• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • PdaNet turns iPhone into Wi-Fi Hotspot


    Turning a smartphone into a Wi-Fi hotspot is nothing new, unless you have an iPhone. Today, June Fabrics released PdaNet, a jailbreak app that turns any iPhone into a Wi-Fi hotspot regardless of what network happens to be available. Obviously, an Edge connection will be painfully slow, but a decent 3G signal should provide enough bandwidth for most users to surf the web comfortably. According to June Fabric’s website, “PdaNet provides the fastest connection speed possible from your data service and data signal.”

    With PdaNet, users can enjoy the freedom of a personal Wi-Fi hub without the additional cost that most tethering plans bring with them. Some users may not want to create a Wi-Fi hotspot in a crowded coffee shop. If this is the case, users can connect an iPhone to a laptop via USB cable. A desktop client is required for this type of connection, luckily both Mac and Windows versions are available.



    According to PdaNet’s twitter feed, an iPad version is in the works. This is good news for iPad users. iOS 4.2 beta 2 was recently released to developers and the tethering preference that was present in earlier versions had been removed. This feature might have been removed by mistake, but it’s more likely that Apple removed it because of pressure from AT&T. We’ll just have to wait till November to find out if tethering makes it back into iOS 4.2 for iPad.

    Source: June Fabrics
    This article was originally published in forum thread: PdaNet turns iPhone into Wi-Fi Hotspot started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 106 Comments
    1. code3-ems's Avatar
      code3-ems -
      If you want to pay 20 bucks, no thanks...!
    1. Iam King's Avatar
      Iam King -
      Quote Originally Posted by VBLUE42 View Post
      I tried it right after reading this article and couldn't get it to work on a consistent basis. Went back to MyWi and all is good.
      I tried pdanet it work fine. Mywi is not
    1. Miz.Michele's Avatar
      Miz.Michele -
      Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
      first line of business :

      im gonns atart prunning some of these jerk posts soon accompanied by warnings to people who dont follow forum rules....an opinion is an opinion but conducting yourself like a child just because you dont like the news does not give you the right to insult the writer, the writers content , or another member....


      second line of business:

      if this creates a wifi hotspot and not an adhoc one where i can connect devices that dont cater to adhoc networking, sign me up! i paid for my MyWi and im loving it but it is limited to devices who can accept adhoc
      I read this post and thought my goodness how rude and obnoxious this poster is. Then I thought maybe someone was rude to him so he was being a baby so I read through the thread and just found people were simply expressing opinions....some more passionate than others. Seems like what a forum should be. We'd be a bunch of boring people if we all thought alike!

      Anyway, I've tried MyWi but couldn't justify the charge since I don't use it a lot so I downloaded the mobil configuration to let me tether and all is good. Because of this thread, I am going to check out PDA net so thanks.
    1. Miz.Michele's Avatar
      Miz.Michele -
      Update I downloaded PDA and it's great. I can tether already via USB but it's super handy to use the wifi. I like MyWi too but free works very well for me.
    1. drjailbreak's Avatar
      drjailbreak -
      MyWi is extremely buggy. I bought it and it actually disables my wifi which makes it so I cannot connect to any wifi. I get an error saying unable to connect to network even when I am at my house. It has also knocked out my unlock and I lost service. I contacted intelliborn several times and they have yet to offer me a solution. Another plus is pdanet is free which is a lot better than 19.99
    1. c1ockwerk's Avatar
      c1ockwerk -
      am i missing something here? everytime I open it it tells me it needs to initialize the router so i restart my phone and try again and get the same result.
    1. Miz.Michele's Avatar
      Miz.Michele -
      Quote Originally Posted by c1ockwerk View Post
      am i missing something here? everytime I open it it tells me it needs to initialize the router so i restart my phone and try again and get the same result.
      Did u download the 4.18 version? I downloaded it and then I clicked on the wifi and entered a Wep key and the adhoc network showed up on my laptop
    1. Iam King's Avatar
      Iam King -
      Quote Originally Posted by Miz.Michele View Post
      Did u download the 4.18 version? I downloaded it and then I clicked on the wifi and entered a Wep key and the adhoc network showed up on my laptop
      Were can I find version 4.18? The version I have 4.8 it's not working well when I shut it off cleaning mywi starts the mywi will not start until the phone is restarted.
    1. mastuul's Avatar
      mastuul -
      It's nice to have this updated to allow Wi-Fi tethering like MyWi does. I wonder what the limitations are for the free version. Anyone know?
    1. Miz.Michele's Avatar
      Miz.Michele -
      Quote Originally Posted by mastuul View Post
      It's nice to have this updated to allow Wi-Fi tethering like MyWi does. I wonder what the limitations are for the free version. Anyone know?
      Yes the free version does not let you go to sites that you have to log in to....the https ones after 14 days.
    1. Miz.Michele's Avatar
      Miz.Michele -
      Quote Originally Posted by Iam King View Post
      Were can I find version 4.18? The version I have 4.8 it's not working well when I shut it off cleaning mywi starts the mywi will not start until the phone is restarted.
      It is on cydia. You can go to junefabri s.com and see what it says there. But you're talking about mywi and I'm talking about PDA net. Sorry if I misunderstood.
    1. TheAccuser's Avatar
      TheAccuser -
      Really? MMI is deleting my posts now because they disagreed with something I said? I wasn't vulgar. I didn't break any rules. This is a bunch of crap that shouldn't be tolerated by the MMI community.

      Anyone at the MMI staff care to discuss?

