with the lame arguments about it being a brick, it didnt sell well, blah blah blah.

      there is a reason why Android phones are outselling apple by almost 2 to 1., there is a reason why Android tablets have taken a 20% (some say 30%) chunk out of apple's 90% in just one year !! they're better. they offer choice and they're loaded with features you will never find on an apple idevice.

      everything about Android is growing at a phenomenal rate, from its smartphone market share to its tablet market share to its app store growth rate which is something like in the hundreds of percent.

      these numbers are not the numbers you would get from an inferior product, you and steve jobs know it.
      Bro, i could not agree more with you, thanks for putting all these words here on "modmyi" as you just posted what i wanted to put down here as a reply!!!

      Great post!!
    1. toukale's Avatar
      toukale -
      Quote Originally Posted by EVILFRED View Post
      Apple sucks... I am just mad that I am a developer for them.
      Then, stop developing for them, and see how much money you'll lose. This is not even a patent case but a trademark one. People trademark things like this all the time. Logos, names, shape of their products. This is a market apple essentially created. 18 months ago, people made fun of then when ipad was released. Essentially they all laugh saying it was a big iphone. Now with all the ipad success, everyone is jumping in with me too products. Too bad for them, because apple trademark the look and shape of the ipad. They are not doing anything illegal here, just defending their turf.

      Quote Originally Posted by jrrtps View Post
      In my opinion Apple is going so further with this, they have to think that they depends 100% from Asianīs part and Koreanīs parts if suddenly they are piss with this situation they can stop to supply parts to Apple and ……. F… Apple, or the other tablets and phone manufactures ( a lot of them) can join together against Apple and this will be really bad for all ….
      You obviously have no idea about how business work. Why would they do that. Apple is most likely their biggest customer. You think they want to lose this account because their are pissed.
    1. bish0p34's Avatar
      bish0p34 -
      Quote Originally Posted by DirkAloha View Post
      If Apple wins then Samsung and the other companies will have to develop their own device. That's competition. For example Apple refused to make the iPad smaller. Steve Jobs predicted that a 7" pad was too small. Dell and RIM didn't think so and now they are realizing they should have researched before spitting out a worthless device.

      But then again why am bothering explaining this to you. Obviously you think it's ok to steal ideas or copy. In the end the courts will decide, not you or I.
      Obviously Steve Jobs thinks it's ok to steal ideas too. He's been quoted saying it many times about how shameless he is when he does it. IOS 5 is becoming a lot like Android with the new notification system, and the look of their new voice-to-text feature. Let's see what else they "borrow". Apple isn't the most innovative company, they just "borrow" other peoples ideas or buy them from other companies. They're great at marketing it though.

      iOS and Facetime Apple licenses iOS trademark from Cisco; purchases FaceTime trademark flat out*|*Edible Apple

      I have a Samsung Galaxy phone, and an iPhone4. There's no confusing the two, although the original iPhone looks a lot like a previously existing Samsung phone. Log In | Facebook

      I understand that innovation comes through inspiration. Even using other people's ideas. That's life. Listen to popular music, and you hear it all the time. It just looks really shameful on Apple's part that they're crying about Android's growth by doing what they've been doing for years.

      P.S. They're going after Motorola for the Zoom now too. They even went after a company last year for making a round projector and calling it the Video Pod, saying they own the word Pod.
      Apple sues startup over "pod" name | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
      Funny, Line 6 has been making Pod products for guitar since 95ish. I wonder who really owns that?
    1. DirkAloha's Avatar
      DirkAloha -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      you obviously dont have an honest bone in your body. the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks exactly like the Samsung Photo Frame. the iPad looks exactly like the Samsung Photo Frame, if you deny this then not only are you dishonest but you're probably just an ignorant moron who will go on and on about this.

      you say the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks like the first gen ipad ?? look at the ipad, the galaxy tab and the Q1EX, the tab looks like the Q1EX which was released in 2009. look at the Samsung Photo Frame from the front, if the words Samsung wasnt on the front, you would think that that was the Tab 10.1 and the photo frame came out 4 years before an ipad.

      If I photoshop out the words Samsung from the photo frame, you and 100 other dummies would think it was an iPad but then when you're told its a Samsung product from 2006 you come back with the lame arguments about it being a brick, it didnt sell well, blah blah blah.

      there is a reason why Android phones are outselling apple by almost 2 to 1., there is a reason why Android tablets have taken a 20% (some say 30%) chunk out of apple's 90% in just one year !! they're better. they offer choice and they're loaded with features you will never find on an apple idevice.

      everything about Android is growing at a phenomenal rate, from its smartphone market share to its tablet market share to its app store growth rate which is something like in the hundreds of percent.

      these numbers are not the numbers you would get from an inferior product, you and steve jobs know it.
      You're comparing an Apple iPad with a Samsung photo frame. Are you an idiot?!
      The reason Android phones are outselling iPhones is because the cell carriers offer them at discount rates or bundle them 2 for 1. Again you must be an idiot.

      Apple is the leader in innovation. Samsung is a follower.

      "tablet market share to its app store growth rate which is something like in the..." Where do you get this?! iPads are outselling any tablet out there. Apple has the lead.

      Obviously you're a droid lover. Keep playing with it. I'll keep using Apple devices because I can afford them.

      By the way, moron, Apple first developed the iPad before the iPhone.

