• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Speech-To-Text Feature in iOS 5 Revealed


    Apple has gone to great lengths in the latest version of the iOS 5 beta to make their implementation of a speech-to-text feature nary impossible to find.

    9to5Mac released a screenshot of an updated iOS 5 standard keyboard complete with a microphone button. The speech-to-text feature is incredibly simple to use. According to 9to5Mac:

    Just click the microphone icon next to the space key and start talking. Once the key is clicked, a new microphone overlay will appear as long as you are talking. After that, the text will appear in the text field
    MacRumors points out that Apple has given various pieces of the speech-to-text interface misleading aliases.

    For example, calling the microphone button "forward delete key" and the keyboard pretends to be a "Dvorak" keyboard. - MacRumors
    However, the impossible to find nature of the feature could mean Apple is hashing out a deal with Nuance still, or wants to announce the feature this fall with the release of iOS 5.

    Source: MacRumors, 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Speech-To-Text Feature in iOS 5 Revealed started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 38 Comments
    1. an0ther's Avatar
      an0ther -
      ok... so after all these post no one can tell us how to do this? I searched my phone for 20 min.
    1. javiert30's Avatar
      javiert30 -
      Sound like a good fearure for Trapster to take advantage of that code... to report traps without thouch the screen. You will see.
    1. Apple Head's Avatar
      Apple Head -
      Quote Originally Posted by an0ther View Post
      ok... so after all these post no one can tell us how to do this? I searched my phone for 20 min.
      It's in the internal settings, not usually accessible by the user
    1. SwatPac's Avatar
      SwatPac -
      Quote Originally Posted by an0ther View Post
      ok... so after all these post no one can tell us how to do this? I searched my phone for 20 min.
      I'm with you buddy. Either nobody knows or 9to5 Mac are the only people with the feature.
    1. bstunt10190's Avatar
      bstunt10190 -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      Being butthurt because I present a side of an opinionated argument that you do not agree and others do while attempting to make yourself seem more intelligent by googling a bunch of fancy words and slapping them together in a post does nothing to improve your argument or invalidate mine.

      When Apple does something truly remarkable besides their usual expected astronomical sales figures and iOS releases based on concepts taken from the jailbreak community......then I will give them their due credit. But right now all I am reading is stock predictions, a new mouse, more iOS 5 testing, and a bunch of rumors.
      u mad?
    1. Janet55's Avatar
      Janet55 -
      Exciting. I like this sweet feature!
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by bstunt10190 View Post
      u mad?
      Next.......
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      Next.......
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Copying off of Android, nice one Apple.
      Right...because Google is the first company ever to use speech to text technology. In a related note, I'm just as upset with Apple because they copied Nokia's use of touchtone technology in mobile phones.

      Seriously, come up with something original Jobs.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      And this means what.........
    1. GmAz's Avatar
      GmAz -
      Voice works amazing on Android. I use it to do voice searches all the time and getting gps locations. I've sent a few text messages too from voice. No need to type anything.

      Honestly, it can't be worse than the people with headsets on their heads.

      Just another 'feature' Apple is snagging from Android. Yay Apple's version of innovation.
    1. sp00nfedem1's Avatar
      sp00nfedem1 -
      can someone confirm or deny whether they got this up and working or is it a spoof?
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
      Voice works amazing on Android. I use it to do voice searches all the time and getting gps locations. I've sent a few text messages too from voice. No need to type anything.

      Honestly, it can't be worse than the people with headsets on their heads.

      Just another 'feature' Apple is snagging from Android. Yay Apple's version of innovation.
      Am I the only one not seeing how Apple is ripping off Android? Speech to text technology has been around for quite a while. Just because Android made is standard on their phones before Apple doesn't mean Apple is stealing ideas from Android.

      Keep in mind the iPhone was released long before any android phone, so I'm sure if we compared all features you'll find that 95% of the features on droid phones were on iPhones first.