      For those of you that missed it, I asked if PdaNet was a sponser...or to put it in other terms...paying MMI to post this horribly biased PdaNet blurb.

      I'm sure this will be deleted too...or are the MMI users not allowed to express their opinion?
    1. Curious D's Avatar
      Curious D -
      This version is "PDANet for Free" on Cydia, right? I don't see a pay version on the Cydia site so I'm guessing it is an in-app purchase. I understand that the free version is limited websites that do not require secure log in (unrestricted before 14 days, right?). If I wanted to allow my son's iPod Touch to link to the net to play games requiring sign in (such as Plus, OpenFeint) or other services that require signing in, will it be able to sign in with the free version? Do these gaming services or application utilize SSL for sign in even though one doesn't visit a website to log in?
    1. EskimoRuler's Avatar
      EskimoRuler -
      Found MyWi very useful. Haven't tried PDAnet though
    1. Miz.Michele's Avatar
      Miz.Michele -
      Quote Originally Posted by Curious D View Post
      This version is "PDANet for Free" on Cydia, right? I don't see a pay version on the Cydia site so I'm guessing it is an in-app purchase. I understand that the free version is limited websites that do not require secure log in (unrestricted before 14 days, right?). If I wanted to allow my son's iPod Touch to link to the net to play games requiring sign in (such as Plus, OpenFeint) or other services that require signing in, will it be able to sign in with the free version? Do these gaming services or application utilize SSL for sign in even though one doesn't visit a website to log in?
      Yes it's the free one and you update via in app purchase. From what I read after 14 days you can't visit a site that requires a pw so not sure about the games. You can visit their site and look over their q and a or emIl their support to get a definitive answer.
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheAccuser View Post
      Really? MMI is deleting my posts now because they disagreed with something I said? I wasn't vulgar. I didn't break any rules. This is a bunch of crap that shouldn't be tolerated by the MMI community.

      Anyone at the MMI staff care to discuss?

      For those of you that missed it, I asked if PdaNet was a sponser...or to put it in other terms...paying MMI to post this horribly biased PdaNet blurb.

      I'm sure this will be deleted too...or are the MMI users not allowed to express their opinion?
      We just don't like you. Shut up and go away clown.
    1. Miz.Michele's Avatar
      Miz.Michele -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheAccuser View Post
      Really? MMI is deleting my posts now because they disagreed with something I said? I wasn't vulgar. I didn't break any rules. This is a bunch of crap that shouldn't be tolerated by the MMI community.

      Anyone at the MMI staff care to discuss?

      For those of you that missed it, I asked if PdaNet was a sponser...or to put it in other terms...paying MMI to post this horribly biased PdaNet blurb.

      I'm sure this will be deleted too...or are the MMI users not allowed to express their opinion?
      I was wondering why everyone was getting all fired up. I guess it was because of your post. I did not see it so I can't comment on it. I believe that everyone has the right to their opinion....although i respect the fact that the mods have to do their best to make sure no one is too out there I can say that I'm a new member and I have pretty strong opinions and have not had any posts deleted. Perhaps you came off way mean and strong and didn't realize you came off that way? Again I did not see the post so I'm not accusing. I think we are all entitled to our opinions and to share it on a forum but need to find the right balance.
    1. z3r01's Avatar
      z3r01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheAccuser View Post
      Really? MMI is deleting my posts now because they disagreed with something I said? I wasn't vulgar. I didn't break any rules. This is a bunch of crap that shouldn't be tolerated by the MMI community.

      Anyone at the MMI staff care to discuss?

      For those of you that missed it, I asked if PdaNet was a sponser...or to put it in other terms...paying MMI to post this horribly biased PdaNet blurb.

      I'm sure this will be deleted too...or are the MMI users not allowed to express their opinion?
      I deleted your post because we don't tolerate bashing the writers...ur rant was rather a complaint about the writer then an opinion itself that couldnt be challenged nor talked about...when someone gives an opinion , we debate about said opinion. Your argument couldn't really be debated nor challenged because it was crap being thrown at the writer just because it wasn't to your liking...other people on this thread posted opinions and Carried conversations...ur post was just taking up un necessary space...now it didn't follow the warning but I'm giving it now..refrain from bashing the writers if it's not something u like, don't read it nor comment useless posts on why you think it shouldn't be posted...that's a warning...please enjoy the rest of MMi...I'm not gonna back and forward with u...this is childish really...follow rules...


      Back to topic:

      I installed and noticed it wiped out my MyWi and it didn't work so I went back to my $19.99
    1. santiagodraco's Avatar
      santiagodraco -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyrob2g View Post
      Don't like it?........ Don't read it.




      This site is a free source of news and information specific to apple and idevices, this is info about an app for the iPhone that not everybody knows about. If you don't like it go else where but they are posting the same thing. If the writers didn't post this stuff all the people ******** about this post would be ******** because it's takes to long for new "relevant" "news worthy" post to happen. Quit ********. If you don't like it then don't read it.
      Lol

      I guess the fact that the article makes PDANet sound like some kind of brand new app never seen before just completely escaped you huh?
    1. xlr846s's Avatar
      xlr846s -
      Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
      that is................................................ .......
      Wait for it................................................ .........
      Called............................................ ...
      Mywi!...

      Way better than pdanet. I've owned both. Mywi doesn't require a desktop client. Mywi is way faster, despite pdanets "claims" that they are. Mywi's ui is much easier as well....god, and guess what.... We've had it for quite some time now.
      this is free & works