• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Cydia & iOS 4.2 Compatibility: Progress Report




    With all the talk about iOS 4.2 GM being released, many jailbreak users were beginning to fear a long delay for any 4.2 Jailbreak Tools, due to Cydia being incompatible with the latest, soon to be released, 4.2 Firmware.

    However, MuslceNerd has just tweeted a screenshot and states "Both @chpwn and @saurik have been burning the midnight oil prepping for updated version of Cydia http://is.gd/gJSa2". This should give some hope for users who were concerned about jailbrekaing iOS 4.2. It appears that it may be ready in time for the official release.

    Of course, no official updates or change notes have been release by Chpwn or Saurik, so all we can do is wait and enjoy this screenshot that teases a new dialog screen for choosing what type of user you are.

    I look forward to seeing the updates, and am excited to see how the UI has changed.

    OK so not really much of a progress report, but still a report nonetheless...




    Source: MuscleNerd (MuscleNerd) on Twitter
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Cydia & iOS 4.2 Compatibility: Progress Report started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 68 Comments
    1. Antman217's Avatar
      Antman217 -
      Cool.
    1. mardinn's Avatar
      mardinn -
      ^ Useless post.
      Looks like a nice change of UI I hope ;p
    1. Antman217's Avatar
      Antman217 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
      ^ Useless post.
      Looks like a nice change of UI I hope ;p
      Ok might as well say first! lol
    1. YoungDKP's Avatar
      YoungDKP -
      UI plus 1 indeed
    1. 5h4d0w's Avatar
      5h4d0w -
      So, does this mean Cydia will support multitasking soon? I hate how if I hit the home button by mistake or Cydia crashes, I have to wait for it to reload again...
    1. bobsco's Avatar
      bobsco -
      Cool. Thanks for the update. Very much appreciated.
    1. Nick Hesson's Avatar
      Nick Hesson -
      Quote Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
      So, does this mean Cydia will support multitasking soon? I hate how if I hit the home button by mistake or Cydia crashes, I have to wait for it to reload again...
      Cydia will probably never support multi-tasking due to the fact that some things need to be respringed, or restarted in order to make sure your phone doesn't brick itself.

      It is possible some sort of multitasking may be incorporated, like when you are browsing, but only Chpwn and Saurik will know those answers.
    1. sirwerd1's Avatar
      sirwerd1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
      So, does this mean Cydia will support multitasking soon? I hate how if I hit the home button by mistake or Cydia crashes, I have to wait for it to reload again...
      nope. the devs have explained that its not safe for cydia because while youre outside the app you could be changing things in the system that affect cydia packages
    1. hitman10's Avatar
      hitman10 -
      This firmware update will take the iPad to a whole new level.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      It is time for Modmyi to host a "Theme Cydia" contest. That app needs some serious help.
    1. hookedonkronix's Avatar
      hookedonkronix -
      Quote Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
      So, does this mean Cydia will support multitasking soon? I hate how if I hit the home button by mistake or Cydia crashes, I have to wait for it to reload again...
      It won't support multitasking. There is a package you can install to prevent Cydia from reloading. NoCyfresh I think.
    1. 5h4d0w's Avatar
      5h4d0w -
      Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
      Cydia will probably never support multi-tasking due to the fact that some things need to be respringed, or restarted in order to make sure your phone doesn't brick itself.

      It is possible some sort of multitasking may be incorporated, like when you are browsing, but only Chpwn and Saurik will know those answers.
      Quote Originally Posted by sirwerd1 View Post
      nope. the devs have explained that its not safe for cydia because while youre outside the app you could be changing things in the system that affect cydia packages
      Thanks for the replies, that makes perfect sense .


      I'm still debating on whether or not to update to 4.2, I really want to, but I also don't want to, because I would have to set up everything...AGAIN.
    1. DisneyRicky's Avatar
      DisneyRicky -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      It is time for Modmyi to host a "Theme Cydia" contest. That app needs some serious help.
      I second that! It looks so basic!
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
      Thanks for the replies, that makes perfect sense .


      I'm still debating on whether or not to update to 4.2, I really want to, but I also don't want to, because I would have to set up everything...AGAIN.
      If you're on an iPhone stay at 4.1. If you're on an iPad then it's worth the update.
    1. jose060789's Avatar
      jose060789 -
      Can anyone tell what's going to be new on 4.2 for iPhone 4?
      Thanks!


      Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
      Can anyone tell what's going to be new on 4.2 for iPhone 4?
      Thanks!


      Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
      Airplay and printing to name a couple things.
    1. 5h4d0w's Avatar
      5h4d0w -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      If you're on an iPhone stay at 4.1. If you're on an iPad then it's worth the update.
      I'm on an iPod Touch so unlocking isn't an issue for me. (if unlocking was your reasoning for not upgrading the phone)
    1. kickerman65's Avatar
      kickerman65 -
      Correct me if im wrong but isnt 4.2 supposed to give you the ability to set different text message tones for different contacts?
    1. l0k0's Avatar
      l0k0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
      Correct me if im wrong but isnt 4.2 supposed to give you the ability to set different text message tones for different contacts?
      Yup that too......and we get a cool new baseband to go along with it.

      The baseband is the coolest of the upgrades. Apple claims the new baseband will make ur battery life better? WTF, i have no clue.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Nice to see some progress, maybe we'll even see Cydia in HD!