• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Speech-To-Text Feature in iOS 5 Revealed


    Apple has gone to great lengths in the latest version of the iOS 5 beta to make their implementation of a speech-to-text feature nary impossible to find.

    9to5Mac released a screenshot of an updated iOS 5 standard keyboard complete with a microphone button. The speech-to-text feature is incredibly simple to use. According to 9to5Mac:

    Just click the microphone icon next to the space key and start talking. Once the key is clicked, a new microphone overlay will appear as long as you are talking. After that, the text will appear in the text field
    MacRumors points out that Apple has given various pieces of the speech-to-text interface misleading aliases.

    For example, calling the microphone button "forward delete key" and the keyboard pretends to be a "Dvorak" keyboard. - MacRumors
    However, the impossible to find nature of the feature could mean Apple is hashing out a deal with Nuance still, or wants to announce the feature this fall with the release of iOS 5.

    Source: MacRumors, 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Speech-To-Text Feature in iOS 5 Revealed started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 38 Comments
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      nary impossible to find?
    1. Daerid's Avatar
      Daerid -
      Means difficult.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Exciting. Use this feature all the time on Android!
    1. CustomSS1's Avatar
      CustomSS1 -
      Sweeeet


      Although I probably wont use this while tavelling in public, coz I will look slightly retarded by looking on a display and talking to it and I bet the phone wont spell the right word everytime.

      Anyways, it seems like a great feature!
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      I'm on iOS 5 beta 5 and it's not there for me
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post


      I bet the phone wont spell the right word everytime.
      If it's anything like Android, it will be REALLY good. Super handy when entering gps directions and sending a quick text at a red light.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by Daerid View Post
      Means difficult.
      So which is it? Difficult or impossible?

    1. Chezcku's Avatar
      Chezcku -
      Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
      I'm on iOS 5 beta 5 and it's not there for me
      Mine to it would help to know where you get this to turn on or is it a fake.
    1. Phillip Swanson's Avatar
      Phillip Swanson -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      nary impossible to find?
      Nary, nearly, near,

      Its a play on old english babble. Nary means not one, or barely any. It doesn't fit perfectly, but like most slang or odd figures of speech it isn't exactly necessary.

      the glaring flaw in this process of teaching animals to use human language is that it is nary impossible to prove the animal is using ... - Discover Blog
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Copying off of Android, nice one Apple.
    1. themedream's Avatar
      themedream -
      wooo i often use this feature in my android phone but was missing this feature in ios wow
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Sweet now I can text and drive.
    1. MyPod93's Avatar
      MyPod93 -
      does anyone else not like having an interfering button that impedes on the size of the space button? That's why i don't use Emoji icons because the global keyboard option makes me accidentally switch when typing really fast,
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
      Nary, nearly, near,

      Its a play on old english babble. Nary means not one, or barely any. It doesn't fit perfectly, but like most slang or odd figures of speech it isn't exactly necessary.
      How about:

      When an opportunity to malign or to disperse opprobrium toward Apple may arise,
      one might find RICO_ most assiduously engaged, but when appears those chances for accolade or adulation,
      nary a whiff.
    1. blwallace5's Avatar
      blwallace5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      How about:
      lol
    1. SwatPac's Avatar
      SwatPac -
      HTF do I activate this feature? This seems like an April fools hole or something.
    1. R.Mortera's Avatar
      R.Mortera -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Copying off of Android, nice one Apple.
      Yup.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by MyPod93 View Post
      does anyone else not like having an interfering button that impedes on the size of the space button? That's why i don't use Emoji icons because the global keyboard option makes me accidentally switch when typing really fast,
      The space bar still look 3 normal keys wide. Gotta be really fat-fingering to mess that up. I'm sure we will see a cydia tweak that removes it if enough people find it to be a problem.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      How about:
      Being butthurt because I present a side of an opinionated argument that you do not agree and others do while attempting to make yourself seem more intelligent by googling a bunch of fancy words and slapping them together in a post does nothing to improve your argument or invalidate mine.

      When Apple does something truly remarkable besides their usual expected astronomical sales figures and iOS releases based on concepts taken from the jailbreak community......then I will give them their due credit. But right now all I am reading is stock predictions, a new mouse, more iOS 5 testing, and a bunch of rumors.
    1. GoldenGridiron's Avatar
      GoldenGridiron -
      This makes me happy. Ready for itouch 5G!