• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Are Top Nintendo Games for iOS Inevitable?


    Pressure is mounting for Nintendo to bring a plethora of its most legendary and popular titles to the rival mobile gaming platform that Apple's iOS has become. As chronicled in great detail by Bloomberg on Thursday morning, investors are possessed of the mindset that Nintendo must now do what is "good for business" and expand deep into iPhone and iPad territory.

    In “Super Mario 3DLand,” Nintendo Co. will make its iconic Italian plumber battle turtle-like Koopa Troopas on its 3-D player. The company instead should develop titles for Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone, investors say.
    Investors and analysts alike are increasing pressure on Nintendo to branch out and take their titles to a place few would ever expect them to turn up. “Smartphones are the new battlefield for the gaming industry,” Masamitsu Ohki, a fund manager at Stats Investment Management Co., tells Bloomberg. “Nintendo should try to either buy its way into this platform or develop something totally new.”

    Sources close to Nintendo President Satoru Iwata say that the company is frustrated and confounded by the reality that consumers continue to "shun Nintendo devices" in order to more routinely and actively engage games on iPhones, iPads and even on Facebook.

    And Nintendo is bleeding cash as a result of its failure to compete with smartphones and social networks. "The flop of the 3DS debut prompted the company to cut prices 40 percent in Japan and 32 percent in the U.S., the first time the games developer has resorted to such a move within six months of a product’s debut," the Bloomberg

    Source: Bloomberg
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Are Top Nintendo Games for iOS Inevitable? started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 27 Comments
    1. cjgonzales1900's Avatar
      cjgonzales1900 -
      Nintendo would make so much money off games on iOS. I personally would love to play Mario on my iPhone and would probably buy every game that came out on the iPhone or iPad
    1. starkall's Avatar
      starkall -
      I want excite bike for my phone
    1. fatalcrixer's Avatar
      fatalcrixer -
      Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
      I want excite bike for my phone
      Can't you just get the emulator?
    1. Mysterion's Avatar
      Mysterion -
      Quote Originally Posted by fatalcrixer View Post
      Can't you just get the emulator?
      N64 emulator on iPhone 4 doesn't work.
    1. chrisangel13's Avatar
      chrisangel13 -
      playing mario kart with my friends through the iPhone's wifi or bluetooth, one can only hope
    1. iPod's Avatar
      iPod -
      Sweet. Tired of using emulators. Can't wait for games to be touchscreen ready and all
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Playing games that require a virtual controller are worthless IMO. My fingers don't stay in exactly the right spot so control sucks... it's frustrating.. and the virtual controls are never as accurate.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      I could see simpler games like Mario being a huge success, but I don't think things like Pokemon would work
    1. baRRy boRRis's Avatar
      baRRy boRRis -
      Wireless SNES controller with Super Mario World on the iPad would be mega!

      A more official version of this Bluetooth SNES Controller for Android: Gamers, Start Up Your Emulators - Technabob
    1. bstunt10190's Avatar
      bstunt10190 -
      Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
      I could see simpler games like Mario being a huge success, but I don't think things like Pokemon would work
      please explain this statement.
    1. DanieAndMe's Avatar
      DanieAndMe -
      Zelda!I Want Zelda!
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Nintendo would make money having their games on iOS.

      Will they ever bring their games to iOS? Will Apple bring Mac OS X to PCs? Or iOS to other Phones? No no and no.

      Anywho, 99% of the games are too complex. You would need physical buttons , NOT touch buttons.

      And Nintendo, at the moment, are not in the huge trouble people make it to be. The have been basically printing money for the last 6 years, and they had one quarter with a loss.
      If Apple had one quarter with loss today after the years of prosperity behind them, would people say it's time for them to pack it in?
    1. energiesource's Avatar
      energiesource -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Nintendo would make money having their games on iOS.

      Will they ever bring their games to iOS? Will Apple bring Mac OS X to PCs? Or iOS to other Phones? No no and no.

      Anywho, 99% of the games are too complex. You would need physical buttons , NOT touch buttons.

      And Nintendo, at the moment, are not in the huge trouble people make it to be. The have been basically printing money for the last 6 years, and they had one quarter with a loss.
      If Apple had one quarter with loss today after the years of prosperity behind them, would people say it's time for them to pack it in?
      What happened to Sega? Same thing. Dreamcast games were easy to burn and no one bought games, in turn, the system failed. Sega had to switch to making games for other consoles and went out of the console world. That is exactly whats happening with Nintendo. Would I like to see Goldeneye 64 on the iphone? Heck yes.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by energiesource View Post
      What happened to Sega? Same thing. Dreamcast games were easy to burn and no one bought games, in turn, the system failed. Sega had to switch to making games for other consoles and went out of the console world. That is exactly whats happening with Nintendo. Would I like to see Goldeneye 64 on the iphone? Heck yes.
      Sega had a string of under selling hardware, software and continuous losses. Nintendo are just finishing up with the best selling handheld of all time, the best selling console of all time, and pretty much the entire top 10 best selling software this generation. They are no where near what Sega was like.

      Yes the party is over with the DS and Wii, but they have a crap ton of money in the bank too. You'll see Nintendo games on a iOS when you see iOS on a Samsung phone.

      Good luck playing Goldeneye on your iPhone, it's gonna control AWESOME!
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      I don't think Nintendo wants to lower their prices to $.99-5 per game (the price range of the vast majority of games on iOS). If they wanted to do that, they'd do that on their current games on their current handhelds.
    1. Trex03's Avatar
      Trex03 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      I don't think Nintendo wants to lower their prices to $.99-5 per game (the price range of the vast majority of games on iOS). If they wanted to do that, they'd do that on their current games on their current handhelds.
      If Nintendo does end up porting and making games for the App Store, they would probably end up costing $7 and up, following in the footsteps of companies like Square Enix with their games going for $15 on the App Store and with Sega going for $7 and up.

      Anyway, if they do end up making games for the iPhone, Nintendo won't die or lose its name, the 3DS still has better graphics than iOS, not to mention the 3D. Also the upcoming Wii U looks amazing and is sure to impress.

      This rumor actually excites me because although i have a 3DS, sometimes i don't need the 3D (and crappy battery life) and just want a small device to play a quick nintendo game on.
    1. Mysterion's Avatar
      Mysterion -
      The Wii U looks like a good gadget.
    1. TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
      TheGrandFinale2001 -
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisangel13 View Post
      playing mario kart with my friends through the iPhone's wifi or bluetooth, one can only hope
      I can see this making a killing. This would be the one I would be looking for. Maybe Duckhunt. And if they could make Smash Bros. online work I would get that too.
    1. Mysterion's Avatar
      Mysterion -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandFinale2001 View Post
      I can see this making a killing. This would be the one I would be looking for. Maybe Duckhunt. And if they could make Smash Bros. online work I would get that too.
      Mario Kart
    1. desepticon's Avatar
      desepticon -
      They're going to have to realize soon that they've been SEGA'd. Nintendo titles would all be top sellers. If they could make Goldeneye64 for iPhone it would sell like hotcakes.