• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Slapped With Laughable 'Location Tracking' Fine in South Korea


    Apple, one of the all-time most successful and highly-capitalized companies in human history, has been slapped with a fine in South Korea. The news of Apple's "penalty" is noteworthy, however, not so much because of the South Korean government's decision to issue a penalty, but because of the dollar amount of the fine.

    South Korea has fined Apple just shy of $3k for what it deems illegal location tracking. Yes, all of $3,000 - although it sounds much worse when currency conversion is employed (3 million won). Given that Apple earned $7.31 billion in its fiscal third quarter, I'm betting the boys and girls in Cupertino aren't sweating this one.

    Still, the fine is significant and worth reporting because it could influence regulators elsewhere, as the Associated Press speculated in its report on the minuscule fine out of Asia. Yet, as you can imagine, Apple takes to heart the criticism and accusation that it "tracks people."

    "Apple is not tracking the location of your iPhone," Steve Park, a local spokesman in Asia told the AP after the ruling was issued by the Korea Communications Commission. Despite the small fine, Apple's legal woes may not yet be over in South Korea. Attorney Kim Hyeong-seok is reportedly planning a class-action suit in a South Korean court against Apple regarding the issue of location tracking.

    Source: AP
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Slapped With Laughable 'Location Tracking' Fine in South Korea started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      I bet that big payout and those royalties to Nokia are laughable to eh? Apple is already paying for their misdoings.

      If you find that amusing, then here's something that will probably ruin your day which would most likely never have been reported on this site.

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-e..._b_903986.html

      Still laughing?
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      I might giggle a little bit if this was not already reported a while ago.
    1. ghostroke's Avatar
      ghostroke -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      I bet that big payout and those royalties to Nokia are laughable to eh? Apple is already paying for their misdoings.

      If you find that amusing, then here's something that will probably ruin your day which would most likely never have been reported on this site.

      Paul Everton: Apple Has Lost Its Way in HTC/Google Patent Lawsuit

      Still laughing?
      Yes very much!
    1. blwallace5's Avatar
      blwallace5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      I bet that big payout and those royalties to Nokia are laughable to eh? Apple is already paying for their misdoings.

      If you find that amusing, then here's something that will probably ruin your day which would most likely never have been reported on this site.

      Paul Everton: Apple Has Lost Its Way in HTC/Google Patent Lawsuit

      Still laughing?
      Yes. Still laughing at your pathetic attempts at trolling every news article. Cry cry cry.
    1. alien mars18's Avatar
      alien mars18 -
      Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
      Yes. Still laughing at your pathetic attempts at trolling every news article. Cry cry cry.
      Trolling with facts? I think that's called "not being ignorant".
    1. blwallace5's Avatar
      blwallace5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by alien mars18 View Post
      Trolling with facts? I think that's called "not being ignorant".
      Funny you should mention ignorant seeing as you are obviously ignorant to what trolling is. Trolling has nothing to do with being right or wrong; it has to do with posting something in an effort to illicit a negative response. If Rico posted his same tired diatribe once or twice, it would be adding to the conversation. Instead he posts his line about paying Nokia five times a day, to piss people off. But don't let FACTS get in the way of your argument.
    1. alien mars18's Avatar
      alien mars18 -
      Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
      Funny you should mention ignorant seeing as you are obviously ignorant to what trolling is. Trolling has nothing to do with being right or wrong; it has to do with posting something in an effort to illicit a negative response. If Rico posted his same tired diatribe once or twice, it would be adding to the conversation. Instead he posts his line about paying Nokia five times a day, to piss people off. But don't let FACTS get in the way of your argument.
      I'd rather be ignorant in what trolling is rather then trying to convince others I'm right because of biased brand loyalty.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
      Funny you should mention ignorant seeing as you are obviously ignorant to what trolling is. Trolling has nothing to do with being right or wrong; it has to do with posting something in an effort to illicit a negative response. If Rico posted his same tired diatribe once or twice, it would be adding to the conversation. Instead he posts his line about paying Nokia five times a day, to piss people off. But don't let FACTS get in the way of your argument.
      Yeah, and how many times a day have we heard the same tired "diatribe" about how Apple is owning the world, repeated over-glorified sales figures, their cash reserves, and pointless surveys about people who plan to switch to the iPhone that are about as in-accurate as surveys come.

      Funny how it's only trolling when someone doesn't suck the slimey Apple d!ck.

      There's nothing "laughable" about a lawsuit, no matter how much money is involved. Just because they have billions doesn't make it laughable. What....the courts shouldn't fine them because it's such a small amount? We should just throw the law out the window when small fines against multiple-billion dollar corporations are handed out?