      Ability to store large amounts of music? check.
      Built in GPS? check.
      No tactile keyboard? check.
      Check email? check.
      Apps? check.

      Now if Apple starts using something that Google/Android innovated themselves, then I'll agree that Apple is ripping ideas from them...but Google did not invent speech to tech technology. They simply put it in their phones before Apple did.
    1. MyPod93's Avatar
      MyPod93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
      Am I the only one not seeing how Apple is ripping off Android? Speech to text technology has been around for quite a while. Just because Android made is standard on their phones before Apple doesn't mean Apple is stealing ideas from Android.

      Keep in mind the iPhone was released long before any android phone, so I'm sure if we compared all features you'll find that 95% of the features on droid phones were on iPhones first.

      Ability to store large amounts of music? check.
      Built in GPS? check.
      No tactile keyboard? check.
      Check email? check.
      Apps? check.

      Now if Apple starts using something that Google/Android innovated themselves, then I'll agree that Apple is ripping ideas from them...but Google did not invent speech to tech technology. They simply put it in their phones before Apple did.

      Finally someone else agrees with me how its just two companies with a common technology being implemented on smart phones.

      As far as someone saying something about my post and how you must have big fingers to hit the speech button, its not that i have big fingers, its that when typing soo fast, i just expect to hit the space button somewhere down there. the same reason they made it big in the first place. haha
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post



      Ability to store large amounts of music? check.
      Built in GPS? check. Symbian and Windows Mobile had this First
      No tactile keyboard? check.
      Check email? check. Symbian and Windows Mobile had this First
      Apps? check. Symbian and Windows Mobile had this First
      Apple made the smart phone better. No doubt about it. Very few actual features were brand new when the iPhone launched.

      It would be silly to try and say that this feature isn't being added by Apple BECAUSE of the success of Android. It is a feature being used more than ever by Android users because it is implemented extremely well within Android. Is this ripping off? No, but it is taking advantage of a feature people use and love on another highly popular mobile OS.
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      Apple made the smart phone better. No doubt about it. Very few actual features were brand new when the iPhone launched.

      It would be silly to try and say that this feature isn't being added by Apple BECAUSE of the success of Android. It is a feature being used more than ever by Android users because it is implemented extremely well within Android. Is this ripping off? No, but it is taking advantage of a feature people use and love on another highly popular mobile OS.
      Yeah...I pretty much agree with you. I wasn't trying to say Apple was the first to use those features, I was simply saying Apple used them before Android.

      I do believe Apple would have eventually implemented speech to text anyway, so I wouldn't say they're doing it simply because it was successful on Android. I'm sure Jobs and his engineers/designers have many other features they want to implement, but are slowly releasing them with each iteration of the iPhone...it's just how he does things.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post

      I do believe Apple would have eventually implemented speech to text anyway, so I wouldn't say they're doing it simply because it was successful on Android. I'm sure Jobs and his engineers/designers have many other features they want to implement, but are slowly releasing them with each iteration of the iPhone...it's just how he does things.
      Apple, lately, has only been implementing things that people clearly want. They seem to look at the jailbreak community first (as this is a great sign of what features people want and is essentially free statistic fro Apple) but they also look at the competition, no doubt. A great example of this was MMS. Job's, in his own words, said that email was the future. With enough whining and complaining they added the feature and it has all but been forgotten that we DIDN'T have it for the longest time. Cut & paste shares a similar history.
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      Apple, lately, has only been implementing things that people clearly want. They seem to look at the jailbreak community first (as this is a great sign of what features people want and is essentially free statistic fro Apple) but they also look at the competition, no doubt. A great example of this was MMS. Job's, in his own words, said that email was the future. With enough whining and complaining they added the feature and it has all but been forgotten that we DIDN'T have it for the longest time. Cut & paste shares a similar history.
      A very good point. I wonder if the success of Vlingo also had something to do with the decision to include the text-to-speech option.