      "Jobs later said that Apple began developing the iPad before the iPhone, but temporarily shelved the effort upon realizing that its ideas would work just as well in a mobile phone"
    1. HCWHunter's Avatar
      HCWHunter -
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackRaider View Post
      i like the "small" tablets. it feels better then a giant *** ipad, and i like the OS on them.


      and the "idea" here apple is saying they copied is a rectangle. A RECTANGLE.

      if a rectangle works as an innovative idea, 2012 needs to be the real end of the world. cause humanity is useless and brain dead.
      Well, maybe you and about a few dozen other people like the small tablets because they aren't selling very well.

      The suit is about a lot more than just a rectangle and you know it. Apple is going after Samsung because Samsung used their supplier position and knowledge of the iPhone/iPad specs to get a headstart copying those products. Apple is already lining up other suppliers to produce parts. Samsung is going to lose in more ways than one for biting the hand that feeds them.

      You are entitled to your opinion, silly as it may be.
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Things are about to get interesting.,

      Google to gobble up Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Biggest buyout ever could knock Apple's iPhone from its perch ! Official Google Blog: Supercharging Android: Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

      Things are about to get interesting.,

      Google to gobble up Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Biggest buyout ever could knock Apple's iPhone from its perch ! Official Google Blog: Supercharging Android: Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

      Quote Originally Posted by DirkAloha View Post
      You're comparing an Apple iPad with a Samsung photo frame. Are you an idiot?!
      The reason Android phones are outselling iPhones is because the cell carriers offer them at discount rates or bundle them 2 for 1. Again you must be an idiot.

      Apple is the leader in innovation. Samsung is a follower.

      "tablet market share to its app store growth rate which is something like in the..." Where do you get this?! iPads are outselling any tablet out there. Apple has the lead.

      Obviously you're a droid lover. Keep playing with it. I'll keep using Apple devices because I can afford them.

      By the way, moron, Apple first developed the iPad before the iPhone.

      "Jobs later said that Apple began developing the iPad before the iPhone, but temporarily shelved the effort upon realizing that its ideas would work just as well in a mobile phone"
      hey dumb @ss, owning an iPhone is not a status symbol., and I can afford them too, two off them in fact.

      I knew your response was going to be one of ignorance so let me break it down for you so its easier to digest.

      the IP laswsuit apple filed against Samsung is in regards to the 10.1 having the "look and feel of the ipad" what I post was information which you could Google for yourself and see that the 10.1 looks EXACTLY like a Samsung product from 2006 !!! so please tell me HTF could they have copied the ipad when the iPad did NOT even exist.

      the iPad looks EXACTLY like the Samsung Picture frame from the font.

      the reason Android phones are outselling iPhones is because people want;

      an open and more flexible OS
      use of their lock screen
      widgets
      dual core phones
      8mp cameras
      3D cameras
      Mini USB ports
      Micro SD card slots
      mini HDMI ports
      many different phones to choose from
      new phones to choose from every month
      the ability to install software on their devices from the web.

      they don't want;

      to be stuck with iTunes
      a closed and tightly controlled OS
      to have to jailbreak their phones voiding their warranty and rendering the phone buggy and laggy just so they can have basic features that come standard on Android phones.



      Breaking News,

      Apple may have tampered with evidence in case against Samsung.

      Did Apple tamper with evidence in the German Apple v. Samsung case? | Android Central
    1. HCWHunter's Avatar
      HCWHunter -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      you obviously dont have an honest bone in your body. the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks exactly like the Samsung Photo Frame. the iPad looks exactly like the Samsung Photo Frame, if you deny this then not only are you dishonest but you're probably just an ignorant moron who will go on and on about this.

      you say the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks like the first gen ipad ?? look at the ipad, the galaxy tab and the Q1EX, the tab looks like the Q1EX which was released in 2009. look at the Samsung Photo Frame from the front, if the words Samsung wasnt on the front, you would think that that was the Tab 10.1 and the photo frame came out 4 years before an ipad.

      If I photoshop out the words Samsung from the photo frame, you and 100 other dummies would think it was an iPad but then when you're told its a Samsung product from 2006 you come back with the lame arguments about it being a brick, it didnt sell well, blah blah blah.

      there is a reason why Android phones are outselling apple by almost 2 to 1., there is a reason why Android tablets have taken a 20% (some say 30%) chunk out of apple's 90% in just one year !! they're better. they offer choice and they're loaded with features you will never find on an apple idevice.

      everything about Android is growing at a phenomenal rate, from its smartphone market share to its tablet market share to its app store growth rate which is something like in the hundreds of percent.

      these numbers are not the numbers you would get from an inferior product, you and steve jobs know it.
      So you want to say that a photo frame (when it's unplugged & turned off) that is 1.5" thick with no touchscreen or OS or internal battery looks just like an iPad when it's also turned off? That's a whale of a stretch pal! Yeah, they are both rectangles with video screens but thats about it. Put them side by side and turn them both on and there's no comparison.

      Sure, Android is growing at a phenomenal rate. Going from 1% mkt. share to 3% mkt. share is a 200% increase! That's not that impressive when you are starting out in single digits. The reason the Android tablets, from all makers, are selling at all is because they copied the iPad and added some features. Apple will add those features too, in their planned marketing strategy as they continue to dominate the market and the profits in smartphones and tablets. Apple is successful because they were the first with the best.