      You know what I find laughable.....the mere fact that Apple has been through so many lawsuits that their lead patent attorney got burned out and dipped out from Apple. Or just the sheer number of patent lawsuits companies file against Apple which of course homers will just say is out of jealousy rather than the fact that Apple is not the "innovative" giant people try to make them out to be.

      And the last time I mentioned the Nokia lawsuit was in the thread about how Apple "surges past Nokia", but in typical one-dimensional fashion the writer (guess who) just happened to leave out the fact that Part of the reason Apple surged past Nokia is because of the patent features they use FROM NOKIA and pay them for. Somehow that little bit of info seems to be left out everytime. Instead some of the writers intentionally leave out certain information that might cast Apple in a negative light......and while this is a sight for Apple product fans......as an Apple product owner......I want to know ALL of the news regarding the company that makes my product......good OR bad.
    1. blwallace5's Avatar
      blwallace5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by alien mars18 View Post
      I'd rather be ignorant in what trolling is rather then trying to convince others I'm right because of biased brand loyalty.
      Could you show me where I have ever tried to convince anybody to switch to any Apple device or platform? I didn't think so. Could you show me where I have ever bashed any competitor of Apples product? I didn't think so.

      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      Yeah, and how many times a day have we heard the same tired "diatribe" about how Apple is owning the world, repeated over-glorified sales figures, their cash reserves, and pointless surveys about people who plan to switch to the iPhone that are about as in-accurate as surveys come.

      Funny how it's only trolling when someone doesn't suck the slimey Apple d!ck.

      There's nothing "laughable" about a lawsuit, no matter how much money is involved. Just because they have billions doesn't make it laughable. What....the courts shouldn't fine them because it's such a small amount? We should just throw the law out the window when small fines against multiple-billion dollar corporations are handed out?

      You know what I find laughable.....the mere fact that Apple has been through so many lawsuits that their lead patent attorney got burned out and dipped out from Apple. Or just the sheer number of patent lawsuits companies file against Apple which of course homers will just say is out of jealousy rather than the fact that Apple is not the "innovative" giant people try to make them out to be.
      You hear that "diatribe" because you are on an Apple website genius. Not a phone modding site, not a tech site, a site dedicated to Apple products. So yes, the news posted is going to pertain to Apple. Having a different viewpoint is not trolling; posting the same garbage two sentences you post every day is.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
      .
      You hear that "diatribe" because you are on an Apple website genius. Not a phone modding site, not a tech site, a site dedicated to Apple products. So yes, the news posted is going to pertain to Apple. Having a different viewpoint is not trolling; posting the same garbage two sentences you post every day is.
      No sh!t. But I don't need to hear it in every other damn article. Posting sales figures in an article that is about a software update release is irrelevant and unnecessary.

      I don't get tired of the news, but I DO get tired when writers intentionally leave out information to attempt to make Apple look better......if facts are gonna be posted.....post THE WHOLE FACTS. And until they do...I'll take care of the rest no matter how repetitive it becomes.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      No sh!t. But I don't need to hear it in every other damn article. Posting sales figures in an article that is about a software update release is irrelevant and unnecessary.

      I don't get tired of the news, but I DO get tired when writers intentionally leave out information to attempt to make Apple look better......if facts are gonna be posted.....post THE WHOLE FACTS. And until they do...I'll take care of the rest no matter how repetitive it becomes.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    1. alien mars18's Avatar
      alien mars18 -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      Wow! You sure told him!
    1. sammo123's Avatar
      sammo123 -
      Thank god people realized RICO is a tool
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
      Thank god people realized RICO is a tool
      Why? Because I make more sense and am more realistic than people who have nothing better to do other than to drop a "troll" or "tool" bomb on me?

      The truth stings doesn't it?
    1. bstunt10190's Avatar
      bstunt10190 -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      I bet that big payout and those royalties to Nokia are laughable to eh? Apple is already paying for their misdoings.

      If you find that amusing, then here's something that will probably ruin your day which would most likely never have been reported on this site.

      Paul Everton: Apple Has Lost Its Way in HTC/Google Patent Lawsuit

      Still laughing?
      you mad bro?
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by bstunt10190 View Post
      you mad bro?
      Mad at what?
    1. BlackRaider's Avatar
      BlackRaider -
      looks like these guys missed your point rico. maybe you need to dumb it down to their 12 year old mentality level.


      you guys talking spam, this "u mad" crap is just as bad if not worse. its too overused to be used anymore. think of something new.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackRaider View Post
      you guys talking spam, this "u mad" crap is just as bad if not worse. its too overused to be used anymore. think of something new.
      That's alright. I find it more "laughable" than this article.
    1. nebo1ss's Avatar
      nebo1ss -
      Why is this being reported now. It was in the Press like two weeks ago. Old news.